What's new

Power generation through coal gasification by next year: Dr. Samar

ajpirzada

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD, May 31 (APP): The country would start generating electricity through coal gasification by next year, renowned nuclear scientist Dr. Samar Mubarakmand said. “A project has almost been finalized to produce electricity by utilizing Thar coal reserves, which are one of the five largest coal reserves in the world,” he told APP in an interview.

Dr. Samar, who is presently associated with Planning Commission of Pakistan as Member Science and Technology, said the project has been approved by the concerned quarters after which a technical team comprising experts of Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission and National Engineering and Scientific Commission is all set to achieve the national goal of making the country self-sufficient in energy sector.
The nuclear scientist said during next eight to ten months the process of making gas from coal would be started, while the electricity generation through coal gasification would hopefully start by beginning of the next year.
Under the project, he said, the coal would not be mined rather plants would be installed on deposits to produce gas in a most sophisticated manner.
The Thar coal reservoirs have potential to generate 5,000 MW electricity for at least 800 years to meet growing energy demand of the country, Dr. Samar added.
He said inexpensive production of electricity would bring an industrial revolution in the country, putting it on consistent path to progress and prosperity.
According to a report, a single reserve in Thar has about 850 trillion cubic feet coal (TCF), which is far better than the total oil reserves of Saudi Arabia and Iran if put together.
“The coal deposits in Thar can change fate of the country if utilized in a proper way. It can save oil import bill, reduce unemployment ratio and help strengthen economy and rupee,” according to Pakistan Economy Watch.

Associated Press Of Pakistan ( Pakistan's Premier NEWS Agency ) - Power generation through coal gasification by next year: Dr. Samar

extremely happy to hear that - as i was hoping Coal Gasification by year 2015 :P

Thanks for the news

undergroud gassification requires complex n huge apparatus n procedure..can all this b done in 8 months??any news which companies are involved?any tenders issued?
i m bit sceptic but lets hope it rurns out as said! :pakistan:

undergroud gassification requires complex n huge apparatus n procedure..can all this b done in 8 months??any news which companies are involved?any tenders issued?
i m bit sceptic but lets hope it rurns out as said! :pakistan:

The work was already underway. But the timeline was somewhere around 2014/2015. May be the government or Mr SamarMubarakmand taking special interest in this project and trying to accelerate the pace of this project :smitten:

Coal-Gasification by year 2011 or say in the beginning of 2012 is still a great achievement considering the short time period

5000MW for 800 years..OMG

cant make it something like this
50thousand MW for 80 years

5000MW for 800 years..OMG

cant make it something like this
50thousand MW for 80 years

yes it is possible but the resources required. I believe GoP is planning to generate 30,000MW of electricity through Coal and Coal-gasification power plants by year 2030

great news. Specially for the students who are trying their best in the night to study with out electricity.

Go Pakistan Go.

@Zaki,
According to the following link, news is that Pakistan would start producing electricity next year from coal reserves of 100MW, while by 2015 , 1000 MW powerplant would be installed.

@Farhan,

Pakistan can produce 50,000MW for 800 Years.

h x x p : / / w w w . i c c i . c o m . p k / h i g h l i g h t s /d e t a i l Hi g h l / 1 0 4

(replace hxxp by http, and spaces)

Thar Coal Could Produce 50,000 MW Electricity for 800 Years - Dr. Samar Mubarakmand

Those who can't, I am posting the news extracts ...

Thar Coal Could Produce 50,000 MW Electricity for 800 Years - Dr. Samar Mubarakmand

Pakistan has the potential to generate 50,000 MW electricity from Thar coal field for 800 years while work is on to produce 100 MW power from this field within next 15-18 months.

This was said by Dr. Samar Mubarakmand, Member, Science & Technology, Planning Commission while addressing business community at Islamabad Chamber of Commerce & Industry. He said conditions are very favorable to produce electricity from Thar through coal gasification process.

He said as a pilot project, 100 MW electricity will be produced from Thar while in the next phase 500 to 1000 MW power plants will be installed to generate power through coal gasification. He was optimistic that after about 3 years Pakistan will be able to install first 1000 MW power plant in Thar.

