What's new

Report: Israel seeks sale of fighter jets to Greece

1000VA

Reaction score
Country
India
Report: Israel seeks sale of fighter jets to Greece
15 December 2010, Wednesday

A senior Israeli defense delegation from the Israeli Defense Ministry and local military industries reportedly traveled to Greece this week to discuss a possible deal to sell F-16 fighter jets.

Israel’s Jerusalem Post quoted Israeli officials on Sunday that this deal has been in progress for several months already, since Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s historic visit to Greece this August.

Israel and Greece, both Turkey’s rivals, have conducted several joint air drills in the past year following a debacle in diplomatic and military relations between Turkey and the Jewish state particularly following the flotilla incident, an Israeli bungle over an aid boat that left nine civilians killed. Greece has long complained of the flights of Turkish fighter jets over the Aegean, what it calls a “violation of its airspace.”

Greece recently ended negotiations with Russia to import 450 infantry fighting vehicles amid its financial crisis, news reports said on Nov. 22. Greece, one of Europe’s top military spenders, has said earlier that it would postpone any purchases of warships or fighter planes as it struggled to pull itself out of a financial crisis that pushed it close to bankruptcy.

Due to decades-long tension with Turkey, debt-ridden Greece has the EU’s biggest military budget as a percentage of gross domestic product, and the second highest in NATO after the United States. It is in talks with France over the purchase of six FREMM frigates, while Germany, France and others are eager to sell the country 40 fighter jets. However, Greek Alternate Defense Minister Panos Beglitis, who is in charge of military procurement, said in an interview in June that Greece will hold off on any purchase.

Turkey has called on Greece several times to relinquish its vast military spending due to a protracted dispute over Aegean with Turkey, but Greece has since remained contemptuous to these calls. The neighboring countries have disagreed about sea and air borders for almost 15 years.

The report also said Israel would continue to cooperate with Greece and was also likely to hold maneuvers in Bulgaria in the beginning of 2011, Israeli officials noted.

Turkey has also excluded Greece from the list of countries that are a threat to national security in its recently approved security document, but instead included Israel as a threat to its national security.

They are broke... all they can affort is Russian or second hand ones.

Yes they are !! Thats why Israel is trying to sell some crappy, old weapons to Greece ...

The mythical Zeus is broken how can greeks even afford a max $20 million israeli F-16A Netz Block 5/10 originally purchased between 1978 and arrived delivered in 1980-81.

Greece is in tough situations financial term and I think 10-15 million per piece not a bad deal at all

Well they are not much capable but some thing is batter than nothing

If they get those FREMM frigates they will pull ahead of our navy. We should keep an eye on this procurement and act accordingly. Possibly speeding up TF-2000 project would be best to counter this.

It has to be affirmed here that isrealis got succeeded in almost all deals.

Short on cash yet greeks might under isreali pressure opt for these F-16As Netz Block 10 1 Squadron tweaked upgraded MLUs before delivery.
At $20 million 20X20 or $400M for a squadron.

as per usual you guys haven't a clear understanding of what you are commenting on.

Greece has the largest spending percentage of GDP in Nato countries, second only to the USA. Do you honestly believe that that has anything to do with how much money you have ? These people WILL sell weapons to Greece no matter if Greece wants them or not.

I thought you guys would be more informed on the lobbying situations in Nato.

Besides, the country's GDP to a large extend remains unchanged. It is the fact that banks do not loan Greece cheaply anymore that has choked the economy.

LM is constantly pestering Greece for the F35, to the point where it gets ridiculous. and it wants the new modernisation programme for the F16
The russians want badly to sell the Su35 & Pak Fa (total of about 80 planes)
and the Eurofighter guys are just to be pitied .

The Navy got the FREMMS and new submarines, and the army goes through modernisation.

Israelis want to sell old F16s but the HAFs position is that it will be a 4.5 + or 5th gen new plane or no plane..

Besides, a new plane procurement will cost around 2.5 bn euros, these much, we can get.. that is not an issue.
We'll just opt NOT to pay a German bank that invested in Greek bonds or something and hence find the money ..

amalakas..Then you might need to open greece economy thread we'll discuss there specifics. This thread is israel seeking to sell old airframes to greece.

amalakas..Then you might need to open greece economy thread we'll discuss there specifics. This thread is israel seeking to sell old airframes to greece.

before one makes a valid comment, one needs to understand.
:coffee:

I understood that is why I've suggest you to open a new thread tagging it "Dieing Economy". Learn manners and post according to the thread topic.

I understood that is why I've suggest you to open a new thread tagging it "Dieing Economy". Learn manners and post according to the thread topic.

that is what i meant. the original comment was directly related to this thread. if u can't get it, it's not my fault.
:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom