What's new

Peshawar Rocked by Another Blast

TaimiKhan

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
PESHAWAR: Several persons injured in a blast occurred near Pusthkhara chowk in Peshawar. Police have cordoned off the area and rescue operation is underway. The wounded are rushed to hospitals. Emergency has been imposed in the local hospitals.

This one happened at a police check post, 1.5KM away from my home.
Initial casualties are 7 dead, around 20 injured. Entry point to the city from the tribal Bara area of Khyber Agency.

This is bad :(
It has now become a part of daily routine in Peshawar. May Allah save us all and bring all of us to some sanity. Amen

There were use to be 10 - 15 police personnel always guarding the junction and I guess police were the main target.

@TaimiKhan

Dear, I believe yours is safe and sound with the grace of Allah swt and I guess you live somewhere around my home area and to add more to that, Umer Gul's (Pak Cricket team's bowler) home is hardly 200m away from the location where this blast took place.

There were use to be 10 - 15 police personnel always guarding the junction and I guess police were the main target.

@TaimiKhan

Dear, I believe yours is safe and sound with the grace of Allah swt and I guess you live somewhere around my home area and to add more to that, Umer Gul's (Pak Cricket team's bowler) home is hardly 200m away from the location where this blast took place.

Well am in Cantt area. Yes it was a main checkpost as all cars coming from bara and ring road used to be checked here. The target was somewhere inside but recently at this checkpost equipment was being used which could detect explosives, and the car was detected by the sensors at which the bomber exploded the car. It was a very powerful one too, same like the one used on CID police station in Swati phatak. 2nd day, while home shook again. :cry:

Allah help us.

May the dead rest in peace. May the wounded fully and quickly recover. My deepest sympathies to the families and friends of the departed. May the Lord's grace comfort them in their loss.:pakistan:

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistan car bomber 'kills five'

'Two dead' in new Pakistan blast

A loud explosion rocked the Pakistani city of Peshawar on Saturday, with initial reports of at least two people killed.

Unconfirmed reports, citing police officials, put the death toll at seven with many others injured.

Local media said a car laden with explosives had been rammed into a police checkpoint.

Television footage showed a large cloud of smoke above the Pushta Khara neighbourhood and the wreckage of cars.

The city has been regularly targeted by militants in recent weeks.

A car bombing on Friday on intelligence agency offices in the city killed at least 12 people and injured 40.

Two weeks ago more than 100 people were killed in a blast at a market.

Where's our JANA?

I hope she is safe & well - Jana report here?

May our Lord extend His protection unto you, your family and friends.

PESHAWAR: Several persons injured in a blast occurred near Pusthkhara chowk in Peshawar. Police have cordoned off the area and rescue operation is underway. The wounded are rushed to hospitals. Emergency has been imposed in the local hospitals.

This one happened at a police check post, 1.5KM away from my home.
Initial casualties are 7 dead, around 20 injured. Entry point to the city from the tribal Bara area of Khyber Agency.

Oh God u had a real close encounter man. You Okey ??
Condolences.

Suicide car bomb kills 7 in NW Pakistan: officials
PAKISTAN - 14 NOVEMBER 2009

PESHAWAR, Pakistan – A suicide bomber blew up his explosives-filled car Saturday at a police checkpoint in the northwestern Pakistani city of Peshawar, killing at least seven people, officials said.

"At least seven people have been killed and more than 20 others wounded," Peshawar police chief Liaqat Ali Khan told AFP.

"There are two policemen among the dead," Khan said.

Peshawar district administration chief Sahibzada Anis said that the bomber detonated when policemen asked him to stop for the search.

"A suicide bomber exploded his car when police tried to search his car at a checkpoint at a big crossing at the outskirts of Peshawar," Anis said.

Senior police official Mohammad Alim Shinwari also said that it was a suicide bombing.

Live television footage showed a huge cloud of smoke above the Pushta Khara neighbourhood of Peshawar and the wreckage of several cars.

Peshawar, on the edge of Pakistan's tribal belt infested with Al-Qaeda and Taliban fighters, has increasingly become the favoured target for attacks by militants, particularly since the army launched its offensive in October.

Early Friday a suicide attack in the city of Peshawar devastated the three-storey provincial headquarters of Inter Services Intelligence (ISI), which is heavily involved in Pakistan's anti-terror fight.

At least 17 people were killed and 39 others were injured in the bombing, officials said. Taliban militants claimed responsibility.

The most devastating bomb attack in Pakistan in two years killed at least 118 people in a crowded Peshawar market on October 28 as militants put ordinary civilians in the crosshairs of their bloody campaign.

Friday's bombing was the first major attack outside an ISI installation since May, when a suicide attack on a police building in the city of Lahore killed 24 people.

The government blames increasing attacks on Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), which is the target of the ongoing offensive and which wants to avenge the killing of their leader Baitullah Mehsud by a US missile in August.

