What's new

Pope Benedict to Resign

IndoCarib

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
VATICAN CITY— Pope Benedict XVI said on Monday that he planned to step down at the end of this month because of his deteriorating physical strength, a move that hasn't happened in the Roman Catholic Church in centuries and that is likely to pave the way for a new pontiff by Easter.

In a speech in Latin to cardinals, the 85-year-old German pontiff, who has been in office since April 2005, said that leading the world's 1.2 billion Catholics was a job that required strength of both mind and body. But the pope said that his strength had "deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me."

A papal spokesman added during a briefing with reporters that Pope Benedict had been thinking about the move for some time, saying it wasn't due to an illness. Father Lombardi, the spokesman, said the pope would retire to a life of prayer and writing. He also said the pontiff had "no fear" of any potential schism in the church as a consequence of the pope's resignation.

The surprise resignation, which the Vatican said would take place as of 8 p.m. on Feb. 28, will give way to a conclave, a gathering of cardinals who will elect the new pope. Normally, after a pope dies, there is a nine-day mourning period before the selection his successor. This time, the process can begin right away, said Greg Burke, the Vatican's media adviser. "This means we'll have a new pope by Easter," he added. The holiday falls on March 31 this year.

Pope Benedict, a leading theologian, garnered praise for his extensive writings, which covered subjects ranging from the world economy to the nature of love. However, his eight-year papacy has also been controversial. Since the former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger took over after the death of Pope John Paul II, the Vatican has been buffeted by a wave of allegations that priests around the world sexually abused children. The pope condemned the abuse and issued a raft of measures aimed at preventing any future abuses and making it easier to discipline and defrock priests. In 2006, the pope sparked anger across the Muslim world for a controversial speech in which he cited a 15th-century Byzantine emperor's description of the Prophet Muhammad's teachings as "evil and inhuman." And over the past year, his administration has been swept up in a leaked-documents controversy that exposed infighting among cardinals.

In his declaration to cardinals, the pope said he was "well aware of the seriousness of this act," and added that he was renouncing his ministry "in full freedom."

"After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine Ministry," he added.

A handful of popes have resigned over the centuries. Celestine V, a hermit elected at age of 80, stepped down at the end of the 13th century because he felt exhausted by the office. His successor threw him in prison, and the poet Dante consigned him to hell in the Divine Comedy.

"Most modern popes have felt that resignation is unacceptable," said Rev. Thomas J. Reese, a senior fellow at Georgetown University's Woodstock Theological Center. Paul VI, pope during the 1970s, considered the possibility of a resignation, but ultimately ruled out the move.

"Paul feared setting a precedent that would encourage factions in the church to pressure future popes to resign for reasons other than health," Father Reese said.

That view was widely held to be the final word on papal resignations until Pope Benedict contradicted it in a book-length interview with a German journalist, Light of the World.

"If a Pope clearly realizes that he is no longer physically, psychologically, and spiritually capable of handling the duties of his office, then he has a right and, under some circumstances, also an obligation to resign," the pope said.

At the time of the interview in 2010, the pope said the tumult within the church was too strong for him to resign.

"When the danger is great one must not run away. For that reason, now is certainly not the time to resign. Precisely at a time like this one must stand fast and endure the situation. That is my view. One can resign at a peaceful moment or when one simply cannot go on. But one must not run away from danger and say someone else should do it," he said.

Pope Benedict XVI to Resign - WSJ.com

The fact that he resigned when he felt that he was not able to carry out the work god entrusted to him speaks volumes of his integrity . i hope the next Pope is from Asia.

Who will succeed Pope Benedict? Cardinal Tagle is among Top 10 most mentioned 'papables' - Reuters
By: Reuters

With Pope Benedict's stunning announcement that he will resign later this month, the time may be coming for the Roman Catholic Church to elect its first non-European leader. Maybe from Latin America? Maybe from Asia?

While there are no official candidates, here are the "papabili" (potential popes) most frequently mentioned recently. The list is alphabetical, not in order of their chances, and will probably change between now and when the conclave is held, most likely in March.

- Joao Braz de Aviz (Brazil, 65) brought fresh air to the Vatican department for religious congregations when he took over in 2011. He supports the preference for the poor in Latin America's liberation theology, but not the excesses of its advocates. Possible drawbacks include his low profile.

- Timothy Dolan, (USA, 62) became the voice of U.S. Catholicism after being named archbishop of New York in 2009. His humour and dynamism have impressed the Vatican, where both are often missing. But cardinals are wary of a "superpower pope" and his back-slapping style may be too American for some.

- Marc Ouellet (Canada, 68) is effectively the Vatican's top staff director as head of the Congregation for Bishops. He once said becoming pope "would be a nightmare." Though well connected within the Curia, the widespread secularism of his native Quebec could work against him.

- Gianfranco Ravasi (Italy, 70) has been Vatican culture minister since 2007 and represents the Church to the worlds of art, science, culture and even to atheists. This profile could hurt him if cardinals decide they need an experienced pastor rather than another professor as pope.

- Leonardo Sandri (Argentina, 69) is a "transatlantic" figure born in Buenos Aires to Italian parents. He held the third-highest Vatican post as its chief of staff in 2000-2007. But he has no pastoral experience and his job overseeing eastern churches is not a power position in Rome.

- Odilo Pedro Scherer (Brazil, 63) ranks as Latin America's strongest candidate. Archbishop of Sao Paulo, largest diocese in the largest Catholic country, he is conservative in his country but would rank as a moderate elsewhere. The rapid growth of Protestant churches in Brazil could count against him.

