What's new

Pakistan Struggles To Fund Counterinsurgency Vehicles

Gryphon

Reaction score
October 20, 2013 | By Usman Ansari

bilde

Pakistan has ordered three Serbian-built Lazar 2 multirole armored vehicles for evaluation to improve its land warfare capabilities. (Wikimedia image by Srdan Popovic)

ISLAMABAD — Economic problems are hampering Pakistani efforts to acquire needed counterinsurgency vehicles, but domestic and international options offer some hope, officials said.

The deaths of Maj. Gen. Sanaullah Khan and Lt. Col. Tauseef Ahmed in a Sept. 15 Taliban improvised explosive device (IED) attack near the Afghan border hammered home the need to improve counterinsurgency vehicles. Khan and Ahmed had been inspecting troops in the region.

Years of efforts to acquire more suitable counterinsurgency vehicles have not borne fruit, and even the long-awaited indigenous Burraq mine-resistant, ambush-protected vehicle has not entered service. A spokesman for state-owned Heavy Industries Taxila said, “Burraq is on hold,” but gave no reason.

Brian Cloughley, former Australian defense attaché to Islamabad, said, “the major problem, as always, is cash.”

Any substantial procurement would be difficult to make as Pakistan is seeking aid from the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank, he said.

Foreign offers of surplus vehicles have also been declined however, again mainly for financial reasons.

“The Army didn’t want the surplus US vehicles from Afghanistan, not just because they want to cut reliance on US equipment wherever possible, but because of operating costs and complexity,” Cloughley said.

Nevertheless, options are being explored.

At the Serbian “Partner 2013” defense exhibition in June, local media quoted the nation’s Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Aleksandar Vucic as saying that Pakistan had ordered three Lazar 2 eight-wheel-drive multirole armored vehicles developed by state-owned Yugoimport SDPR.

These are thought to be for evaluation, with local production in Pakistan a possibility.

The Lazar 2 is a more multirole version of the Lazar 1 vehicle and is configurable for a wide range of roles with various weapon options.

Yugoimport SDPR would not comment on details of a deal, and the Serbian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Serbian Embassy in Beijing, (from where Serbia is represented in Pakistan), also declined to comment.

The Ministry of Defence here was unable to give any details.

The spokesman for Heavy Industries Taxila, however, confirmed no co-production deal had yet been signed.

Cloughley said the company can quickly manufacture the Lazar 2, but added, “The Army doesn’t need a [multirole combat vehicle] for the eastern front, and the armoured/mech infantry divisions seem to be comparatively low priority at the moment,” he said.

Analyst Usman Shabbir of the Pakistan Military Consortium said the Army may have to think smaller.

The Army “certainly needs better 4x4 vehicles in [the Federally Administered Tribal Areas] region, ... something that could provide a certain level of protection against small arms fire and limited protection against small size IEDs,” he said.

One possible option is a new version of the Mohafiz four-wheel-drive security vehicle developed by Taxila. Now based on a Toyota Land Cruiser 79 chassis, the Mohafiz III offers improved protection.

“The Mohafiz III is most likely the cheapest and easiest solution available,” Shabbir said, but it remains to be seen if it will enter service the Army.

Pakistan Struggles To Fund Counterinsurgency Vehicles | Defense News | defensenews.com

Can't be so critically bad as all that?
IED-resistant and mine-proof vehicles will be an increasing requirement for the PA going forward. Maybe the Chinese will be able to help out; either in helping to make some cheaper and less complex versions or in extending some 'soft loans' to tide over the financial stringency.

But the PA will certainly need to apply their mind to this issue. To tackle the increasing IED attacks mounted by the insurgents.

Unprotected 4x4s re talking their toll... a quick solution Muhafiz III... as Mr Khan said should be inducted in large numbers as a stop gap solution before Burraq or Lazar 2 arrive..

ykFGJ3a.jpg

TxAMuC5.jpg

I don't know how well can Muhafiz-III perform against AP rounds or IEDs. The IEDs that TTP uses is mostly madeup of very powerful explosives, I remember seeing a video where they even put in some Mortar rounds, just for fun -_- Burraq was a good answer to this, but anyway. MoD needs to realize that the cost of human life is not measurable, losing our soldiers to IEDs is the biggest morale-killer I can think of, after of course hearing TTP apologist talking about peace with terrorists back home.

I don't know how well can Muhafiz-III perform against AP rounds or IEDs. The IEDs that TTP uses is mostly madeup of very powerful explosives, I remember seeing a video where they even put in some Mortar rounds, just for fun -_- Burraq was a good answer to this, but anyway. MoD needs to realize that the cost of human life is not measurable, losing our soldiers to IEDs is the biggest morale-killer I can think of, after of course hearing TTP apologist talking about peace with terrorists back home.

Most of our casualities have been because of these IEDs .....

Mohafiz III should be upgraded to a new standard with atleast b7 level protection and most important if not more than atleast capable of withstanding to upto 5-8kg of TNT blast.

Mohafiz III Already is slightly bigger than the Older Mohafiz and is having a RCWS on top aswell
Such an upgrade to an existing vehicle is wont be much time consuming and ofcourse not too expensive aswell.

Burraq was a very useless program as the vehicle is way too small when compared to the real Israel IAI made WildCat MRAP.

After 2003-04 we indeed were on a great path of indigenization but Dont know what happened after 2008

Mohafiz III should be upgraded to a new standard with atleast b7 level protection and most important if not more than atleast capable of withstanding to upto 5-8kg of TNT blast.

Mohafiz III Already is slightly bigger than the Older Mohafiz and is having a RCWS on top aswell
Such an upgrade to an existing vehicle is wont be much time consuming and ofcourse not too expensive aswell.

Burraq was a very useless program as the vehicle is way too small when compared to the real Israel IAI made WildCat MRAP.

After 2003-04 we indeed were on a great path of indigenization but Dont know what happened after 2008

Pakistan can also put cage around MohafizIII to protect it upto a level from direct RPG hit.

Mohafiz III with RCWS.

Platform is already Good.

*Upgrade the protection level,So that it can atleast withstand to 5-8kg of TNT blast
*Upgrade the Engine to slightly more powerful as the above one is good for cities but it need more power as the terrain in the north west of Pakistan where the army is busy in operation is different

This is by far the most cheapest and quickly available option.

82391447.jpg

What I can't understand is that we can make tanks and other APCs but we cant make an advance IFV & MRAP vehicle for our soldiers, why? and why PA is not using Talha and other APCs which are locally built? does it mean that they are not capable of handling rag tag TTP as compared to IA, if yes then how PA will handle IA as they are very potent force? :what:

What I can't understand is that we can make tanks and other APCs but we cant make an advance IFV & MRAP vehicle for our soldiers, why? and why PA is not using Talha and other APCs which are locally built? does it mean that they are not capable of handling rag tag TTP as compared to IA, if yes then how PA will handle IA as they are very potent force? :what:

Because that tank is chinese

Back
Top Bottom