Pakistan Railways , plans 60 Additional Locomotives by End of Year

AZADPAKISTAN2009

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Source #1
PR to add 60 new locomotives to fleet by December

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Railways would add 60 new locomotives to its fleet by December.
Pakistan Railways had also finalised a plan to purchase another 75 engines with major emphasis on coal-powered engines, said an official of PR while talking to media.
Coal-powered engines of 4500 Horse Power would be more powerful than the existing 3000 HP engines.
He expressed the optimism that due to steps taken by the government, Pakistan Railways would be out of crisis by August 2014.
To a question, he said, the government had allocated Rs 102.52 billion to meet the developmental and non-developmental expenditures of PR during current fiscal year. (APP)

Source #2
Islamabad- Pakistan Railways will procure 75 new locomotives to improve its efficiency and facilitate passengers for their timely journey.
Various international companies including General Electric of the United States have expressed their interest to provide these locomotives to Pakistan Railways. The federal government has allocated 4.6 billion rupees for the procurement of new locomotives during the current financial year. Ministry of Railways has decided to issue open international tenders for the procurement
of locomotives focusing on long term joint ventures with the providers.

engine.jpg

10438132_723415227726410_3373589718426858164_n.jpg

Last edited:
Coal Power engines? Really?
Are these going to be kind of steam engines.
I think india can offer a lot of them pakistan.
It will help india empty up its parking spaces and would also fetch nation some $$ for selling junks.

Probably the locomotive engineers didnt want to go Pakistan for servicing and other maintenance as required.
And also I think leasing model would not work, so buy/sell trade might have been the better way.

Was going through en wikipedia org / wiki / Locomotives_of_India and was surprised to find that we have more varieties then the number of locomotives Pakistan intents to import.

Seriously India should look it as big market and should expand the manufacturing capacities for export purpose. SAARC countries could benefit from it.

Steam engine? WTF. In the modern age, why not go for diesel one. It provide more efficiency, and less operational cost.

Coal Power engines? Really?
Are these going to be kind of steam engines.
I think india can offer a lot of them pakistan.
It will help india empty up its parking spaces and would also fetch nation some $$ for selling junks.

We dont have enough engine to provide fulfillment of IR, so I dont think IR like that leasing out engine.

Well we have plenty of spare coal engines which are gone out of services due to modernization and broad guage conversions. We can sell them.

IR has ramped up in engine production capacity and currently what we lack is coaches and not the engines. Although I agree there has been slow development in engine technology.

Steam engine? WTF. In the modern age, why not go for diesel one. It provide more efficiency, and less operational cost.

We dont have enough engine to provide fulfillment of IR, so I dont think IR like that leasing out engine.

Major f*ck up in reporting. The engines are for freight operations to carry coal for coal fired power plants being constructed across the country.

Major f*ck up in reporting. The engines are for fright operations to carry coal for coal fired power plants being constructed across the country.

Oh, rofl, sorry. My bad.

But @Bilal. The news saying differently.

Pakistan Railways had also finalised a plan to purchase another 75 engines with major emphasis on coal-powered engines, said an official of PR while talking to media.
Coal-powered engines of 4500 Horse Power would be more powerful than the existing 3000 HP engines.

I dont know what that means, but if my comprehension is not wrong, then it saying coal-powered which means steam engine.

BTW, leave this, I think the writer is foolish- not know anything about the railway.

Any plans to electrifying the railway, like Lahore Karachi section?

But @Bilal. The news saying differently.

I dont know what that means, but if my comprehension is not wrong, then it saying coal-powered which means steam engine.

BTW, leave this, I think the writer is foolish- not know anything about the railway.

Any plans to electrifying the railway, like Lahore Karachi section?

The writer is a complete moron, he mixed up coal transportation, freight operation and engine procurement and pulled a story out of *** about coal powered engines.

Pakistan railway is preparing to tap into massive coal freight business since a large number of coal fired power plants are coming up:

http://www.pakrail.com/images/eoi/EOI.dot

You can see that there is a requirement for 4000-4500 HP engines for that. Same as reported in the news piece.

For now the plan is to upgrade Karachi-Peshawar line to get the speed up to 150km/h. Hopefully, once all these power plants are up and running the track will be electrified in a later stage.

Last edited:
Previous Pakistan govt requested India for leasing of locomotives But indians Turn down the proposal .....

They didn't turn down any proposal they simply dont have enough to sell or Lease.

ndian Railways is hamstrung by an acute shortage of its own loco fleet. The state-run transporter has 4,214 electric and 6,000 diesel engines in its inventory. Around 500 engines are produced annually by its two public sector manufacturing units but the public transporter is still unable to meet its domestic demand, pegged around 700 locos every year.

This is a purposal watch it.

Well we have plenty of spare coal engines which are gone out of services due to modernization and broad guage conversions. We can sell them.

IR has ramped up in engine production capacity and currently what we lack is coaches and not the engines. Although I agree there has been slow development in engine technology.

What makes you think that Pakistan would be interested in Junk. We have enough of those of our own. Stop trolling mate.

Back
Top Bottom