What's new

Pakistan Super League launched.

S.U.R.B.

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Pakistan Super League unveiled as PCB lures stars

KARACHI: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), on Thursday, unveiled its plan for hosting a glamorous Twenty20 cricket league, which it hoped would lure international stars and herald the revival of international cricket in the country.

The Pakistan Super League (PSL) was launched in Lahore in a glitzy ceremony attended by members of Pakistan’s men’s and women’s cricket captains, board officials and cricket greats.

According to the PCB, the league will be launched this March, with an opening ceremony on March 23 and matches will ensue from the following day.

Five teams will be part of the league in its first three editions and each team will comprise five local players and six international players.

PSL will be played on a league format with all teams playing each other twice on pattern of the popular football leagues and the Indian Premier League (IPL).

Ashraf said the league would go a long way in helping local cricketers as they will get a chance to play with the big names of the game and herald a new era for Pakistan’s domestic cricket.

Former chief of the International Cricket Council (ICC) Haroon Lorgat has been appointed as an advisor of the league, PCB Chairman Zaka Ashraf announced during the ceremony.

“Today is a very important day for Pakistan cricket,” Lorgat, who was present at the ceremony, said.

Lorgat had previously met with PCB officials as they sought to bring international cricket teams back to Pakistan.

“PSL will help revive international cricket in Pakistan,” Lorgat said.

No international cricket team has played in Pakistan following the attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in March 2009, which injured several Sri Lankan cricketers and ICC umpires.

While Bangladesh Cricket Board had shown willingness to send its team to Pakistan on two occasions last year, it backed out later citing reservations on the security situation.

Pakistan Super League unveiled as PCB lures stars | Cricket | DAWN.COM

pakistan-super-league-launch-twitter-670.jpg

@ PSL news

thats too much quota of foreign players in one team ...6 foreign players in one team !!!!! from where PCB will bring so many foreign quality players .....6 players in each team... so 5 teams make 30 foreign players then you need some reserve/back-up and extras that makes it to roughly 40-42 players that is sum number .....i fear we may not see major players .....

WI players will be lot easier than most to attract with relatively very low salaries from their board and lingering conflicts

@ PSL news

thats too much quota of foreign players in one team ...6 foreign players in one team !!!!! from where PCB will bring so many foreign quality players .....6 players in each team... so 5 teams make 30 foreign players then you need some reserve/back-up and extras that makes it to roughly 40-42 players that is sum number .....i fear we may not see major players .....

WI players will be lot easier than most to attract with relatively very low salaries from their board and lingering conflicts

I'm in favor of 3 international players per team.More than this will be an over kill.

And by that PCB will need to divide the allocated money amongst three cricketer,which means that each team can afford bigger and better.

I'm in favor of 3 international players per team.More than this will be an over kill.

And by that PCB will need to divide the allocated money amongst three cricketer,which means that each team can afford bigger and better.

the strategy seems to be just focusing on calling as much as foreign players as they can and make them play ...the aim is to show the world that we are safe to play and nothing more will be as worthy for the foreigners as to see their country fellows playing in PSL as far as PCBs and Pakistan's interests are concerned

@ PSL news

Believe me they are in better position to guage the level of interest of foreign player and there by deciding the quota than you, keeping in mind various factors.
BTW nice name and good start. :yahoo:

Believe me they are in better position to guage the level of interest of foreign player and there by deciding the quota than you, keeping in mind various factors.

This is not just about being in a better position.
Well they are starting a league they better must be in some good position.But the point is that the current schedule starting from march(they have selected a pretty fancy date to start with) matches that of the local season of cricket in which many youngsters participate and play along their seniors.

So if you are packing the teams with foreigners.It'll will not only give the teams a good look, but also decrease the amount of young talent that can get some exposure.
Also IMO local players ensure how serious this tournament gets in the end.For foreign player it'll be just an event ,another outing.But the youngster will be looking to impress the higher ups.
Let's hope it doesn't turn out to be another IPL.

i never said that i am 100% right on it ...but i presented my opinion...no league in the world plays so many foreign players ....doing so it will do two major harms

1-will not allow more youngsters to play in the team as a result no grooming for those
2- will loose the home-made factor

apart from that PCB may have money but not the richest out there so it can throw alot of money for un-necessary things ....at this point in time if PCB succeeds in calling even 25 quality foreign players it will be a great success and a big achievement for PCB 40-42 is quite a high number considering many will be hesitant and many will have busy schedules

@S.U.R.B.

any news about the franchises , owners of franchises, teams, logos etc

Here are some of the suggested names for the teams by the organizers

1.Karachi Super Stars
2.Faislabad Rangers
3.Lahore Warriors
4.Federal Vipers
5.Sialkot Smashers

btw i dont like the names specially faisalabad rangers and federal vipers ...heck Pakistanis are in love with the word viper try to use it anywhere they possibly can

Last edited by a moderator:
@S.U.R.B.

any news about the franchises , owners of franchises, teams, logos etc

Here are some of the suggested names for the teams by the organizers

1.Karachi Super Stars
2.Faislabad Rangers
3.Lahore Warriors
4.Federal Vipers
5.Sialkot Smashers

btw i dont like the names specially faisalabad rangers and federal vipers ...heck Pakistanis are in love with the word viper try to use it anywhere they possibly can
hehe just like f16

Last edited by a moderator:
the strategy seems to be just focusing on calling as much as foreign players as they can and make them play ...the aim is to show the world that we are safe to play and nothing more will be as worthy for the foreigners as to see their country fellows playing in PSL as far as PCBs and Pakistan's interests are concerned

Agreed ... There is no harm in organizing one odd season with more foreign players to show the world that Pakistan is a safe place for cricket but then it must be ensured that announced numbers of foreign players be arranged or they can amend as max of six players can play in a team. Keep it up PCB.

Great.but can we buy player at prices equivalent of IPL?even if half.players will always want to come

Back
Top Bottom