What's new

Racism alive in India: Story of Kim Barrington Narisetti

A Racist Turn in India

NEW DELHI — The Africans — Nigerians, Ghanaians, Ugandans — began leaving my neighborhood in New Delhi around December. Each week, more and more families exited. Some went to parts of Delhi considered more accepting of Africans; others to areas where the residents were thought to be less interfering in general. I have heard that some of the Ghanaian families had gone back to Africa, but I don’t know that for sure.

For years, they had been a part of the swirl of cultures, languages and races that makes up this part of the capital. The Nigerian women in their bright dresses out for evening strolls and the Cameroonian family with the curious-eyed baby at the ice-cream van had made a life for themselves alongside the Afghans, Tamils and Iranians.

On Oct. 31, about a month before the departures started, a Nigerian national, rumored to have been in the drug trade, was found dead in Goa. Nigerians in the coastal state protested his murder as an act of racism, while posters read: “We want peace in Goa. Say no to Nigerians. Say no to drugs.” One state minister threatened to throw out Nigerians living illegally. Another equated them with a cancer. He later apologized, adding that he hadn’t imagined there would be a “problem” with his statement.

The controversy has reverberated across the country, including in Delhi, 1,200 miles away, where the tolerance of African neighbors has turned into suspicion and even hostility.

One night, a police constable rang my doorbell. “Have you seen any man from the Congo entering and leaving the building?” he asked. “African man,” he clarified. He said he had received a report that a local resident was friendly with Africans, and he wanted to know, was this true? The question surprised me; neighborhood battles here are waged over water and parking spaces, not over ethnicity. Now neighbors had become nervous of neighbors.

Once the African communities had been singled out, complaints against them bubbled up like filthy water, in Jangpura, in Khirki Extension, in the alleyways off Paharganj, anywhere in Delhi they lived.

The fragile hospitality gave way to a familiar litany of intolerance: They were too loud, exuberant and dirty; the women were loose, the men looked you directly in the eye, they were drug takers and traffickers, and worse.

Residents of Khirki Extension, whose rambling lanes had seen an influx of artists, journalists and migrants, conducted their own investigation of their African neighbors, which they called the “black beauty” sting.

Coinciding with the city’s darkening mood, the newly elected Aam Aadmi Party in Delhi started a wave of cleanups as part of its mission to control “lawlessness.” The city’s law minister, Somnath Bharti, led a raid into Khirki Extension, claiming to be acting on residents’ complaints that Nigerians and Ugandans were involved in prostitution and drug trafficking. Media reports suggest that on the night of Jan. 15, he entered Africans’ homes with a group of vigilantes, without a warrant. In the fracas, a Ugandan woman was allegedly forced to give a urine sample, on the street, in the middle of the crowd. After she filed a complaint, Delhi’s court ordered the Police Department to pursue her case against Mr. Bharti.

These recent events have awakened dormant prejudices against Africans in India, aggravated by our tendency to prize fair skin over dark. “Habshi,” derived from the word “Abyssinian,” has become a common epithet for people of African descent.

So, on one hand, the racist turn in Delhi and Goa is unsurprising. On the other hand, we have a long, and neglected, history of cross-migration with Africa. While Indians have been settling on that continent since at least the 15th century, African roots in India run even deeper. Africans were brought over in numbers around the 13th century as slaves, but also as generals, guards, merchants, bodyguards and craftsmen. Many never went back. Now tens of thousands are here to study, and others work as chefs and in the garment and textile businesses, among other industries.

Despite our close ties and the shared history of colonialism, Africa doesn’t figure on the Indian map of curiosity and desire. Our admiration of China’s economic prowess is commonplace and unabashed; we are obsessed with the West, in terms of education, ideals of beauty and economic might. But Africa is invisible. Racist views can be spouted without consequence. Africa simply doesn’t matter.

There will be few repercussions for the Aam Aadmi Party if it continues with blanket policies against Africans. The party won on the promise of change, yet here it is, proving that it shares the same blindness as other, older parties.

