What's new

Pakistan - the place to be at

53fd

New Recruit

Reaction score
Pakistan is making the headlines in the international media, for all the wrong reasons. My own personal experience, working in interior Sindh for the last 4 months, has been completely different, and taught me a lot of things. My previous interactions in Pakistan over the years had been restricted to people belonging to the upper-class, middle-upper class of society. Now, my interactions are strictly confined to the middle class of Pakistan, & the lower-middle class as well. I never thought I could be comfortable living amongst them, but I am.

I have a lot of faith about the resurgent middle, lower-middle class of Pakistan. Everyone in Pakistan is occupied in one thing or the other, always doing something, always trying to make their socioeconomic conditions better, whether that is the rickshaw wala, thella wala, shopkeeper etc. I read a report on how poverty levels of Pakistan had decreased by 5% since 2008, & it did not surprise me too much. The 2010 Global Wellbeing survey of 124 nations conducted by Gallup also showed that Pakistanis ranked ahead of their neighbors. The reason why Pakistanis have been ranked ahead of their neighbors in the wellbeing Gallup survey can be found in the strength of Pakistan's rural economy.

It is being spurred by the higher food and commodity prices resulting in the transfer of additional new tax-free farm income of about Rs. 300 billion in the current fiscal year alone to Pakistan's ruling party's power base of landowners in small towns and villages in Southern Punjab and Rural Sindh, from those working in the relatively economically stagnant urban industrial and service sectors who pay bulk of the taxes. Of course, there is a big downside: there is a bigger hole in Pakistan's public finances which is being funded with increased foreign aid and loans.

I have interacted with the resurgent middle, lower-middle class of Pakistani society, & it has cleared some of the misconceptions I held, that things are not as bad as I thought they were. I have also realized that for the most part, people are friendly to others, regardless of what their ethnic background is, or what their religious beliefs are. When I hanging out (as a non-Sindhi speaker) with a group of Sindhi friends, they all talk to each other in Urdu, so I can understand what they are saying, & I do not feel left out or out of place.

The potential to make a difference in Pakistan is huge, if you are willing to work hard, think positive & have good connections/networking skills. These are exciting times to be in Pakistan, it might well be the world's most happening place right now (for good & bad), but there is such raw energy here, it makes one feel alive. After all, where else in the world can you find rickshaws, chinqchis, camels, donkeys, convertible cars, motorcycles, bicycles on the same road but Pakistan?

The potential to make a difference in Pakistan is huge, if you are willing to work hard, think positive & have good connections/networking skills. ..................

As long as "good connections" trump "merit", that huge potential will not be realized.

As long as "good connections" trump "merit", that huge potential will not be realized.

I would argue that it is very difficult to survive in the US without "connections" either, especially with the way the economy is doing. I think it is pretty standard behavior, although it varies from place to place, nation to nation.

bilal bhai

no doubt,your a true patriotic
its very rare to find a overseas pakistani like you

I would argue that it is very difficult to survive in the US without "connections" either, especially with the way the economy is doing. I think it is pretty standard behavior, although it varies from place to place, nation to nation.

Here, connections can help only if basic merit is there, not otherwise. and even then in limited ways.

In Pakistan "blind woman is lying there"! :P

Here, connections can help only if basic merit is there, not otherwise. and even then in limited ways.

In Pakistan "blind woman is lying there"! :P

Speaking of the UK connections help immaterial of basic merit. However it is very subtle compared to developing countries.

Good to hear what you had to say Bilal

Speaking of the UK connections help immaterial of basic merit. However it is very subtle compared to developing countries.

Good to hear what you had to say Bilal

The UK works by the Old Boy's Clubs.

The UK works by the Old Boy's Clubs.

it would appear that AIPAC assist there chosen ones in America but I think we are gong a bit off topic. Back to Pakistan I am really pleased with Bilal's findings

Well we can always pick the negative things and discuss ............

But i think its it better that for some time we concentrate on the positive side of the picture which is that Pakistanis lower and middle class are trying hard to make their life better.

I totally appreciate Bilal that you came back to Pakistan for the Job. :tup:

I totally appreciate Bilal that you came back to Pakistan for the Job. :tup:

Someone high up in an official capacity once said to me years ago:

"Waapis wohi aata hey jiss kay wahaan paaon nahi jamtay."

Name one country in the world that doesn't have the potential to be great.

From North Korea to Somalia. All countries have great potential.

Just like every child in a class has the potential to be first. It's how the child utilizes his or her potential that matters.

I didn't want to spoil your fun but this is the harsh fact of life.

Some guys do well, some don't do so well but they all have the potential.

Just like every child in a class has the potential to be first. It's how the child utilizes his or her potential that matters.

Dude that was hardly necessary, he was giving his personal opinion, which I share actually, the rural economy is doing very well, this is were the vast majority of poverty exists, I could give a pithy response about india, but will refrain from doing so - as Bilal's thread is about the positive, and I will not sully it.

Another thing I have found is the vast majority of people are tolerant and open minded, it is the vocal and lunatic fringe that gain the headlines and responsible for the violence.

Dude that was hardly necessary, he was giving his personal opinion, which I share actually, the rural economy is doing very well, this is were the vast majority of poverty exists, I could give a pithy response about india, but will refrain from doing so - as Bilal's thread is about the positive, and I will not sully it.

Another thing I have found is the vast majority of people are tolerant and open minded, it is the vocal and lunatic fringe that gain the headlines and responsible for the violence.

Bilal gave his opinion.

I gave mine.

You're free to state yours.

How are any of the developments, in countries like Libya, Iraq, Somalia etc promising?

Back
Top Bottom