What's new

Possible sale of ALH Dhruv to Afghanistan

Ashoka The Great

Reaction score
Country
India
AIR_ALH_Dhruv_Shakti_Engines_Armed_lg.jpg

As soon as the Taliban bullet struck 24-year-old Afghan Sgt. Nazir Moradi’s leg, the men in his unit began brainstorming a way to get him off the battlefield.The roads were too dangerous for an army ambulance. The Afghan soldiers, in several calls to their commanders, repeated one plea: They needed a helicopter.

Lack of helicopters and United States moving their assets out of the country is hampering military operations in Afghanistan, Afghan forces operate hand full of Russian built Mi series helicopters but helicopters are always in shortage.

According to sources close to idrw.org, there is possibility of India offering Dhruv helicopters to Afghanistan; HAL is already working on order for Cheetal helicopter against an order of three Cheetals for Afghanistan Government.

Sources also mentioned that Afghan officials in past have inquired about Helicopters which India can provide, Dhruv ALH is already serving in Indian army it is operated in difficult terrain in Himalayas and will be able to handle extreme afghan terrain , Afghans are asking for Indian help in training their crew to maintain Russian built Mi series helicopters .There is no exact number of Helicopters which Afghanistan wants from India or will India finally move away from Red tape and offer ALH Dhruv or even armed variant ALH Rudra

Possible sale of ALH Dhruv to Afghanistan | idrw.org

AIR_ALH_Dhruv_Shakti_Engines_Armed_lg.jpg

As soon as the Taliban bullet struck 24-year-old Afghan Sgt. Nazir Moradi’s leg, the men in his unit began brainstorming a way to get him off the battlefield.The roads were too dangerous for an army ambulance. The Afghan soldiers, in several calls to their commanders, repeated one plea: They needed a helicopter.

Lack of helicopters and United States moving their assets out of the country is hampering military operations in Afghanistan, Afghan forces operate hand full of Russian built Mi series helicopters but helicopters are always in shortage.

According to sources close to idrw.org, there is possibility of India offering Dhruv helicopters to Afghanistan; HAL is already working on order for Cheetal helicopter against an order of three Cheetals for Afghanistan Government.

Sources also mentioned that Afghan officials in past have inquired about Helicopters which India can provide, Dhruv ALH is already serving in Indian army it is operated in difficult terrain in Himalayas and will be able to handle extreme afghan terrain , Afghans are asking for Indian help in training their crew to maintain Russian built Mi series helicopters .There is no exact number of Helicopters which Afghanistan wants from India or will India finally move away from Red tape and offer ALH Dhruv or even armed variant ALH Rudra

Possible sale of ALH Dhruv to Afghanistan | idrw.org

I never heard about this order...can anybody provide more inputs on this???Cheetal is a capable helo,but a bit old(even though various armies still using it,including Indian Army)..it can be converted to gunship as well..

by the way,I already said in other threads that Afghanistan might be interested in Dhruv as well as Rudra..they need capable helicopter..they has few MIs..but such a large helo can't be used for every situation,nor it will be economical.they might find Dhruv as well as Rudra handy.also,we might provide them few second hand tanks as well..

I never heard about this order...can anybody provide more inputs on this???Cheetal is a capable helo,but a bit old(even though various armies still using it,including Indian Army)..it can be converted to gunship as well..

by the way,I already said in other threads that Afghanistan might be interested in Dhruv as well as Rudra..they need capable helicopter..they has few MIs..but such a large helo can't be used for every situation,nor it will be economical.they might find Dhruv as well as Rudra handy.also,we might provide them few second hand tanks as well..

The Cheetal's not a bad machine for what it is- improved avionics, semi-glass cockpit, re-engined with more thrust etc

+ For sure the ALH MK.3 would fill the Afghan's needs in whatever role they need it to will. Possibly even the ALH WSI/Rudra could be sold to pound the terrorist scum.

This would certainly meet Inida's own national interests but let's wait and see if the GoI is willing to do this.

If its a sale ... its obviously great !!!!

But hope it doesn't end up as military aid .....

Will Afghanistan have the money to buy Dhruvs .. like other customers: Ecuador, Israel, Turkey etc. etc.

Btw.. did Myanmar pay for the Dhurvs... or they were just a gift (military aid !!).

I hope civilian Dhruv find customes in US / European markets too... they are the ones who can pay for a lot of Dhruvs.

Even Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Vietnam etc. can pay for th Dhruvs .. .not just aid. We should definitely explore those markets.

Will Afghanistan have the money to buy Dhruvs .. like other customers: Ecuador, Israel, Turkey etc. etc.

Btw.. did Myanmar pay for the Dhurvs... or they were just a gift (military aid !!).

I hope civilian Dhruv find customes in US / European markets too... they are the ones who can pay for a lot of Dhruvs.

Even Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Vietnam etc. can pay for th Dhruvs .. .not just aid. We should definitely explore those markets.

The smartest way is, since Afghanistan is mineral rich, we can give Dhruv as a pay for our imports.

Afghanistan has a military budget of $4B, (provided by the US) I'm sure they can afford a few Dhruvs.

Afghanistan has a military budget of $4B, (provided by the US) I'm sure they can afford a few Dhruvs.

10 billion $ including police.

Did Rudra got IOC ??

Did Rudra got IOC ??

ALH WSI will get IOC in the next 16 months AFAIK. For the immediate future the ALH MK.3 is a great candidate for export to the ANAF IMHO.

Down the road, depending on how things go, the ALH WSI can be considered or maybe even the LCH.

ALH WSI will get IOC in the next 16 months AFAIK. For the immediate future the ALH MK.3 is a great candidate for export to the ANAF IMHO.

Down the road, depending on how things go, the ALH WSI can be considered or maybe even the LCH.

Rudra already got IOC in Feb . please google since i am new member i cannot post link here ,It will be interesting to see How MOD and GOI responds to such request if it comes through official channels .

Rudra already got IOC in Feb . please google since i am new member i cannot post link here ,It will be interesting to see How MOD and GOI responds to such request if it comes through official channels .

I meant FOC, sorry.

+ yeah, how the GOI responds will signal how it intends to act on the Afghan front ie in a proactive/aggressive role or a passive one.

Yup ANA is in need of choppers. Read a WaPo report about them suffering unnecessary casualties due to unavailability of medevacs.

bit difficult, as there are already competitors, but we may get some more customers for civilian model in Latin America

overall both armed and civilian version of Dhruv have good export potential

we should try to promote theirs sales and if armed version gets tag of "proven" in battlefield, it will be even better

Back
Top Bottom