What's new

Revealed: Why Sri Lanka Backed Off the Sino-Pakistani JF-17 Thunder

I will just post what I said in other thread:

India will never allow any sale of major defence equipment by Pakistan to India's neighbours(excluding China but obviously China will never buy from Pakistan).
Only reason India allowed sale of K-8s and MBT-2000s to Myanmar and Bangladesh is because they were manufactured and exported by China with no Pakistani involvement in the deals.
Pakistan is not even involved in the maintenance of these systems in those two nations.

The reason India is opposed to such deals is because Pakistani exports could lead permanent basing of Pakistanis in these nations for maintenance and training etc.

Out of the 7 original South asian states ... except Pakistan and India ... only 2 other nations possess a proper airforce .. which would be the Bangladesh airforce (BAF), the Srilankan airforce --

For BAF:-

-Out of a total of around 50 fighter aircrafts of BAF 40 are different versions of the Chinese J-7's ...
-Out of a total of around 50 primary and advanced trainer aircraft of different origins, a total of 31 are from Chinese origin (PT-6 and K-8)

For SLAF:-

-Out of a total 22 combat aircrafts, 7 are Chinese J-7's .
-Out of a total of 7 trainer aircrafts, 6 are of Chinese origin (K-8 + FT-7)

If you want to consider Myanmer then for Myanmar airforce :-

-Out of a total of around 55-60 combat aircrafts for Myanmar airforce, 25-30 are of Chinese origin (J-7/ J-6 and Q-5)
-Out of a total of 50-60 trainer aircrafts for Myanmar around 18-20 are Chinese (while another order for Chinese origin trainers i.e K-8 is already in the process of delivery)

So, time to wake up from the India "allowing" other nations to do XYZ day dreams, because as it stands India couldn't stop ANY of its neighboring smaller nations to rely on Chinese equipment ... The setback for FC-1/JFT if true, is only a matter of time ... as stated before, if the deal is to have free of cost Mig-27's delivered to the SLAF, its just a matter of time when the need arises for a newer capable fighter to replace the obsolete fighter which is quite crash prone ... then it'll be back to square one for Indian lobbyists as FC-1/JFT would automatically move back in to the consideration set of the SLAF ...

Last edited:
In fact, the Chinese are superbly smart that way. Instead of matching USA carrier-to-carrier, they simply developed the anti-carrier missiles. Even if 90% of them are intercepted midway, the 10% entering the radius will destroy the intended target and its other accompanying ships. For less than half the money of a carrier.

Sorry for going off-topic ...
It's a little bit more complicated than that. They should work more on long range SAMs. It's not the carriers they should be worried about...it's the planes on them...or for that matter Air Force planes too. The US can park planes in air bases throughout the world and easily blow up any ship (or plane) that goes outside the safety net of China's defended territory.

When the switch is made to killer flying autonomous drones (which will have drone to drone aerial refueling) the job will be made a lot tougher.

Last edited:
Out of the 7 original South asian states ... except Pakistan and India ... only 2 other nations possess a proper airforce .. which would be the Bangladesh airforce (BAF), the Srilankan airforce --

For BAF:-

-Out of a total of around 50 fighter aircrafts of BAF 40 are different versions of the Chinese J-7's ...
-Out of a total of around 50 primary and advanced trainer aircraft of different origins, a total of 31 are from Chinese origin (PT-6 and K-8)

For SLAF:-

-Out of a total 22 combat aircrafts, 7 are Chinese J-7's .
-Out of a total of 7 trainer aircrafts, 6 are of Chinese origin (K-8 + FT-7)

If you want to consider Myanmer then for Myanmar airforce :-

-Out of a total of around 55-60 combat aircrafts for Myanmar airforce, 25-30 are of Chinese origin (J-7/ J-6 and Q-5)
-Out of a total of 50-60 trainer aircrafts for Myanmar around 18-20 are Chinese (while another order for Chinese origin trainers i.e K-8 is already in the process of delivery)

So, time to wake up from the India "allowing" other nations to do XYZ day dreams, because as it stands India couldn't stop ANY of its neighboring smaller nations to rely on Chinese equipment ... The setback for FC-1/JFT if true, is only a matter of time ... as stated before, if the deal is to have free of cost Mig-27's delivered to the SLAF, its just a matter of time when the need arises for a newer capable fighter to replace the obsolete fighter which is quite crash prone ... then it'll be back to square one for Indian lobbyists as FC-1/JFT would automatically move back in to the consideration set of the SLAF ...
We do not have any thing against Chinese exports to SL, BD and Burma.China is our rival not our enemy.But in the case of Pakistan its the exact opposite.

And I here I was thinking that India and Indians don't give two hoots about Pakistan and what it does. I thought it was a disgrace to be even compared to and compete with Pakistan.

As so many Indians have said it so many times 'Nobody in India cares about Pakistan'. Yes, nobody except good for nothing Indian government. Get well soon neighbors.

who told you that?? We are on to you day and night and don't ever underestimate your enemy.

