What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

tbh I don't think the PAF will acquire any off-the-shelf AEW&C moving forward.

Since it is designing its own GaN AESA TRMs, the PAF's next-gen AEW&C will likely be an in-house project. China will still be involved (for obvious reasons -- Pakistan doesn't have the industrial base to source the TRMs), but the PAF will tailor its products from the ground up.

I completely agree with this - Pakistan is so so so close to having its own AEW&C/AWACs that it can now make the decision to dismiss external options and build its own AWACs and AEW&C platform as it has developed almost all of the technology in Pakistan already. Pakistan will never be allowed to get the Wedgetail and there will be noting else out there that it does not already own and or will be better than its own home build solution.

Pakistan has all the software it needs as part of developing its own ground AD radar tracking which was part of Project Vision and its derivative projects, it has also it own tactical data links and its own secure communications technology already aswell.

It is difficult to know of such an air defence system anywhere else in the world that draws upon such a wide variety of foreign sensors. Clearly they have come up with a complex system. “No, not really,” said another spokesman, “we use our very own indigenous multi-radar tracker, integrated into all of air defence systems. We don’t rely on the tracker of those particular systems.”

Pakistan is left with the T&R modules and the final step of the packaging of all of its "own" technology into a platform - ideally hosted by a derivative of a Embraer 190... which they are working on as part of Project Sultan to understand and see how to do it.

Within 7-10 years - Pakistan can have its own platform once it sets that milestone.

Last edited:
tbh I don't think the PAF will acquire any off-the-shelf AEW&C moving forward.

Since it is designing its own GaN AESA TRMs, the PAF's next-gen AEW&C will likely be an in-house project. China will still be involved (for obvious reasons -- Pakistan doesn't have the industrial base to source the TRMs), but the PAF will tailor its products from the ground up.
What are the realistic ranges achievable through airborne radars?? There must be some cap on it before the beam encounters the curvature of the 🌎

Lack of a suitable Chinese option is worrisome. PAF should pass on its experience and input for next Chinese AWACS project, for possible future acquisition, like it did for J-10C.

China has one of the most advanced awacs in the world with KJ500. It's just not available for export, since it's one generation ahead of kj2000 and phalcon type of radar. More importantly, the future of awacs is moving toward distributed and networking type of awacs. The current generation of transports ate just too unsurvivable in a contested environment.

Eagle in the Desert
1652726313911.png

Hi once india start getting state of the art awacs from usa to counter China if by that time Pakistan doesn’t have anything of their own KJ500 will be upgraded on Chinese eagle for Pakistan & who knows one or two already been upgraded as at the moment Pakistan comfortable in handling Indian awacs so Chinese also satisfied
beside their top notch technology they want to excel in that against USA bigger adversary rest is quad are not match with Chinese in terms of technology and money spending on defence
ps most of the technology transfer or gain from Chinese source Pakistan never reveal it until unless some years down the line or may be to do show of hand
if possible for someone learned members to track awacs eagle flying record we might be able to see which eagle is taking to sky more often then the other eagle
thank you

Pakistan Air Force Karakoram Eagle airborne early warning planes give the PAF the ability to see a god’s eye view of the entire battlefield, control various assets and assign them targets, and communicate with all squadrons across platforms to achieve a superior strategy...

1654783501758.png

Not happening.
Hi why not & sometime back same been said about Poseidon P8 & India still getting more of these so by the time us willing to supply wedgetail E7 awacs I’m optimistic usa might push down excessive E3 to India to maintain some buffer between USA and China with Indian help
if Indian has to remain in QUAD
thank you

Hi why not & sometime back same been said about Poseidon P8 & India still getting more of these so by the time us willing to supply wedgetail E7 awacs I’m optimistic usa might push down excessive E3 to India to maintain some buffer between USA and China with Indian help
if Indian has to remain in QUAD
thank you
Regarding P8I Procurement the Indian Navy original planned numbers were 24. 12 have been ordered. Due to budget cuts the number of 12 more was cut down to 6 now. Government of India or Indian Navy never said that the plan has been fully cancelled, only that it's under review.

