Power woes continue in Delhi

Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Power woes continue in Delhi
27 Aug 2008, 1610 hrs IST

NEW DELHI : Power woes of the national capital continued for another day today with several areas going without electricity due to under frequency in Northern Grid as denizens sweated out high humidity levels.

The power situation in the city has deteriorated since Monday due to under frequency in the Grid and several areas faced power shortages for some duration during these days.

Several areas in south Delhi went without power for over two hours from 11:15 pm yesterday to 1:30 am today while last evening witnessed power cuts for short durations in some parts of the capital.

"Under frequency of the Grid is creating problems in the supply of power. The optimal frequency of the Grid is 50 Hz and whenever it goes below 48.5 Hz, then shedding is done so that the Grid does not collapse," a senior official said.

A similar power scenario exists in other states which draw electricity from the Northern Grid, the official said, adding other states were also drawing more power as the demand is more.

"The overdrawing of power from the Grid by other states are creating trouble for the city," the official said.

The power shortage has created problems for the denizens as the humidity level has reached 91 per cent in the city in the past few days.

There was a shortfall in power production of around 500 MW during peak evening hours yesterday because of plant shutdowns and tripping at the Badarpur power plant.

Power woes continue in Delhi-Delhi-Cities-The Times of India

:chilli: thanks Delhi otherwise i was gone mad at prolooooooooooooooooonged power outage in my province.

Rather was frustrated enough to call names to the WAPDA walas.

Wow....what an attitude.

Honestly i was dead sure there is no power outage in India.

:)

And i was mad at the power outage in my city realy for the last two days we had been having only 6 hours electricity while the rest hours are of load-shedding here :frown:

I don't think there has been a time when India hasn't had massive power shortage problems. The bulk of the problem however has been in satellite cities like Pune since most of the power is always diverted to the primary city in the vicinity; in this case Bombay. But during summer months when the electricity use is the highest even the primary cities face acute power shortages.

The two main reasons for India's perpetual power crisis are:
  1. Lack of adequate power generation on account of limited fuel resources and outdated generation technology (particularly nuclear power)
  2. Lamentable administrative oversight and policies: Years of over subsidization and lack of regulation has resulted in a very poor social outlook and habits within the population, particularly in the urban areas of India's premier cities where electricity theft is virtually considered a birthright.

India needs Nuclear deal badly which is enough indication for power shortages in India.

:)

And i was mad at the power outage in my city realy for the last two days we had been having only 6 hours electricity while the rest hours are of load-shedding here :frown:

Jana in India Power outage is very common, I hope you must have seen while your trip to India.

But I am bit confused - Will it make you bit satisfied for your area power outage if same thing happening in India?

But I am bit confused - Will it make you bit satisfied for your area power outage if same thing happening in India?

Yes, i think so.

Jana in India Power outage is very common, I hope you must have seen while your trip to India.

:) no i did not see any outage when was there.

The point of satisfaction was that i was sure that there is no power outage in India as was told by my friend that here.

The more satisfying was that frustratded with prolonged power outage iwas just mad :)

BTW i love to see people remain confused ;)

I am in Delhi, and I have not witnessed a power cut this month of any significance...
Though good to see 2 hour occasional power cuts making news.. a decade back I heard 10-12 hours were so common that they were not even printed :D

I am in Delhi, and I have not witnessed a power cut this month of any significance...
Though good to see 2 hour occasional power cuts making news.. a decade back I heard 10-12 hours were so common that they were not even printed :D
True, and Mumbai mostly has uninterrupted power supply.

But in places like Gurgaon-power cuts occur riddiculously frequently-for hours at a stretch.

Yes, i think so.

Sadistic mentality. Double goes for Jana.

I dont give a damn whether you get 24x7 power supply in Pakistan. See'ing power cuts there wont make me demand or expect less from authorities over here.

Power cuts are really bad , more so in places like Gurgaon, NOIDA ,Geater NOIDA & Faridabad.

The prob is any or all of the following :

1. Pilferage both by the slums & by diversion of power to industrial areas with connivance of corrupt employees of power Co's during peak load hrs.
2. Transmission losses due to poorly maintained distr arrangements.
3. Indifferent response to complaints.
4. Too many VIP areas ( Govt colonies) who get un interupted supply at the cost of paying consumers.
5. Poor realisation of bills from consumers..ministers & MP's mostly never pay nor do slum dwellers ( vote banks ).

PS. Neo, thanx for the new look you've given me.

True, and Mumbai mostly has uninterrupted power supply.

But in places like Gurgaon-power cuts occur riddiculously frequently-for hours at a stretch.

Gurgaon is part of Haryana. Needless to say, the administration did not anticipate or plan the explosive growth of that city.

Back
Top Bottom