What's new

Poverty Leads to Wife sharing among Indians to cut costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkStar

Reaction score
HIMACHAL PRADESH, India (CNN) -- Amar and Kundan Singh Pundir are brothers. Younger brother Amar breaks rocks in a mine for a living. Kundan farms their small piece of inherited land. They live in a beautiful but remote hillside village in the clouds of Himachal Pradesh, India.

Kundar Singh Pundir, left, and his brother Amar, right, share Indira Devi, centre, as their wife. Both aged in their forties, the two brothers have lived together nearly their whole lives. They are poor and share just about everything: Their home, their work and a wife.

"See we have a tradition from the beginning to have a family of five to 10 people. Two brothers and one wife." Kundan says.

They practice what is known as fraternal polyandry -- where the brothers of one family marry the same woman. Why? Tradition and economics.

Life is hard here. The village is precariously perched on the side of a very steep hill about 6,000ft up. Most of the villagers survive off tiny plots of cropland. In this difficult terrain there isn't enough land to go around. So, instead of finding separate wives and splitting up their inherited property, the brothers marry the same woman and keep their land together.

Wife Indira Devi says life with two husbands isn't easy. "We fight a lot." But like any married couple they fight mostly over mundane stuff, except there are three spouses instead of two.

"Usually it's about chores, why didn't you do this? Why didn't you do that?" she says.

One thing they agreed on was the need to have children; They have three. So how does a married trio deal with sex?

"We make shifts, change shifts and sleep on alternate days. We have to make shifts otherwise it won't work," Kundan says. "To run our families we have to do this, overcome the hurdles as well and then we have to control our hearts from feeling too much," Amar adds.

To outsiders their arrangement may seem odd, but in the village of about 200 it is the norm. Typically the marriages are arranged and women have two husbands. But some wives have three or four depending on how many brothers there are in a family.

Polyandry is illegal in India but socially acceptable here. No one from the government seems to bother the villagers about the law.

"It's been going on for ages. My sister in law has two husbands, my mother in law also has two husbands," Indira says.

And as to the question of which husband is the biological father of the children -- the Pundir's don't know and don't care. "For me everyone is the same, my mother and my fathers are the same. My mother and my fathers are like God to me," 17-year old daughter Sunita Singh Pundir says.

Even as modern society arrives in this ancient village through satellite dishes and mobile phones, the Pundirs say they want their age-old tradition to continue with their children. "Absolutely," eldest son Sohna says.

He and his younger brother have already discussed it and will marry the same woman. Daughter Sunita isn't so sure. "I would like one husband," she says.

But when asked if she will marry for love or tradition, Sunita's answer makes it clear the tradition of marrying more than one man will continue with the next generation.

"I will never leave our tradition even if I have to forgo love. I will never spoil my parents' reputation and my brothers.'"

I guess above might be the reason why most Indians aren't too bothered about female featal abortion and being short of 150 million females in India.

Unless issue of grave poverty is solved, one should expect more shocking news than this one.

why do you make everythign religious, vinodh? are you here to promote your sectarianism? No one said anything about Hinduism, or its religion. But you are always on the look out to post some slander or other about Islam. If you would like to debate interrligious affairs, I would suggest another forum.

Since India is a secular state, why do you chose to defend any criticism by attacking islam?

Some people seem to be always on the lookout for such "important" news.

Check the "Global Gender Gap" report and see where your country and the Islamic world stand with respect to treatment of women.

The News International - No. 1 English Newspaper from Pakistan - Saturday, December 30, 1899

Yes, India has a challenge on its hand to resolve this inhuman and completely illegal practice and we all condemn it.

Can you condemn calling women "deficient in intellect and religion"?

Cut the crap.

This is typical thick head mentality of blaming religion instead of real issues.

Bad treatment of women is related to "poverty" and "lack of education" not only in India and Pakistan, but all around the world. Why are you quick to drag religion into everything ?

Change strategy to counter arguments, if at all you wish to.

No, its just that we both have issues at our hands.

You seem to be attacking the very idea of India all the time and searching for such nuggets just to defame India.

I just said that India is not the only country with social problems. There are many threads where the same issues have been discussed earlier.

I never say anything negative about your country or society or religion on my own. Never once.

You guys do that all the time.

I just reply to the posts and sometimes the replies tend to be as negative as the original posts whose only purpose seems to be to slander without really trying to discuss any issues.

y dont u complain to cnn for defaming ur country?

You seem to be attacking the very idea of India all the time and searching for such nuggets just to defame India.

Try to read what is "actually" posted not what you think "seems" to be posted. Did the original post mentioned "Hindu religion"? An effort to defame religion was uncalled for.

I never say anything negative about your country or society or religion on my own. Never once.

What do you mean on your "own" ? You mentioned religion where it was not suppose to be mentioned.

You guys do that all the time.

Try to report the post that seem offensive to your religion to mods. They will take appropriate action. You will not get anything by defaming any religion.

Try to keep up the secular spirit even if that may seem difficult to you.

I just reply to the posts and sometimes the replies tend to be as negative as the original posts whose only purpose seems to be to slander without really trying to discuss any issues.

Again "seems to be"... You never complained about CNN that actually made that report and you are all up against a member and his religion who posted it ? Why ? Is that hatred coming out or what ?

If at all you wish to discuss, have some courage to discuss "negativity" of your social system with out defaming anyone's religion.

go and check the indian census figures, and how many women are missing. India is one of the few places on earth where men outnumber women, and the difference is staggering.

One would suppose having two 'husbands' is probably better than getting shot and buried 6ft under for 'choosing' one......... :)

Poor countries almost always have a bad record but some rich countries (like Saudi) have one of the worst record in the world which has nothing to do with poverty.

Culture? May be!

Religion? Sure is a big factor. But then it may be more of their interpretation.

Not culture or religion.

It is "lack of proper education" (religious and other) that leads to bad treatment of women all across the globe. Leave Saudi Arabia, US has the worst track record of violence against women. Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.

Do they have this culture or their religion tells them to do that ?

Last edited:
I cut it as you advise. ;)

Not always true but agree to some extent.

Poor countries almost always have a bad record but some rich countries (like Saudi) have one of the worst record in the world which has nothing to do with poverty.

Culture? May be!

Religion? Sure is a big factor. But then it may be more of their interpretation.

It is a matter of perspective. We feel that women are degraded and commoditised in the west. That doesn't show up on any "research" and "global index". They feel muslim women are oppressed due to arranged marriage and not being as promiscuous as there counterparts in other places.

We know what they consider women's rights, and we know what that has doen to the family values and moral values of western countries.

If this is what freedom is, then maybe we don't want this kind of freedom at all. Freedom to fornicate, break tabboos, indecent displays, drunkenness. No thanks.

Umer, I have no issue with the report (which is just a fact).

Its the second follow up post which was not only a falsehood but deeply offensive and exaggerated.

Simple. Try to correct the information posted if you think that is wrong mate.

If this is what freedom is, then maybe we don't want this kind of freedom at all. Freedom to fornicate, break tabboos, indecent displays, drunkenness. No thanks.

LOL....that made my day !!

"Freedom to fornicate" :rofl:

Vinod bahi you know u love the drama !! lol haha when its something against PAK all our indian friends jump in for the joy ride but now since we have this topic u dont like it ! comon Vinod bahi no offence be a team player!!!!! lol enjoy

I guess above might be the reason why most Indians aren't too bothered about female featal abortion and being short of 150 million females in India.

read the article before posting man, it says they're doing it for economical reasons, this has nothing to do with female infanticide or abortion. Even the title says so, pay attention man and don't get side tracked by your emotions.

do you honestly think India is short of 150 million females? and why isn't this the biggest story on earth?

also:(so I can understand your thought process)

in your opinion, should a women be required to wear a Hijab? and have the freedom to choose who to marry, no matter the other guy's faith. what if the female is 'gay' (lesbian), is that acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom