What's new

Qatar is interested in the JF-17B, the two-seat version

The SC

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
JF-17B.jpg

The State of Qatar has shown interest in the JF-17B, a modernized two-seat version, produced by the Pakistani aviation industry complex PAC with Chinese technology.

The Qatari Consul General to Pakistan Mishaal Al-Ansari also referred to the importance of Qatari-Pakistani military cooperation in the field of pilot training and defense industries.

In the event that Qatar contracts for this fighter, the Qatari air force will be formed from a diverse mix of Chinese, Pakistani, American (F-15), French (Rafale and Mirage) fighters and others of a joint European manufacture (Eurofighter Typhoon).

In recent years, Qatar has conducted several huge arms deals, especially in the field of the Air Force, as the country has contracted many combat aircraft from various sources. These deals included the latest and most powerful version of the F-15 fighters from the United States of America, and the Rafale fighters from France, in addition to the Eurofighter Typhoon from Britain.

What distinguishes the Pakistani-Chinese JF-17 fighter mainly is its powerful armament, which consists of a large and varied arsenal of air-to-air and air-to-surface missiles with ranges ranging from short to behind range of vision.

Chief among these is the PL 15 long-range air-to-air missile..

The PL 15 missile :

The PL-15 was successfully launched from a Shenyang J-16 fighter jet in November 2016, according to Chinese state-run media. Chinese experts speculate that the PL-15 is a new class of long-range air-to-air missiles LRAAM due to its large size, and it is the only type in this class so far.

The PL-15 is equipped with an advanced radar finder and missile engine, a combination that makes the missile a serious threat to high-value aerial targets such as refueling aircraft and AEW & C aircraft in the depths of enemy lines.

The missile engine allows the PL-15 to fly in a semi-ballistic trajectory for an extra long range. Chinese media said the PL-15 could reach more than 300 km at speeds of Mach 4 (4,900 km / h). The missile's flight altitude is about 30 km.

Its advanced guidance system consists of a data link and a new active / passive dual-mode AESA seeker with enhanced ECCM capabilities.

Prior to launch, the PL-15 must obtain target information via a data link from an AEW & C aircraft or via a long-range ground-based radar system or satellite. After the initial ascent stage, the missile uses Beidou / GPS + INS + datalink systems for mid-trajectory guidance.

In the final stage along with the AESA researcher, the missile may also use the IIR (Infrared Imaging) system to increase the likelihood of killing despite severe jamming conditions.

The missile's length (5.8 meters) means that it cannot be internally carried by the Chengdu J-20 "stealth" fighters. However, the PL-15 can be externally carried by 3.5 generation jets such as the Shenyang J-11 air superiority fighter and the Shenyang J-16 multi-role fighter.

https://www.defense-arabic.com/2021/03/03/قطر-تبدي-اهتمامها-بمقاتلة-jf-17b-النسخة-ثنا/

Last edited:
I just don't understand what is the psychology behind this procurement of variety of fighters for such a small country. what are they trying to achieve from it. who actually is their enemy.

I just don't understand what is the psychology behind this procurement of variety of fighters for such a small country. what are they trying to achieve from it. who actually is their enemy.
Good Point, I think they just want to show other Arabs and their neighbour Arab States that they have potential and Qatar has more military might than the Saudis or UAE etc.
They just want their neighbours to take them seriously

Good Point, I think they just want to show other Arabs and their neighbour Arab States that they have potential and Qatar has more military might than the Saudis or UAE etc.
They just want their neighbours to take them seriously

i want to make cheeky comment by saying during Indo-Pak war these assets may have some participation, but yes those are for Qatar defense needs although makes one think with so many kinds.

once all delivered it will be a rainbow of fighter planes in the skies of Qatar.

Qatar is surprisingly very strong. After the blockade it turned into a full fledged military state and it had to for survival purposes. There is no way the legendary tribe of banu Tamim is going down without taking everyone down

It would be too naive to think that these purchases were shaped only by military needs. The main factor affecting the regional balances in Gulf is the depth and distribution of political support.

Also disputes between the KSA/Emirates and Qatar could be resolved significantly in near future, at least there is a 'functioning' diplomatic channel, thanks to common ally countries such Kuwait. Therefore, it would be a wrong analysis to consider these investments of Qatar as an aggressive attitude directly towards these countries.

Qatar is probably trying to flex in it’s neighbourhood but also likely interested in gaining allies and political favour from nations that sell these weapons

Like Saudis and UAE, Qatar uses arms purchases to help buy support rather than as part of a coherent strategy. Good news is for Pakistan is they feel the need to do that with us. By purchasing JF-17 they are also getting the basing of Pakistani troops and pilots. A message that will not be lost on the Saudis.

Also have to say Pakistan had a lot of foresight in sticking by Qatar when rest of GCC plus Egypt tried to cut it off, to the point at PMA, PNA and PAFA we kept training Qataris along with Saudis.

This may be the payback for that too

After what happened to Iraq, Libya, Syria, the rest of the islamic countries will be fools if they do not prepare themselves for any similar eventuality.

Like Saudis and UAE, Qatar uses arms purchases to help buy support rather than as part of a coherent strategy. Good news is for Pakistan is they feel the need to do that with us. By purchasing JF-17 they are also getting the basing of Pakistani troops and pilots. A message that will not be lost on the Saudis.

Also have to say Pakistan had a lot of foresight in sticking by Qatar when rest of GCC plus Egypt tried to cut it off, to the point at PMA, PNA and PAFA we kept training Qataris along with Saudis.

This may be the payback for that too

Being close friends with Turkey pays off...

It was turks who landed troops in Doha when Qatar had no friends left

Being close friends with Turkey pays off...

It was turks who landed troops in Doha when Qatar had no friends left
Qatar has the biggest US military base in the ME.. just so you know..

Qatar has the biggest US military base in the ME.. just so you know..

True, but remember despite that, Trump was close to signing off on the Saudis invading Qatar at some point, the US troops would have just remained in base. This is what shook the Qataris. The US will defend their base, but not nessacarilly the country of Qatar against any invader. Turkey and Pakistan may opt to

Back
Top Bottom