- Christoph Schoenborn (Austria, 67) is a former student of Pope Benedict with a pastoral touch the pontiff lacks. The Vienna archbishop has ranked as papal material since editing the Church catechism in the 1990s. But some cautious reform stands and strong dissent by some Austrian priests could hurt him.

- Angelo Scola (Italy, 71) is archbishop of Milan, a springboard to the papacy, and is many Italians' bet to win. An expert on bioethics, he also knows Islam as head of a foundation to promote Muslim-Christian understanding. His dense oratory could put off cardinals seeking a charismatic communicator.

- Luis Tagle (Philippines, 55) has a charisma often compared to that of the late Pope John Paul. He is also close to Pope Benedict after working with him at the International Theological Commission. While he has many fans, he only became a cardinal in 2012 and conclaves are wary of young candidates.

- Peter Turkson (Ghana, 64) is the top African candidate. Head of the Vatican justice and peace bureau, he is spokesman for the Church's social conscience and backs world financial reform. He showed a video criticising Muslims at a recent Vatican synod, raising doubts about how he sees Islam.

Who will succeed Pope Benedict? Cardinal Tagle is among Top 10 most mentioned 'papables' - Reuters - InterAksyon.com

As a catholic, the new Pope will be my 5 in my lifetime .

good for them. this pope looks really evil.

btw, just curious, do you need to be a virgin to be the pope?

The pope is a traitor, he resigned by force, the west forced him to resign because of his stance on Syria and his support for the Syrian people and support for peace.... The pope before him was older than him and he barley could walk, Pope Benedict is in way better health and his quitting because of health reasons??

btw, just curious, do you need to be a virgin to be the pope?
Pope is supposed to be virgin and married to the Church and religion which cites he must remain celibate meaning pure.
The pope is a traitor, he resigned by force, the west forced him to resign because of his stance on Syria and his support for the Syrian people and support for peace.... The pope before him was older than him and he barley could walk, Pope Benedict is in way better health and his quitting because of health reasons??
The Pope resigns due to his old age. That's plain and simple. It's better to be honest in declaring that you cannot do it anymore rather than to continue when in fact you cannot. It takes humility, nobleness and strength to admit one's limitations and do what's good for all. Acceptance of your weakness is being strong and brave, stepping down from your position for your incapacity to lead is being humble and a true role model. This can imply to all leaders. After all we are all humans. Other secular media would like to make stories like other "reasons" making the Pope to resign in order to make publicity. Come to think of it, the Pope decided to leave while he can and put everything in order, instead of leaving the Vatican in a mess to choose another leader. I respect the Pope for his decision and salute him for what he has done.

Pope is supposed to be virgin and married to the Church and religion which cites he must remain celibate meaning pure.

The Pope resigns due to his old age. That's plain and simple. It's better to be honest in declaring that you cannot do it anymore rather than to continue when in fact you cannot. It takes humility, nobleness and strength to admit one's limitations and do what's good for all. Acceptance of your weakness is being strong and brave, stepping down from your position for your incapacity to lead is being humble and a true role model. This can imply to all leaders. After all we are all humans. Other secular media would like to make stories like other "reasons" making the Pope to resign in order to make publicity. Come to think of it, the Pope decided to leave while he can and put everything in order, instead of leaving the Vatican in a mess to choose another leader. I respect the Pope for his decision and salute him for what he has done.
the previous pope couldn't even walk.. and can barley talk.. however he didn't resign ( because no one forced him)... now Pope Benedict looks like in great shape, and he didn't even say what is wrong with him.. he said health issues... well people like me see no health issues.. he should of at least told the people what is wrong, right??

the previous pope couldn't even walk.. and can barley talk.. however he didn't resign ( because no one forced him)... now Pope Benedict looks like in great shape, and he didn't even say what is wrong with him.. he said health issues... well people like me see no health issues.. he should of at least told the people what is wrong, right??
The Pope could have stayed on to his death if he wanted to, but he opted to step down and accept his human frailty gracefully. At 85 he is visibly weak and will be 86 this coming April 16. The pope cannot walk alone without his aides beside him, holding his arms to prevent him from falling. His decision is very respectable. You vacate the office when you can no longer effectively carry out your responsibilities.

Here is the Full text of Pope's declaration

Dear Brothers,

I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the barque of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.

Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.
From the Vatican, 10 February 2013

BENEDICTUS PP XVI

Vatican Radio - Pope Benedict XVI announces his resignation at end of month

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pope could have stayed on to his death if he wanted to, but he opted to step down and accept his human frailty gracefully. At 85 he is visibly weak and will be 86 this coming April 16. The pope cannot walk alone without his aides beside him, holding his arms to prevent him from falling. His decision is very respectable. You vacate the office when you can no longer effectively carry out your responsibilities.

Here is the Full text of Pope's declaration

Dear Brothers,

I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the barque of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.

Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.
From the Vatican, 10 February 2013

BENEDICTUS PP XVI

Vatican Radio - Pope Benedict XVI announces his resignation at end of month

usually Pope's don't resign.. he is the first to do so since 1450..
Now Pope John Paul II couldn't even walk or hold a paper...

And again if he is sick, I pray for him....

But I still think he was forced to resign... especially because of his stance against the west when it comes to Syria and his support for Syria... they gave him the options, you stop support Syria, resign, or DIE...

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ not everything is a conspiracy by the west . when you grow older you might realize that .

Back
Top Bottom