What's new

Pentagon: F-35 "plagued by problems"

Ruag

Reaction score
Pentagon chief fires head of F-35 aircraft programme

US Defence Secretary Robert Gates has sacked the marine general overseeing a $40bn (£25bn) project to build the next generation strike fighter jet.

Mr Gates said the F-35 programme had been plagued by problems and failed to hit performance targets.

He also said Lockheed Martin, the US corporation responsible for building the jet, would not be awarded $614m in performance-related payouts.

The Pentagon wants the F-35 to replace most of its ageing fighter jets.

"The progress and performance of the F-35 over the past two years has not been what it should," Mr Gates told a news conference on the Pentagon's proposed budget.

He added that "a number of key goals and benchmarks were not met".

BBC News - Pentagon chief fires head of F-35 aircraft programme

------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch!

I don't think it's that unusual to have problems with an aircraft that's still in development. For instance, the Rafale was plagued with problems.

Also can someone explain what "performance targets" means? I'm guessing that the F-35 is failing to live up to its goals in terms of manuverability, payload ect? Considering the F-35 is built by Lockheed Martin i'm suprised it's not meeting its expectations.

I don't think it's that unusual to have problems with an aircraft that's still in development. For instance, the Rafale was plagued with problems.

Also can someone explain what "performance targets" means? I'm guessing that the F-35 is failing to live up to its goals in terms of manuverability, payload ect? Considering the F-35 is built by Lockheed Martin i'm suprised it's not meeting its expectations.

Probbly that means if its equal to 5% of capability of russian planes and fighters - which its not it looks a ugly duckling...

Is Obama gonna axe the F-35 too?

Wait it's a muntinational project.

I wonder to what extent the consortium partners are liable for this obstacle and the delays of F-35?

Back
Top Bottom