What's new

Pakistan Should Increase it's Defence Budget to Atleast 20 Billion dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once you start spending $ 20 billion per year on defence, a nuclear or ballistic missile threat from nafarious forces around you will not be required to destroy your country. It will happen by itself..

btw, you dont have that kind of money to spend on defence anyway. The IMF funding comes with a ton of conditions. You step out of line on spend, the taps dry up on the money..

Utterly garbage statement here... Do you Indian trolls have anything better to do than to ruin threads with your nonsensical notions and statements?

20 Billion dollars is very feasible, and those who know enough about the Pakistani economy know that it is very possible... There would just have be the right amount of initiative taken against certain corrupt politicians and business men to make this proposal work.

Bad math.

Also, the economy is nothing to be worried about here, atleast fiscally speaking.

The problem lies mainly in who runs and operates the economy... If we get rid of these feudals and corrupt politicians and business men who operate the agricultural farms and mills (in many cases corruptively) then most of our economic problems will be solved.

Increasing military expenditures will not detriment the economy, instead they will likely increase the amount of jobs and at the same time give us adequate defence.

Defence of the nation should be first priority... If war breaks out, the economy will be one of the last things on our mind if we are worried about a nuclear or ballistic missile threat from nafarious forces around us.

Pakistan is in a tough spot at the moment. With increasing demand from the West, the Kerry-Lugar bill which aims to diminish military trade between Pakistan and the US, and Indian belligerence; our military should be ahead of the game.

We lack adequate SAM's and Missile defence shields. We have no 5th generation fighters (and Indians are planning in the next decade to procure a stealth Pak-Fa Russian fighter, which may render many of our radars insufficient)...

We MUST increase our defence budget! Honestly, the clock is ticking.

In the next decade Indians are planning to get 126-200 MRCA 5th gen fighters, and over 200 Su-30 MKI 5th gen fighters. They also have Anti-Ballistic Missile technology!

The time is now! 8 Billion is no where near enough for a large nation like Pakistan.

We are ranked 23rd for goodness sake in amount of military expenditures... an increase to atleast 20 billion dollars would suffice for our needs, especially in the long run.

Sir ji Paisay nahi ha hamaray pass.Kaha is la saktay ha 20 Billion Dollars defence ka liya.Hamara pora budget he 25 billion dollar ha.Invest now in economy and at the end of the decade or even in 5 years we can increase our defence budget.Look i am going to give a simple equation.

Pakistani Current defence budget=5 Billion Dollars.

Suppose if we do not grow and continue the present rate it means

5 billion per year x 10 years=50 billion dollars in the next decade.

Now suppose if we decerease defence spending now by say even 1 billion dollar for 5 years and spend that money on some good thing say education,health that inturn will increase our economic activity there by generating revenue.so what will be at the end of decade

4 billion dollars per year x 5 years=20 billion dollars

Now due to increase economic activity government budget increases and so does the defence budget.

10 billion dollars per year x 5 years=50 billion dollars.

Total budget spent at the end of decade=20+50=70 Billion dollars.

so now in the first scenario we have spent 50 billion dollars in 1st scenario.and we got nothing new in development

But in the second scenario we have spent 70 billion dollars in the decade but also have got better infrastructure and also increased budget meaning more weapons.

I Can only say we must think long term.

Utterly garbage statement here... Do you Indian trolls have anything better to do than to ruin threads with your nonsensical notions and statements?

20 Billion dollars is very feasible, and those who know enough about the Pakistani economy know that it is very possible... There would just have be the right amount of initiative taken against certain corrupt politicians and business men to make this proposal work.

In 2009-10 you had a total budget of Pak Rs 2462.3 billion (kelick). Using an exchange rate of Rs 83/dollar (kelick) Rs 2462.3 billion amounts to $ 29.66 billion. You want to spend $ 20 billion of it i.e. 67% of total budgeted amount, just on defense?

Good luck with that.

I can see that some Pakistanis haven't yet come out of that deadly 'will-eat-grass-but-will-make-bum' syndrome.

Last edited:
Get realistic dude. Spending 7-8 % on defense is gonna hurt your economy badly and specially when you're not doing good, it might get even worse.

What you need to do instead is get your economy going well. Invest and work up your economy so that your defense budget can also scale with the economy.

Today:

GDP - $165 billion
Military expenditure - 3% = $4.95 billion

In future if you work on economy rather than defense budget:

GDP - $250 billion
Military expenditure - 3% = $7.5 billion

Now I don't know what you suggest, but my vote goes to the second option.

Increasing defense budget would only slow down your economic and social growth.