These days, the Afghans and Indians stroll in my neighborhood park, enjoying the winter breeze. The Ghanaian and Cameroonian families moved away when their landlords doubled the rent only for them; the young Nigerian women left after one police visit too many.

Delhi’s residents say that the city belongs to everybody, because it belongs to nobody. As Bangalore and Mumbai became insular possessions, with political parties often driving out anyone who was from elsewhere, the capital claimed that it had room for all kinds of migrants, expats and outsiders. If the Aam Aadmi Party continues the divisiveness that older parties have excelled at, we’ll soon find reasons to go after all the people who live differently from “us,” who don’t belong here, who should go back to the places they came from.

Nilanjana S. Roy is an essayist and critic, and author of the novel “The Wildings.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/25/opinion/roy-the-wrong-kind-of-foreigner.html?_r=0

Most of our texts were written when we had no knowledge. Sun god rain god yea right because they were so mystical no one knew how sun shines how rains pour so GOD. now that we know it does not make sense any more.

No. you say this because you are an Asura =P Those blasphemous Beef and pork ribs have gone to your head :D

Mind sharing the recipe someday =P

You just said it was statistics, now it's experience LMAO:rofl:

Yes, because Bengalis are much more fair skinned then Punjabi's, Rajasthanis, Himachalis, Haryanvis and Kashmiris. Nothing wrong with it but facts are facts.

Have some respect, you can't even comprehend Hindu beliefs and this thread has nothing to do with Religion so grow up and learn how to act in society.

Lmao, I've seen the Sikh Punjabis in my school they're all medium brown to dark except 1 or 2, they were Swali's or Landas or Singhs. Great you've mentioned North Indian ethnic groups what about the others? Please enlighten me with your Tamil Nadoo brethren and all these other South Indian areas. What about Central Indians. I've seen equal amounts of fair skinned Bangladeshis as well as Punjabis, they're not much different.

Yes I admit the Kashmiris are REALLY fair, most of the Pakistani Kashmiris in high school and Uni were are most of the time fair, but the Punjabis, you're having laugh, everyone I've seen is the medium Brown or dark, the same colour as my Bangladeshi mates. Most of the Sylhetis in the UK have a South East Asian skin tone etc...I can't be bothered explaining.

I would show your a skin colour map, but I'm not that sad and I don't suffer from an inferiority complex. Honestly, in my country no on gives a damn about skin colour, it only occurs internally in families, but I think we all know about India. I'm going to leave it at that.

No. you say this because you are an Asura =P Those blasphemous Beef and pork ribs have gone to your head :D

Mind sharing the recipe someday =P

It is really easy. Give me some time. I will do it. K here goes:

I like my ribs kinda sweet so hope you do not mind.

So first you skin the ribs. Do not forget this step very important. After skinning it takes like 15 minutes for newbies and a couple of minutes for veterans :P

Then you add: salt garlic powder ginger powder some pepper and brown sugar (to taste) brown sugar = sugar processed to brown not drugs. Then do it for both sides then you add the Rib sauce. I like the Argentenian one It is called ChimmiChurri. Let the spices sit for 15 minutes. Then wrap in silver foil. Make sure you added enough sauce so it is wetty and that it wont stick to foil. Then you put it in oven for 1h 15 min at like 400F. Then you take it out flip it over another 15 minutes and done. Delicious Pork Ribs. You can make other ribs in similar ways just check temp so it doesnt burn

Last edited:
Lmao, I've seen the Sikh Punjabis in my school they're all medium brown to dark except 1 or 2, they were Swali's or Landas or Singhs. Great you've mentioned North Indian ethnic groups what about the others? Please enlighten me with your Tamil Nadoo brethren and all these other South Indian areas. What about Central Indians. I've seen equal amounts of fair skinned Bangladeshis as well as Punjabis, they're not much different.

Yes I admit the Kashmiris are REALLY fair, most of the Pakistani Kashmiris in high school and Uni were are most of the time fair, but the Punjabis, you're having laugh, everyone I've seen is the medium Brown or dark, the same colour as my Bangladeshi mates. Most of the Sylhetis in the UK have a South East Asian skin tone etc...I can't be bothered explaining.

