What's new

Question for techies--Surveillance cam setup

Abhishek_

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Lads, i'm hunting for another home these days. this one would be where I can see my daughter (and future kids) grow up.
during a chit-chat with the wife, the question of security systems came up.

I wanted to get PDF techs' opinion on possible Security/Surveillance systems.

I've looked at and run a pilot setup of Milestone XProtect at the current place. Seems pretty good so far, controls 8 cams and keeps 5days worth of HD footage on the free version. It is also web-enabled and comes with IOS/Android Apps.

Have you guys looked into something like this? Possible options?
I would like to avoid packaged systems I have seen at Costco and other places. Granted they work together seamlessly, but I would want to build something from scratch as my next geeky project.

regards,
Abhishek

Lads, i'm hunting for another home these days. this one would be where I can see my daughter (and future kids) grow up.

I've looked at and run a pilot setup of Milestone XProtect at the current place. Seems pretty good so far, controls 8 cams and keeps 5days worth of HD footage on the free version. It is also web-enabled and comes with IOS/Android Apps.

I would like to avoid packaged systems I have seen at Costco and other places. Granted they work together seamlessly, but I would want to build something from scratch as my next geeky project.

regards,
Abhishek
what are the capabilities do you want, and also the cost for the project. I have seen some people using baby monitor but you seem to want cctv type of thing?

what are the capabilities do you want, and also the cost for the project. I have seen some people using baby monitor but you seem to want cctv type of thing?
yes some sort of cctv system would work. the prepackaged systems i have seen from samsung/sony etc are $1-2K.
something below that would be a nice project to work on.

i think 8+ cams covering the home would be good. i would also want night optics, HD footage etc.

Yara, all specs first..... do you want some thing as geeky as I have...... night vision / IR.... thermal vision...... motion detectors..... pressure grids..... networked backups..... :D

regards,
Abhishek

Yara, all specs first..... do you want some thing as geeky as I have...... night vision / IR.... thermal vision...... motion detectors..... pressure grids..... networked backups..... :D
drool
night optics, IR, motion sensing would be good enough :tup:

Now question # 1... are you gonna configure / install the system yourself? Worked on any sort of modular / embedded Linux -- or are you planning to go for some pre packaged system, that can be installed in a jiffy?

drool
night optics, IR, motion sensing would be good enough :tup:

Now question # 1... are you gonna configure / install the system yourself? Worked on any sort of modular / embedded Linux -- or are you planning to go for some pre packaged system, that can be installed in a jiffy?
ideally yes, i would like to give this a shot as a DIY.
I dont plan on spending too much time tinkering with it. As I mentioned earlier, the current software I tried was pretty easy to setup and it has all the capabilities I'm looking for.

I'd prefer to stay to away from pre-packaged systems if I can.

Ok, lemme check out some easy stuff which wouldn't take much of your time...

Now give me some detailed requirements..... do you need motion detectors as well? Is it going to be all in one system? and if so then what about something that can send SMS as well.... or alternatively do you have reliable network connectivity on your cell etc?

ideally yes, i would like to give this a shot as a DIY.
I dont plan on spending too much time tinkering with it. As I mentioned earlier, the current software I tried was pretty easy to setup and it has all the capabilities I'm looking for.

I'd prefer to stay to away from pre-packaged systems if I can.

come to think of it, i think the software is a good fit for my use.

I can definitely use some suggestions for what hardware to buy. . . .

Ok, lemme check out some easy stuff which wouldn't take much of your time...

Now give me some detailed requirements..... do you need motion detectors as well? Is it going to be all in one system? and if so then what about something that can send SMS as well.... or alternatively do you have reliable network connectivity on your cell etc?
when u say motion detectors, do u mean dedicated units for it? i was inclining more toward software dependent motion sensing where it can simply analyse the feed and record when it detects motion.

no issues with network connectivity on cell. what would an all-in-one system entail?

Nahin yaar, I'm talking about dedicated motion sensors.... compression sensors..... window integrity sensors.... they have a battery life span of years, and are relatively cheap..... I need to know your exact budget, and I'll make one of my techies come up with a solution that best suits you.

come to think of it, i think the software is a good fit for my use.

I can definitely use some suggestions for what hardware to buy. . . .

when u say motion detectors, do u mean dedicated units for it? i was inclining more toward software dependent motion sensing where it can simply analyse the feed and record when it detects motion.

no issues with network connectivity on cell. what would an all-in-one system entail?

Nahin yaar, I'm talking about dedicated motion sensors.... compression sensors..... window integrity sensors.... they have a battery life span of years, and are relatively cheap..... I need to know your exact budget, and I'll make one of my techies come up with a solution that best suits you.
$2000. I wouldn't need dedicated motion/compression sensors. I think HD & Night OP cams with a 30day footage storage would suffice.

@Abhishek_ you said you can get everything within 1000 off the shelf...
I have not build such system but searching around it seems the major cost is the camera

1. cameras
2. storage(NAS)
3. software

which camera do you fancy.. you need to choose it yourself

Last edited by a moderator:
@Abhishek_ you said you can get everything within 1000 off the shelf...
I have not build such system but searching around it seems the major cost is the camera

1. cameras
2. storage(NAS)
3. software

which camera do you fancy.. you need to choose it yourself
yea that's where I need suggestions; I don't know much about security cams. feel free to provide suggestions.
I will also call one of our equipment vendors to see what they suggest.

Last edited by a moderator:
looking at getting a couple of Q-See QCN8002B. I have a friend who can get me wholesale pricing on it.
thoughts on this cam?

looking at getting a couple of Q-See QCN8002B. I have a friend who can get me wholesale pricing on it.
thoughts on this cam?

looks really pricey... more for business use than home use... :cheesy:
how much is it in INR?

Back
Top Bottom