What's new

Purchase of Fifteen Chinook Heavy-Lift Helicopters

@SpArK,
Sparkie, give WangWang a special price. He's a regular and persistent customer here at PDF. Do him a favor.
As they say in the Souks: baba Rafiq, only for you; sbecial brice, only for you!
Don't make this one again, focus on topic!

Last edited by a moderator:
very good news

CH 47 is very potent troop carrier

Boeing presentation to IAF comparing Chinook with Mi-26

1-712377.jpg

2-712757.jpg

3-714064.jpg

4-714377.jpg

5-714726.jpg

6-714993.jpg

7-716559.jpg

8-717050.jpg

http://livefist.blogspot.in/2009/01/boeing-presentation-to-iaf-comparing.html

Chinook Chinook Tun
Chinook Chinook Tun
Chinook Chinook Tun
Da Da Da

Dholna, vaje tumbe val taar
soode dil de pukar
Aaja karle ye pyar

^^^

This explains everything.

Really? Don't tell me you still fall to this old Boeing PR buddy. :)

In my opinion we should keep the featherlight squadron running by purchasing 2-4 Mi 26s,considering its unparallel lift capability. I am never against the Chinooks,we should have'em in large numbers,but we should have a few mi 26 too.

We can't keep 2 different types of heavy lift helicopters, since that would be too costly. Either we go for a real heavy lift helicopter with all operational advantages, or we compromise with the Chinook. High numbers are not needed anyway, because we use Mi 17s in most tactical roles.
The biggest problem imo, is the shortsight of IAF once again. There are better heavy lift helicopters under development today which we should have considered, or even joined as a partner. With the Chinook today, we actually took the worst possible choice for this requirement.

We can't keep 2 different types of heavy lift helicopters, since that would be too costly. Either we go for a real heavy lift helicopter with all operational advantages, or we compromise with the Chinook. High numbers are not needed anyway, because we use Mi 17s in most tactical roles.
The biggest problem imo, is the shortsight of IAF once again. There are better heavy lift helicopters under development today which we should have considered, or even joined as a partner. With the Chinook today, we actually took the worst possible choice for this requirement.

Really. because i know only few heavy cargo helis like ch 53, ch 47 and mi 26. can you please tell me what are all the other heavy cargo helis which is in operational or atleast under development.

Really. because i know only few heavy cargo helis like ch 53, ch 47 and mi 26. can you please tell me what are all the other heavy cargo helis which is in operational or atleast under development.

Sikosrky is developing the CH 53K, which is the real heavy lift helicopter of the US in future and if the current CH 53 would still be under production, it would also be the more comparable choice to Mi 26.

http://www.sikorsky.com/Products/Pr...moid=fe586d890c7b8110VgnVCM1000001382000a____

The best choice for the future however could be Eurocopters Future Transport Helicopter, developed with Boeing as a partner. It is based on the Chinook design, but developed as a real HEAVY LIFT helicopter, with much more payload and the design to carry bigger loads and especially vehicles internally too:

uddpz6ak.jpg

superchinookcard1.jpg

superchinookcard2.jpg

Internal payload: 15t
External payload: 18t
MTOW: 33t
Cargohold size for armored 4x4 or 6x6 vehicles
Triple external Cargo Hook

Cargohold size comparison current Chinook and FTH:

Chinook_Iraq_Operation_Swarmer_CH43_060316-N-5438H-011.jpg

1-K%C3%BCrzlich+aktualisiert2.jpg

@sancho

Wow, I didn't even know such a project even existed! Do you think India should
invest in this project too for induction by 2018-2020?

@sancho

Wow, I didn't even know such a project even existed! Do you think India should
invest in this project too for induction by 2018-2020?

Definitely! Because it offers the best mix of operational and industrial advantages. At least comparable heavy lift capabilities as our current Mi 26, while the current Chinook is just a bad compromise. Not to mention that Eurocopter was a search for international partners to join the development too, we could have not only ordered some of them, but get industrial benefits of producing parts of it for exports too. The current Chinook deal on the other side is a pure buyer - seller deal with the only industrial benefit of some minor re-investments.
We could have even bridged the current need by procuring or leasing a smaller number of Mi 26T2s, which wouldn't have required new training or logistics, so a fast and easy stopgap solution. That's why I said, this whole deal is shortsighted and with the outcome, the worst we could have chosen.

Definitely! Because it offers the best mix of operational and industrial advantages. At least comparable heavy lift capabilities as our current Mi 26, while the current Chinook is just a bad compromise. Not to mention that Eurocopter was a search for international partners to join the development too, we could have not only ordered some of them, but get industrial benefits of producing parts of it for exports too. The current Chinook deal on the other side is a pure buyer - seller deal with the only industrial benefit of some minor re-investments.
We could have even bridged the current need by procuring or leasing a smaller number of Mi 26T2s, which wouldn't have required new training or logistics, so a fast and easy stopgap solution. That's why I said, this whole deal is shortsighted and with the outcome, the worst we could have chosen.

But sancho America is not interested in any JV with India, America is not Russia.

But sancho America is not interested in any JV with India, America is not Russia.

Who said we should JV with them? I wanted India either to JV with the Europeans, or if a simple procurement is enough, to take a useful heavy lift helicopter, Mi 26T2, Ch 53K or the EC FTH.

Seems it was a purely political decision.
but chinook is an excellent battle proven heli so not a bad deal in the end, plus the procurement number is not high, as for the eurocopter and skirosky options they are still under development and the IAF required heavy helis urgently.

We can always float tenders for future requirements later in which the eurocopter or CH53 can be procured if needed.

and, do we really require TOT or local manufacturing for just 15 nummbers?

Back
Top Bottom