If you have noticed India did not give two hoots about what Pakistan,we did not ask Pakistan to sell the planes to SL,but we asked SL not to buy the plane.
Anyway they can get much better planes than this one and if SL is threatened by some one they have the whole IAF behind them.:-)

If you have noticed India did not give two hoots about what Pakistan,we did not ask Pakistan to sell the planes to SL,but we asked SL not to buy the plane.
Anyway they can get much better planes than this one and if SL is threatened by some one they have the whole IAF behind them.:-)

Chotu,

I shouldn't but let me break this to you. In the end the only person that you can really count on is you and this goes for geopolitics as well. No country has 'all' of another country's air force behind it.

P.S. By the 'whole' IAF, do you mean the fighters which are available and able to fly or paper tigers as well?

who told you that?? We are on to you day and night and don't ever underestimate your enemy.

Who told me that? Well, just about every Indian who joins this forum and opens his account by stating how India is miles ahead of Pakistan and only concerned about China now.

And I don't consider you an enemy, I consider you a dear friend for being so gullible about the info fed to you.

They will buy no place to go once they see JF-17 around Asia and Africa flying and doing their duty .

Chotu,

I shouldn't but let me break this to you. In the end the only person that you can really count on is you and this goes for geopolitics as well. No country has 'all' of another country's air force behind it.

P.S. By the 'whole' IAF, do you mean the fighters which are available and able to fly or paper tigers as well?

Who told me that? Well, just about every Indian who joins this forum and opens his account by stating how India is miles ahead of Pakistan and only concerned about China now.

And I don't consider you an enemy, I consider you a dear friend for being so gullible about the info fed to you.

I told you my opinion. You should also know we don't always view your country in positive light when it comes to regional peace. So, our foreign policy will always undermine your regional influence.

I very much doubt that Indians would presume to push Sri Lanka (or anyother country) in this matter and in this manner. And even more doubtful that SL would listen to them. More likely that SL is using this ploy to get a better deal from China.

Normal Indian propaganda.

"If true, Sri Lanka’s decision to hold back on the purchase of JF-17 fighters"
Sri Lanka should consult Russia and France.

We do not have any thing against Chinese exports to SL, BD and Burma.China is our rival not our enemy.But in the case of Pakistan its the exact opposite.

A rival that you have had a war with, that as per you is holding YOUR land ... it's almost as if your rationalizing that your subservient to China when it comes to influence ...

Coming to your original post ... which was talking about how your fine with China doing business ... more like you couldn't do $hit about those deals ... but since this is a Pakistani deal you'll block it ... The silver lining being that atleast one of our Indian friends acknowledges that PAC and Pakistan had something to do with this project --- unlike the vast majority of Indian friends going about how its completely Chinese and whatnot ...

However, your post is just funny, where you act like a helpless child when saying "China is our rival and we don't mind it doing business" .... but when its Pakistan and suddenly the claims of cancellation of the deal are surfacing the likes of you go ... "hahah ... Pakistan is our enemy and this is what we do to our enemy" ...

A rival that you have had a war with, that as per you is holding YOUR land ... it's almost as if your rationalizing that your subservient to China when it comes to influence ...

Coming to your original post ... which was talking about how your fine with China doing business ... more like you couldn't do $hit about those deals ... but since this is a Pakistani deal you'll block it ... The silver lining being that atleast one of our Indian friends acknowledges that PAC and Pakistan had something to do with this project --- unlike the vast majority of Indian friends going about how its completely Chinese and whatnot ...

However, your post is just funny, where you act like a helpless child when saying "China is our rival and we don't mind it doing business" .... but when its Pakistan and suddenly the claims of cancellation of the deal are surfacing the likes of you go ... "hahah ... Pakistan is our enemy and this is what we do to our enemy" ...
Looks like reality is biting you.Just underlining your post is not going to add any substance to it.

I will just post what I said in other thread:

India will never allow any sale of major defence equipment by Pakistan to India's neighbours(excluding China but obviously China will never buy from Pakistan).
Only reason India allowed sale of K-8s and MBT-2000s to Myanmar and Bangladesh is because they were manufactured and exported by China with no Pakistani involvement in the deals.
Pakistan is not even involved in the maintenance of these systems in those two nations.

The reason India is opposed to such deals is because Pakistani exports could lead permanent basing of Pakistanis in these nations for maintenance and training etc.

If your logic (which is stupid) is accepted, then SLAF can get JFTs through China. :D

New Delhi included a negative technical assessment of the JF-17 and “pointed out that [Sri Lanka’s] defense requirements did not need fighters.”

Source: Revealed: Why Sri Lanka Backed Off the Sino-Pakistani JF-17 Thunder

Amazing to See that #India is assisting #Srilanka for her defense, what to buy and not to. As India Did with #Nepal. But now Nepal also rise up and know what India is doing with them, and they will also not be the part of their #AkhandBharath Drama, According to which, India Suggesting Srilanka not to buy Defense goods, so Indian Forces will be deployed to defend Srilanka, #Nepal, #Bhutan and #Maldives. and to Cover up #Bangladesh to make a NATO like Umbrella.. and earn from them to defend them.
All of them are Independent and Sovereign Country, and they can have their Defense and forces strong enough to conquer any of the internal or External threats and challenges.,. Without giving others any political gains..

Looks like reality is biting you.Just underlining your post is not going to add any substance to it.

Someone whose entire point is based on the reasoning "China is our rival and it's okay if they sell equipment to our neighbors " while acting all high and mighty about "Indian influence" shouldn't be talking of "substance" .. unless ofcourse your smoking it ... :crazy_pilot:

Back
Top Bottom