Regarding AEWCS it's not actually so easy, much of the communication equipment on P8I, including Identification systems have been replaced. In the domain of Indian Ocean region , greater cooperation with USN is on the anvil, that's why American equipment going to IN is not a surprise. In future IN can even go for E2D.

But mainland India is a different story, IAF cannot depend on critical equipment supplied by USA. With the given budget of IAF , there are a certain number of AWACS we will procure. 6 Netra Mk2 are already on order and bigger ones are under development. E7 is a superb system but has its limitations on how we can use it. On E3 sentry, their service hours are near over, therefore cannot be really used by IAF.

There is only one understanding being worked between India and USA. To open the front with China if it tries to invade Taiwan and USA will ensure something similar via Taiwan if China chooses India first. Beyond this we are more wary of Americans.

USA devotes more time and money to do Surveillance against India compared to China.

Regarding P8I Procurement the Indian Navy original planned numbers were 24. 12 have been ordered. Due to budget cuts the number of 12 more was cut down to 6 now. Government of India or Indian Navy never said that the plan has been fully cancelled, only that it's under review.

Regarding AEWCS it's not actually so easy, much of the communication equipment on P8I, including Identification systems have been replaced. In the domain of Indian Ocean region , greater cooperation with USN is on the anvil, that's why American equipment going to IN is not a surprise. In future IN can even go for E2D.

But mainland India is a different story, IAF cannot depend on critical equipment supplied by USA. With the given budget of IAF , there are a certain number of AWACS we will procure. 6 Netra Mk2 are already on order and bigger ones are under development. E7 is a superb system but has its limitations on how we can use it. On E3 sentry, their service hours are near over, therefore cannot be really used by IAF.

There is only one understanding being worked between India and USA. To open the front with China if it tries to invade Taiwan and USA will ensure something similar via Taiwan if China chooses India first. Beyond this we are more wary of Americans.

USA devotes more time and money to do Surveillance against India compared to China.
Hi thanks for your detailed reply but don’t be offended india is no match to China Netra MK2 or at be later version are no match for Chinese KJ500 even usaf in limbo with their E3 against these awacs so either if not fully USA awacs Indian will get I out of E7 technology in later stages or need to buy these once available for export
can you elaborate more about surveillance thing as compare to India vs china why on earth usa want his ally I’m not saying they don’t but doing more surveillance then adversary China
E2D is not in league of big birds Kj500/E7 kind
about opening front with China as being engaged with Taiwan I believe indian will never ever do anything stupid to engage china while China is busy with Taiwan
coz that will start another kind of war engaging around more countries beside India & China as at the moment I don’t want to speculate about other idian neighbouring countries to jump in it
thank you

Hi thanks for your detailed reply but don’t be offended india is no match to China Netra MK2 or at be later version are no match for Chinese KJ500 even usaf in limbo with their E3 against these awacs so either if not fully USA awacs Indian will get I out of E7 technology in later stages or need to buy these once available for export
can you elaborate more about surveillance thing as compare to India vs china why on earth usa want his ally I’m not saying they don’t but doing more surveillance then adversary China
E2D is not in league of big birds Kj500/E7 kind
about opening front with China as being engaged with Taiwan I believe indian will never ever do anything stupid to engage china while China is busy with Taiwan
coz that will start another kind of war engaging around more countries beside India & China as at the moment I don’t want to speculate about other idian neighbouring countries to jump in it
thank you
I think the strategy is to create enough of a risk on the Indo China border for China to keep forces engaged. This dilutes your effort and the risk of a 2 front war means this will always be kept in the Chinese calculus.
Regarding Indo China actual engagement the Indians are far too wise to fall for it. Unless US unleashes its full force and decimates China by some mechanism, the Indians will not move in. As this seems increasingly unlikely the Indians will simply maintain pressure at the borders. If they do go in, they will go in only when victory is assured. My analysis and view therefore feel free to disagree

Back
Top Bottom