I would show your a skin colour map, but I'm not that sad and I don't suffer from an inferiority complex. Honestly, in my country no on gives a damn about skin colour, it only occurs internally in families, but I think we all know about India. I'm going to leave it at that.
I don't have an inferiority complex but you were generalising all groups in India as one single colour, have you seen Rajasthanis or Himachalis? There were Punjabis in my School who were also same color as Bengalis but they where Chamars, Jatts are completely different. BTW I never said Bengalis where dark in fact there's a lot of mixture in them. I born and raised in East London so I got experience with Bengalis. Really? You started this with the comment about Africans and Indians so don't play victim lmao.

I don't have an inferiority complex but you were generalising all groups in India as one single colour, have you seen Rajasthanis or Himachalis? There were Punjabis in my School who were also same color as Bengalis but they where Chamars, Jatts are completely different. BTW I never said Bengalis where dark in fact there's a lot of mixture in them. I born and raised in East London so I got experience with Bengalis. Really? You started this with the comment about Africans and Indians so don't play victim lmao.

I said this stuff wouldn't happen in Bangladesh, so I don't get what I started. My intention wasn't to generalise, there is nothing wrong with being dark skinned, in fact one should be proud if they are. I have met so many Jatts and many of them are medium brown.

Check the thread I didn't start the fire. What's the point to comprehend? Religion is an outdated belief. Hinduism even more so. I mean.... Now I'm done being off-topic. I'm a Douche on the Net, but a gentlemen IRL.

I wouldn't doubt that for a minute. chinese struggle to maintain eye contact with people.

If you don't (want to ) believe it, does not mean it does not happen! The very reason you don't want to believe it is the proof that it happens.

this is obviosly fake ,, i being an Indian donot agree with any of her experience. 8 years old throwing a rock .....dark skin racism...this is obviously not true. she has gone tooo far.

A young boy of about 8 was riding on the back of his bike with his father. As they passed us, he hurled a huge rock the size of a fist at me.

Never new 8 year olds carried rocks with them. That, or he was a good gymnast to pick up a rock on a running bike!

Many Indians are racists and most even dont know what is racism.
I would imagine she would have been better off living in south ( not because south indians are darker but because they are not in your face racist).
This is what I would face if I travel to eastern europe (was told by a polish guy not sure how true).

I agree about living in south. I found south Indians to be much more civilized and disciplined than North Indians. Suggest all my friends here never to visit North India, particularly the Delhi-UP belt that foreigners are so infatuated with, all the while telling them to go to Karnataka/Kerala belt!

On topic, many foreigners (women) mistake Indian staring at them as something sexual or condescending in this case. Which I think is not, Indians are somehow just fascinated with foreigners. Remember reading some white guy's account, who was amused that some Indians wanted to take a group photo with him in centre, as if he is more of a monument than the Taj Mahal behind them.

Last edited:
There is definitely no place for racism in India. Any Indians in here admitting to the problem in India are the ones that will make a difference. The ones who deny racism or even attack this African author are the ones that are the real racist in India.

If all Indians are racist, how come this lady is married to one? And she also visits his family in racist India?

It is really easy. Give me some time. I will do it. K here goes:

I like my ribs kinda sweet so hope you do not mind.

So first you skin the ribs. Do not forget this step very important. After skinning it takes like 15 minutes for newbies and a couple of minutes for veterans :P

Then you add: salt garlic powder ginger powder some pepper and brown sugar (to taste) brown sugar = sugar processed to brown not drugs. Then do it for both sides then you add the Rib sauce. I like the Argentenian one It is called ChimmiChurri. Let the spices sit for 15 minutes. Then wrap in silver foil. Make sure you added enough sauce so it is wetty and that it wont stick to foil. Then you put it in oven for 1h 15 min at like 400F. Then you take it out flip it over another 15 minutes and done. Delicious Pork Ribs. You can make other ribs in similar ways just check temp so it doesnt burn

Let me copy this this to word. Thanks :tup:

Back
Top Bottom