Dr. Samar said power generated from coal gasification will be the cheapest which will be sold to Sindh government at the rate of Rs.3.90 per unit. He said our focus is to produce turbine and generators in the country as 75 percent cost of a power plant is incurred on import of these equipments.

Regarding The Thar Coal Gasification Project I Must Give You A Background Which I Know From Highly Reliable Sources.The Report Regarding Thar Coal Gasification and It's Potential was first Prepared by Mr. Shuja-Ud- Din,a respected and competent government officer belonging to POF Wah.This research project was prepared and presented by him in Lahore during the Senior Management Course Held in 2008-09.All reports Presented During The Course Are Given to the National Institute of Public Policy. The Report on Coal Gasification Presented Mr. Shuja-Ud- Din got into the hands of Dr. Samar Mubarak
who is Member Science and Technology Planning Commission.Mr. Shuja-Ud-Din was invited to Islamabad by Dr. Samar Mubarak to give a briefing regarding the Project.This is How The Project saw the Light of Day.
While praising Dr. Samar for his hard work let us also commend this well respected but little known Officer of POF Wah for his Painstaking Research and Thus Coming up with the Original Idea of Coal Gasification

I suppose the first generation plant would be a pilot project and may be a real useful output may come in near future. The most important thing is the commitment is given by Dr Samar not by Mr Pervez Ashraf, therefore cheer up. :yahoo::yahoo:

this is my first post here, I am glad that something is being done in our country to use Coal.

I have been doing some research on use of coal in a way as not to disturb the Environmental Balance. I have devised several small projects to prove my point and Alhamdolilah I have proved to some extent that use of Coal in Industry can reduce our dependency on Oil and it can go a long way in making the industry stand in competition with the World leaders.

the following projects were made and tested:

1. Coal Fired Hot Air Dryer which can be used even on a small scale and replace existing dryers upto a Capacity of 50KW. this I have based on the previous energy consumption of the dryer before Coal based Dryer was Installed.

2. I have experimented with various chemicals when applied on Coal containing more than 6% Sulphur results in Zero SO2 Emission. increase in Burning Heat was also noticed but I dont have any figures or exact findings only an approximation made by me as the result of the Water boiled and the time taken for it to be evaporated was 40% lesser than the untreated Coal.

Future Plans:
what I intend to do further is to make a 2MW Coal fired Turbine Generator which I am sure will produce Electricity at a much lesser expense than the current WAPDA rate. I am not an expert at accounting but I see at least a 250% decrease in Per KWH Tariff

anybody interested in commenting / joining on my efforts are welcome.

Fahim Baig

what about the initial cost of this projcet and running cost of it
if it starts under PAEC then i hope it will be helpfull for pakistan

According to the Dr. Samar Mubarikmand's latest TV interview on Capital Talk, gas will start flowing from the Thar fields within the next 90 days!! This is just awesome news. I wanted to update this thread as there were a few incredulous posts above regarding how it was even possible to achieve this monumental feat in less than a year.

This is one of those instances which just cries out for Bob the Builder's favourite naara:

YES WE CAN!!!

Here's the interview I was referencing:

Capital Talk – 30th November 2010

According to the Dr. Samar Mubarikmand's latest TV interview on Capital Talk, gas will start flowing from the Thar fields within the next 90 days!! This is just awesome news. I wanted to update this thread as there were a few incredulous posts above regarding how it was even possible to achieve this monumental feat in less than a year.

This is one of those instances which just cries out for Bob the Builder's favourite naara:

YES WE CAN!!!

Here's the interview I was referencing:

Capital Talk – 30th November 2010

yes and he also said we will be able to convert coal in to diesel for only 20 dollars per barrel that we usually import for like 250 dollars per barrel.

Electricity will cost us only 3-4 rupees per unit instead of expensive 15 rupees for RPPs

its a must watch interview and posted already 3 times since yesterday hehe

@ 90 days gas

oh actually its gonnai be 100MW pilot project in thar so that converted gas will be used for generating electricity. Its gonnai start in March next year so 4 months left actually

If proven to be real, this would be an important advance indeed.

Back
Top Bottom