warning. Everyone was asked to vacate the area. Sound of stones rolling down
the hill created a scary rumble. Pilots, who were on DG ITBP commitment
realised that their helicopter a ALH MK I, is parked at ITBP helipad and was
likely to get damaged by the landslide
. The pilots would not leave their
machine behind and only alternative was to fly it out by night, in the drizzle
and poor weather.
Although Gauchar ALG was just 5-7 minutes flight, but there
are no night aids, not even basic airfield lighting. Besides, rules do not permit
night flying in the hills. Pilots then took advise from Task Force Commander,
Air Cmde Rajesh Isser. After speaking to them the TFC was assured of the pilots
confidence and ability to undertake the task. He briefed them for the mission
and simultaneously activated other pilots and ATC at Gauchar to reach the ALG
with torches and use vehicle lights to provide whatever assistance they could
with the available resources.

At 2355 h the helicopter started in the dark drizzling valley and negotiating
the weather, successfully relocated to Gauchar ALG. After having evacuated
hundreds of pilgrims in the area it was now the turn of the helicopter to be
evacuated, to safety. The seasoned pilots did not want to leave their machine
to face the natures fury. By evacuating it, they once again raised the bar for the
IAF motto 'Man Machine and Mission".

Livefist: Pilots 'Save' Dhruv Copter In Flooded North

Truly commendable.

The crew deserves a VSM at the very least.

Nice read..... Well done Pilots.....

Well done. "MAN MACHINE AND MISSION".

Dude,what makes you think such a expensive machine would fly without NAVAIDS?

I'm talking about Night Vision aids, not Navigation Aids.

I remember reading somewhere that early blocks of ALH did not have NV equipment in cockpit,
I may be wrong though, that's why I'm asking...

I'm talking about Night Vision aids, not Navigation Aids.

I remember reading somewhere that early blocks of ALH did not have NV equipment in cockpit,
I may be wrong though, that's why I'm asking...

Okay..I think most of the helicopters in the Indian Army have NV goggles.

Moreover,The Dhruv is equipped with the Doppler Navigation system,Radio Altimeter,weather radar and Omega navigation system which my friend are much much much more reliable than NVGs.

@Abingdonboy @sancho

Does the Dhruv Mk.1 have NV aids in cockpit?
From what I know the MK.1 didn't come with these NV aids and it was only with the MK.3 with its full, NVG-compatible,glass-cockpit that the ALH became a machine with true night-time mission capability.

However the pilots of the MK.1 and 2 do use NVGs but their cockpit is almost entirely analogue.

As such flying the MK.1/2 at night is going to a muck more tricky operation than on the MK.3 and later variants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay..I think most of the helicopters in the Indian Army have NV goggles.

Moreoever,The Dhruv is equipped with the Doppler Navigation system,Radio Altimeter,weather radar and Omega navigation system which my friend are much much much more reliable than NVGs.

But still NV aids are very necessary and important. All modern helos have them - even the latest
Dhruv variants have them.

It's great indeed they flew Mk-1 Dhruv without NV aids in night time in such bad whether and
dangerous surroundings.:tup: Hats off to the pilots.

@Gessler also factor in the MK.3 comes with the latest ground GPWS ( Ground Proximity Warning System) that will warn a pilot when they are a certain period of time away from crashing and will display this data on their moving map cockpit display- the MK.1 and 2 have a very basic GPWS system and obviously don't have the moving map symbology. Indeed a terrific job done by these guys but I hope all Mk.1 and 2 are replaced by the MK.3 post hast- the MK.3 is turly a world-class product and as safe as they come.

Last edited by a moderator:
But still NV aids are very necessary and important. All modern helos have them - even the latest
Dhruv variants have them.

It's great indeed they flew Mk-1 Dhruv without NV aids in night time in such bad whether and
dangerous surroundings.:tup: Hats off to the pilots.

Civil Chopper Pilots never used NVG still they fly at night...Thatswhy i say that NVG is a added advantage.What if there are no stars and moon how will the Pilot use his NVG then?

These equipments like GPWS,ADF,Doppler Nav and Radio Altimeter are more useful than the NVG which doesnt tell you your height or way but just paints everything in green and displays it.

If a Pilot gets lost at night he cannot use his NVG to find a way but if he has ADF he can home onto AIR station(yeah all india radio stations) and find his way to the nearest city.Anyways thats another topic all together relating to Air Navigation which is not related to this topic.

Back
Top Bottom