So anyone not agreeing with your comment devoid of all sense and practicality is a troll ?? :azn:

11% of your GDP going into defense when you are having power riots in your country is a recipe for disaster. Get the economy up and maintain the % of GDP as defence expenditure as same. That will do it for you...

Anyway.. my last post on this thread.. (already twice too many)

First we need to develop our economy... and don't need to increase more defence expenditure...increase the development and revenue... get the GDP to 700 or 800 Billion dollar then our defence bugdet will cross 20 billion dollars easily and one don't have to increase the GDP ratio on defence. develop economy on 10% rate annually and keep the 3% on defence .. defence expenditures will get more money easily... but sorry i don't think so 10% growth per annum is possible with this government in place.

First we need to develop our economy... and don't need to increase more defence expenditure...increase the development and revenue... get the GDP to 700 or 800 Billion dollar then our defence bugdet will cross 20 billion dollars easily and one don't have to increase the GDP ratio on defence. develop economy on 10% rate annually and keep the 3% on defence .. defence expenditures will get more money easily... but sorry i don't think so 10% growth per annum is possible with this government in place.

ya ...that will be most acceptable thing.

build economy.........defense will follow:victory:

I think it is a bad idea. But if Pakistan decide to do something of this sort, the economy will be in shambles.

Pakistan Economy 2010
====================
GDP (official exchange rate):
$166.5 billion (2009 est.)

GDP - real growth rate:
====================
2.7% (2009 est.)
3.4% (2008 est.)
6% (2007 est.)

Budget:
==========
revenues: $23.21 billion
expenditures: $30.05 billion (2009 est.)

Public debt:
==========
45.3% of GDP (2009 est.)
51.2% of GDP (2008 est.)

Current account balance:
====================
$-2.42 billion (2009 est.)
$-15.68 billion (2008 est.)

Reserves of foreign exchange and gold:
========================================
$15.68 billion (31 December 2009 est.)
$8.903 billion (31 December 2008 est.)

Debt - external:
$52.12 billion (31 December 2009 est.)
$46.39 billion (31 December 2008 est.)

Exchange rates:
==================
Pakistani rupees (PKR) per US dollar - 81.41 (2009), 70.64 (2008), 60.6295 (2007), 60.35 (2006), 59.515 (2005)
:cheers:

Get realistic dude. Spending 7-8 % on defense is gonna hurt your economy badly and specially when you're not doing good, it might get even worse.

What you need to do instead is get your economy going well. Invest and work up your economy so that your defense budget can also scale with the economy.

Today:

GDP - $165 billion
Military expenditure - 3% = $4.95 billion

In future if you work on economy rather than defense budget:

GDP - $250 billion
Military expenditure - 3% = $7.5 billion

Now I don't know what you suggest, but my vote goes to the second option.

Increasing defense budget would only slow down your economic and social growth.

Incorrect.

Our GDP was $449.3 billion (2009 est.), this has since increased.

And our defence budget a few years ago was $7.8 Billion, this has since increased as well.

As I have said 20 billion is very feasible, and the current rate of 3% is far too little.

Incorrect.

And our defence budget a few years ago was $7.8 Billion, this has since increased as well.

As I have said 20 billion is very feasible, and the current rate of 3% is far too little.

Your GDP is not $449.3 billion. This is your PPP, or purchasing power parity. When we talk about GDP, we talk in terms of nominal GDP and not PPP.

Pakistan's nominal GDP is $165 billion for 2008.

India's GDP(nominal) is $1.22 trillion, but in terms of PPP, its $3.5 trillion. There's a huge difference in it.

Incorrect.

449.3 billion may be your gdp-ppp.....It is just relevent in pakistani market...& when you are talking about international market your GDP is just around 160 billion$

even in india there is huge diff. between PPP & nominal

Xtremeownage..yaar If only the party in power invest in Gawadar to make it completely developed project 20 billion dollars would be possible so far signs of the success of Gawadar is very slim..
No Gawadar
No Thar Col project
No Deep Sea Oil Extracts at Gawadar
No Gold mine extract project that are a 100 billion dollars worth and more.
Therefore No success in Long Term which means stick to what we have.

Food for thought.. The top 10 in the list of countries by military expenditure as a percentage of GDP are countries in the north African and middle east region. Why??

we have a long way to go the reason why we are not stable is beacuse of WOT and its hitting us hard ... the only thing sit back and relax there a reason why mods made you miltary budget 3 percent of our GDP ... we first have to look at you energy needs and then our infastructure THEN our miltary other wise we will still be currupt but have a flashy miltary that is a prime expample of india..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom