What's new

Pakistan to get 2 nuclear reactors from China

Marxist

Reaction score
Country
India
Persistent speculation in recent weeks that China plans to supply two nuclear reactors to Pakistan in defiance of international rules gained fresh momentum today as a leading Washington think tank reported that Beijing is about to announce the deal.

Such a decision could cloud the recent improvement in Sino-Indian relations amidst the assessment that Beijing may justify the deal with Pakistan on the grounds of nuclear stability in South Asia and the need for parity between Delhi and Islamabad.

Well known nuclear analyst Mark Hibbs, currently at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in Washington, said in a report today that "contrary to guidelines adopted in 1992 by nuclear equipment supplier states in the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), China is poised to export two power reactors to Pakistan".

"China has argued", according to Hibbs, "that there are compelling political reasons concerning the stability of South Asia to justify the exports."

Citing diplomatic sources, Hibbs says that China will "not justify the transactions on the basis of any confidential commercial agreements between China and Pakistan".

Under the current guidelines of the nuclear suppliers group (NSG), no nuclear transfers are allowed to countries that do not sign the non-proliferation treaty or do not accept comprehensive international safeguards on their nuclear programme. While India got an exemption to this framework in 2008, the rules continue to apply to Pakistan.

China has had expansive military and civil nuclear cooperation with Pakistan since the late 1970s, but Beijing had agreed to severely limit it when it joined the NSG in 2004. Yet as negotiations on the Indo-US civil nuclear initiative limped along after it was announced in July 2005, Beijing allowed its state entities to negotiate an agreement to sell two nuclear reactors to Pakistan in 2006.

China's political leadership, however, was unwilling to confirm this deal when President Hu Jintao visited Pakistan at the end of 2006. In the last few weeks there have been frequent reports in Pakistani media that Beijing is now ready to press ahead.

The Carnegie report today cited senior NSG diplomats as saying that they expect Beijing to "inform the NSG of its planned transaction". The report also added that the Obama administration might "accept a limited amount of additional Chinese nuclear commerce with Pakistan as a price for getting Chinese support on UN Security Council sanctions against Iran in weeks ahead."

Buzz builds: Pak to get 2 n-reactors from China - Yahoo! India News

Good news ... this has got nothing to do with sino-indian realtionship as China is Pakistan's best friend .. a friend in need is a friend inded. We have major power prob in the country and it i much needed i sure hope india won't cry over this cuz this is not a defence deal.

Well this could be the planned Chashma 3 & 4 reactors which we had been listening about for quiet some time.

Hope this time, they are huge capacity ones, atleast 500MW or more, as 300MW ones are smaller, need bigger ones.

Well this could be the planned Chashma 3 & 4 reactors which we had been listening about for quiet some time.

Hope this time, they are huge capacity ones, atleast 500MW or more, as 300MW ones are smaller, need bigger ones.

its a same news we have been hearing since past many years now. These are Chashma 3 and 4 reactors both having net generation capacity of 320MW.

its a same news we have been hearing since past many years now. These are Chashma 3 and 4 reactors both having net generation capacity of 320MW.

Chashma 3 & 4 would be 300MW each, thus net would be 600MW or more from them.

And if KANUPP-II project had made its start on time, by 2012 it would have been producing 1,000MW electricity, but for now it has been stopped to concentrate on the Chashma 3&4 as the same Chinese guys are gonna make the KANUPP also, thus would be difficult for them.

Also, the Chinese helped Pakistan Nuclear Power Fuel Complex would also be able to produce 1,000MW electricity.

The above news if new, may suggest this has nothing to do with Chashma 3&4 as they are already under construction, may be these are two other new ones, as KANUPP 2 & 3, each 1,000MW are also in the planning stage, thus these 2 may be some new reactors which are being negotiated.

i dont foresee any such thing..there was no hint even when zardari visited china..
chashma 3 n 4 under construction...thats news for me..

Chashma 3 & 4 would be 300MW each, thus net would be 600MW or more from them.

And if KANUPP-II project had made its start on time, by 2012 it would have been producing 1,000MW electricity, but for now it has been stopped to concentrate on the Chashma 3&4 as the same Chinese guys are gonna make the KANUPP also, thus would be difficult for them.

Also, the Chinese helped Pakistan Nuclear Power Fuel Complex would also be able to produce 1,000MW electricity.

The above news if new, may suggest this has nothing to do with Chashma 3&4 as they are already under construction, may be these are two other new ones, as KANUPP 2 & 3, each 1,000MW are also in the planning stage, thus these 2 may be some new reactors which are being negotiated.

No as per the government of Pakistan they are not under construction....... they are supposed to start under construction by the end of this year

And Chashma 3&4 widely known as 300MW but they infact are 340MW plant having a net output of 320MW as per Pakistani newspapers

Read this:

ISLAMABAD: The federal government has formally approved $1.91 billion inter-governmental framework agreement for financing of Chashma 3 and 4 nuclear power projects with Peoples Republic of China, sources told Dawn on Monday.

The Chashma nuclear power project 3 and 4 of 320 MW each are being built by Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) and China Zongyuan Engineering Corporation at the existing Chashma site in district Mianwali.

Read the full article: DAWN.COM | Business | Financing pact for Chashma-3, 4 approved

Under the current guidelines of the nuclear suppliers group (NSG), no nuclear transfers are allowed to countries that do not sign the non-proliferation treaty or do not accept comprehensive international safeguards on their nuclear programme. While India got an exemption to this framework in 2008, the rules continue to apply to Pakistan.

very nice!that US-india deal came in 2006..exemption in 2008..
n pakistan has already agreed that it will put its civil nuclear reactors under IAEA inspection in case of such deal..whats the problem with NSG??:pakistan:

very nice!that US-india deal came in 2006..exemption in 2008..
n pakistan has already agreed that it will put its civil nuclear reactors under IAEA inspection in case of such deal..whats the problem with NSG??:pakistan:

The problem is there my friend,

A very serious problem is there......... we are not sure yet how the NSG going to react on this news......... lets hope everything gets sorted out and they don't put any more hurdles in between

The problem is there my friend,

A very serious problem is there......... we are not sure yet how the NSG going to react on this news......... lets hope everything gets sorted out and they don't put any more hurdles in between
i don think pakistan really cares about NSG but obviously china will consider..but right now chinas has more weight..i think obama will let it go..
u know y india got exempted??it was something related to IAEA inspection i presume..don tell me it was that non proliferation crap..

i don think pakistan really cares about NSG but obviously china will consider..but right now chinas has more weight..i think obama will let it go..
u know y india got exempted??it was something related to IAEA inspection i presume..don tell me it was that non proliferation crap..
China can't sell Nuclear plants prior to permission from NSG. China became a member of NSG in 2004 so they will have to seek permission from NSG before going ahead with the nuclear reactors for Pakistan. Since Pakistan is not NPT signatory they cannot directly sell to Pakistan and they will have to amend the treaty once again like they did for India in order to make special room for Pakistan. Now both countries are well aware of this problem and we both know this problem will occur in the future. The question is how are we going to tackle with it? hopefully if we can put some pressure on US all will be settled up;)

Before china sold us reactors because they were not part of NSG either so they were not bound to follow the rules of Nuclear Suppliers Group. And the last option is........... build nuclear reactors secretly :rofl:

u summarized all the previous posts..i knew this already...my question was on what grounds India got exemption??:undecided:

China can't sell Nuclear plants prior to permission from NSG. China became a member of NSG in 2004 so they will have to seek permission from NSG before going ahead with the nuclear reactors for Pakistan. Since Pakistan is not NPT signatory they cannot directly sell to Pakistan and they will have to amend the treaty once again like they did for India in order to make special room for Pakistan. Now both countries are well aware of this problem and we both know this problem will occur in the future. The question is how are we going to tackle with it? hopefully if we can put some pressure on US all will be settled up;)

Before china sold us reactors because they were not part of NSG either so they were not bound to follow the rules of Nuclear Suppliers Group. And the last option is........... build nuclear reactors secretly :rofl:
pakistan has not got enough resources otherwise we would have done that..n why secretly?after all its for civilian purposes n as i always say we r not NPT signatory..we arent obliged to follow it!hell with those hypocrites..:devil:

u summarized all the previous posts..i knew this already...my question was on what grounds India got exemption??:undecided:
No idea - didn't read posts written above

You can read first few lines of this agreement for your answer

Indo-U.S. civilian nuclear agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
pakistan has not got enough resources otherwise we would have done that..n why secretly?after all its for civilian purposes n as i always say we r not NPT signatory..we arent obliged to follow it!hell with those hypocrites..:devil:

by secretely i mean Pakistan is not signatory to NPT right....... so they can seek assistance from chinese from backdoor and build plants and later on ask IAEA to safeguard it and claim it to be ingedenious design :yahoo:

Both IAEA will be happy and our energy requirements shall be fullfilled......... but the problem here is we have NO money to take any step - taking loan from chinese for the construction of above mentioned reactors :angry:

Back
Top Bottom