Source: AFP

Last edited:
PESHAWAR: Five persons were killed and more than 25 others wounded in a bomb blast at a police check post, Ring Road in Pushta Khara, a suburban area of Peshawar, Geo News reports Saturday.

DCO Peshawar, Sahibzada Anis has confirmed 5 fatalities from the blast.

The high intensity blast at the check post severely damaged the vehicles parked nearby. Smolder can be seen from the blast site.

The explosion occurred when police attempted to stop the vehicle coming from Ring Road.

More than 15 persons have been hurt, while rescue work has started immediately by shifting the injured to Lady Reading Hospital and Khyber Teaching Hospital, Peshawar.

The law enforcement agencies have surrounded and sealed the explosion site, prohibiting irrelevant persons to enter the area.

Police authorities have declared it a suicide bomb blast, while the engine of vehicle used for explosion has been recovered from the scene.

President Zardari, PM Gillani, Foreign Minister Rehman Malik, chief ministers and governors of all the four provinces along with MQM chairman Altaf Hussein has strongly condemned the loss of innocent lives in Rang Road check post explosion.

RIP to the departed and get well soon to the injured.

I have a doubt here. Is this kind of attack on the check posts done for making a way for other cars/explosives/suicide bombers in the city?

I guess many explosives can enter the city after such chaos at the check point. How much is the response time of police/emergency services? What happens in the mean time? Is there any effect on other posts, as additional force is required at the attack site?

This is a very crucial factor as it can make the whole check post system useless. :undecided:

***UPDATE***

Suicide car bomb 'kills 11' in NW Pakistan
PAKISTAN - 14 NOVEMBER 2009

PESHAWAR, Pakistan – A suicide bomber blew up his explosives-filled car Saturday at a police checkpoint in the northwestern Pakistani city of Peshawar, killing at least 11 people, officials said.

"At least 11 people have been killed and 26 others wounded," Peshawar district administration chief Sahibzada Anis told AFP, adding that the bomber detonated when police asked him to stop for a search.

Three women, three children and five men were killed in the blast, he added.

Peshawar police chief Liaqat Ali Khan told AFP that two policemen were among the dead, in the second suicide bombing in the city in as many days.

Malik Jehangir, in charge of the checkpoint, told AFP policemen were checking vehicles when he saw a suspicious black car across the barrier and asked one of the policemen to go and check it.

"I saw that there was some argument between the driver and the policeman and suddenly a blast downed me with shrapnel piercing my shoulder," he said.

Another witness, Akbar Ali, said that he was riding a motorcycle and waiting in the queue at the checkpoint when he saw a scuffle between the bomber and the policeman.

"He was a young man, about 20 years old with small beard and wearing a white cap. When I noticed that his body was swollen, I left my bike there and ran away fearing he might be a bomber."

Ali said that seconds later a huge blast threw him to the ground.

Live television footage showed a huge cloud of smoke above the Pushta Khara neighbourhood, on the outskirts of Peshawar, and the wreckage of several cars.

Peshawar, on the edge of Pakistan's tribal belt that is infested with Al-Qaeda and Taliban fighters, has increasingly become the favoured target for attacks by militants, particularly since the army launched an offensive in October.

Early Friday a suicide attack in Peshawar devastated the three-storey provincial headquarters of the Inter Services Intelligence (ISI), which is heavily involved in Pakistan's anti-terror fight.

At least 17 people were killed and 39 others injured in that bombing, officials said.

The most devastating bomb attack in Pakistan in two years killed at least 118 people in a crowded Peshawar market on October 28 as militants put ordinary civilians in the crosshairs of their bloody campaign.

The government blames increasing attacks on Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), which is the target of the ongoing offensive and which wants to avenge the killing of their leader Baitullah Mehsud by a US missile in August.

The Friday and Saturday attacks were claimed by TTP.

"We claim responsibility for the ISI, Bannu and Peshawar checkpost suicide attacks. We will launch so many attacks that the President, Prime Minister and Governor would not be able to sit in their palaces," TTP spokesman Azam Tariq told AFP.

Qari Hussain, a TTP leader, said on Saturday the attacks were in reaction against the "military operation in South Waziristan and government policies.

"We will launch more suicide attacks," he told AFP.

Pakistan launched a punishing air and ground offensive in South Waziristan tribal district on October 17, with 30,000 troops backed by fighter jets and helicopter gunships.

Pakistani policemen examine the site of a suicide car bomb blast on the outskirts of Peshawar. A suicide bomber blew up his explosives-filled car at a police checkpoint in the northwestern Pakistani city of Peshawar, killing at least 10 people, officials said.

Source: AFP

Last edited:
:(
thank goodness you're ok taimi. I hope the other member, Jana, somebody mentioned is ok too. Rest in peace those departed:( very soon this menace will end, inshallah.

Back
Top Bottom