What's new

Question for techies--Surveillance cam setup

looks really pricey... more for business use than home use... :cheesy:
how much is it in INR?
no idea; a classmate who works in this sector said he can provide a few units at a third of the retail cost.
1080p and 100ft of night vision plus a sony sensor make it seem like a good unit.

the friend just emailed, he can get it for $350 (INR 21,780)

Go on ebay buy dvr for 8 cam with 1 T hard disk
Buy 8 cam with night vision with motion detection
You spend less then $500
I have qsee 4 cam

Go on ebay buy dvr for 8 cam with 1 T hard disk
Buy 8 cam with night vision with motion detection
You spend less then $500
I have qsee 4 cam
yes that is my last option. i am curious to build my own modular system.
if i fail in my nerdy endeavor, i shall bow down and buy a pre-built system.

If you really are into soldering IC's and shiz then one my mates built a security system by pulling web cams from notebooks and 3g wifi routers (cheap tplinks) and using a raspberry pi and dd-wrt on 1043nd to record and stream it through u-stream.

If you really are into soldering IC's and shiz then one my mates built a security system by pulling web cams from notebooks and 3g wifi routers (cheap tplinks) and using a raspberry pi and dd-wrt on 1043nd to record and stream it through u-stream.
i've used webcam for a POC. but usually they don't have good enough night vision capability, hence my move towards proper security cams.
I plan on using milestone's surveillance software and my personal NAS for storage.

also, no plans on soldering anything. i'm a married man;the wife would poison my food if I tried all that :P

cam under consideration:
QCN8002B
31us3bEJ%2BQL.jpg

i've used webcam for a POC. but usually they don't have good enough night vision capability, hence my move towards proper security cams.
I plan on using milestone's surveillance software and my personal NAS for storage.

also, no plans on soldering anything. i'm a married man;the wife would poison my food if I tried all that :P

cam under consideration:
QCN8002B
31us3bEJ%2BQL.jpg
LOL! He used those 2M HD web cams.

Holy Moly that cam cost $600.....lol he had a 4 cam set-up for 200 bucks.

LOL! He used those 2M HD web cams.

Holy Moly that cam cost $600.....lol he had a 4 cam set-up for 200 bucks.
there are a few problems with consumer grade webcams:
*vulnerable to weather elements
*no night vision capability
*USB cable length limitations
*most webcams do not have on-board H.264 compression, that's a lot of raw feed.

The potential house we are looking at is 4300sq ft, USB cables won't work with that size of property.

The potential house we are looking at is 4300sq ft, USB cables won't work with that size of property.
Nah! I recommended you this because you said you were going to start from the scratch.
All the four cameras are connected by wifi.He's a mechatronics guy,so he was able to pull it off.Not sure about the specifics though :whistle:

will all your cams be outside?

will all your cams be outside?
yes. . . .

Nah! I recommended you this because you said you were going to start from the scratch.
All the four cameras are connected by wifi.He's a mechatronics guy,so he was able to pull it off.Not sure about the specifics though :whistle:
i have seen some of the wifi cams, but the issues of weather-proofing, actual image quality and night vision still remain.

do you know what model of the cams were used?

i also wonder how the wifi bandwidth holds up with 4+ 1080p uncompressed video streams? would you happen to know the bitrates he was pulling?

yes. . . .

i have seen some of the wifi cams, but the issues of weather-proofing, actual image quality and night vision still remain.

do you know what model of the cams were used?

i also wonder how the wifi bandwidth holds up with 4+ 1080p uncompressed video streams? would you happen to know the bitrates he was pulling?

you dont need more than 10mbps per camera.. I am more worried about writing speed of NAS drives
How Much Bandwidth Do You Need for Streaming Video? | Sound & Vision

Back
Top Bottom