What's new

Pakistan Could Have Become an Asian Tiger By Now

The World Bank Data doesn't imply that ! :blink:

Thats precisely why there are alternative ways to go about appraising the situation as the UNDP does routinely !

The image is from world bank's website, see the web address.

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTSOUTHASIA/Images/end_poverty_fig3.jpg

end_poverty_fig3.jpg

The image is from world bank's website, see the web address.

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTSOUTHASIA/Images/end_poverty_fig3.jpg

end_poverty_fig3.jpg

Yes I can see but clearly it is incorrect if their main-site has no record of it - Try searching 'Poverty in South Asia' & none of this comes up which means its either an older version that isn't there anymore or it has been superseded by newer data as is evidenced by their 'Data' pages on South Asia & the Poverty Comparative that I gave !

Haq, I do not know how you define and calculate value addition.

However, Indian Punjab has far larger yield per hectare of almost every crop that is also grown in our Punjab.

India is a huge country so I made a comparison where land and weather conditions would be similar.

No Chance of Tiger or Cat even , unless education level are 95% and good education system and jobs in local sector and control on population

This is exactly true.
When Singapore was expelled from Malaysian Union, their Prime minister was crying when he broke the news to people of Sinagapore. But they became resolute to succeed on their own. For years they had mass unemployment and little growth. They started spending a quarter of their budget on education among other things. Now Singapore is said to have more millionaires per capita than any other nation in the world. They still spend 25% of their budget on education

Yes I can see but clearly it is incorrect if their main-site has no record of it - Try searching 'Poverty in South Asia' & none of this comes up which means its either an older version that isn't there anymore or it has been superseded by newer data as is evidenced by their 'Data' pages on South Asia & the Poverty Comparative that I gave !

You are trying to deny a report given by World bank.

You are trying to deny a report given by World bank.

No I'm simply stating that the World Bank figures on the pages titled 'Poverty in South Asia' gives different & latest figures from a web-page from back in '04 that gives 'projections on what going to happen' & a page, that incidentally, doesn't come up in the search function that the World Bank maintains on that same website !

people BPL by district
15z324p.png

only the eastern part of the country has to be taken care of and with the growth rates of over 9% i'm sure with in a couple of years things will improve.

for a better picture
2vn3xo3.jpg

it belongs to 2009

sorry for the map

w7hjx4.png

Last edited:
No I'm simply stating that the World Bank figures on the pages titled 'Poverty in South Asia' gives different & latest figures from a web-page from back in '04 that gives 'projections on what going to happen' & a page, that incidentally, doesn't come up in the search function that the World Bank maintains on that same website !

They hadn't updated it rest of the places.

Apparently the above Graph is incorrect because the following is the 'Data Section' of the World Bank Website churns out : Poverty & Equity Data | South Asia | The World Bank

Nor is Pakistan's Latest head-count anywhere close to 32.1 nor is India's for that matter anywhere close to 26 !
not really..the same page mentions that india is decreasing its poverty rate at 1.5% per annum so the data belongs to 2009 substract 6% from then value 32% so current poverty rate in india is 26%
and by our estimates its 22% in any case with in 5-6 years our poverty levels will drop to less than 10%
Poverty level in India drops to 22%: PlanComm - Hindustan Times

i'm sure of this because most of the sates i've shown in the map above with poverty are growing at a faster pace and minimum among them is 7%
Bihar posts 14.5% growth rate in 2012-13 | Business Standard
Chhattisgarh's growth at 8.57%: Survey | Business Standard
10 percent growth rate in uttar pradesh : latest news, information, pictures, articles
Maharashtra's growth rate stagnant at 7.1% - Hindustan Times
Economic growth rate: Odisha in top three States
http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/madhya-pradesh-registers-13-agriculture-growth-for-2012-13-
113062300654_1.html

News Jharkhand

Last edited:
They hadn't updated it rest of the places.

What part of this looks ambiguous to you that you in addition to some of your compatriots feel the need to revert back to a 'Poverty Projection' from '04 that one can't even find using the search function whilst this is what their 'DataBank' shows : Poverty & Equity Data | South Asia | The World Bank

not really..the same page mentions that india is decreasing its poverty rate at 1.5% per annum so the data belongs to 2009 substract 6% from then value 32% so current poverty rate in india is 26%
and by our estimates its 22% in any case with in 5-6 years our poverty levels will drop to less than 10%
Poverty level in India drops to 22%: PlanComm - Hindustan Times

I do believe the data is from 2010 & it appears to be 36 not 32 !

The point was the the 'Projections' are incorrect nor can I find any mention of them in any of the Country Profiles or South Asia Profiles in their Databank or can I find the same Charts when I use the search button which makes me wonder whether they actually are WB figures or not are they really external projections as their web-address appears to suggest !

Last edited:
What part of this looks ambiguous to you that you in addition to some of your compatriots feel the need to revert back to a 'Poverty Projection' from '04 that one can't even find using the search function whilst this is what their 'DataBank' shows : Poverty & Equity Data | South Asia | The World Bank

I do believe the data is from 2010 & it appears to be 36 not 32 !

Better check this one.

Poverty & Equity Data | Pakistan | The World Bank

Also, world bank don't instantly update that on every page.

I dunno even the UNDP's figures or the figures they've quoted from World Bank appear inclined to support that !

Better check this one.

Poverty & Equity Data | Pakistan | The World Bank

Also, world bank don't instantly update that on every page.

Better check what ?

The fact that the projection was nowhere in line with the figures quoted there ?

As per the last count its 22.3 % in 2006 with an annual decrease that appears to be around 1.3% - One has to be daft to take those two figures in account & still say that somehow decreases of 1.3% p.a over a 5 year period would give a count of 32.1% in 2013 !

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom