What's new

Pakistan Army testing MBT-3000 next moth ?

MBT-3000 will replace our T-69s and T-80UD, maybe even Al-Zarrar in the future.

In other words we are looking at PA with only two types of tanks, both produced in Pakistan.
nop never gone happen pak needs different tanks with different weight classes bcz our terrain is different everywhere

MBT-3000 & Ak are in different weight classes.
mbt 3000 is heavy thn al khalid
while t69 is around 35/36 tons
nd al zarrar + t 80 are 40/40+ tons so we cant put these tanks everywhere so pak may get some extra help fill the gap in front line

I can't wait to see what Al Khalid-II will carry...

Attachments

• 1409355126647.jpg
    1409355126647.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 122
Officials from Pakistan's Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) disclosed new information about the greatly anticipated Al Khalid-Improved (I) main battle tank (MBT) during the recent DSA 2014 exhibition held in Kuala Lumpur.

Brigadier Ghulam Murtaza Qureshi (rtd), HIT's director of budget, marketing and procurement, stated that the development is being fast-tracked and the company plans to showcase the tank during the International Defence Exhibition and Seminar 2014 (IDEAS 2014) in Islamabad in December.

The development of the new MBT began earlier in the decade and Qureshi said it is around 50% complete. Some reports suggested it was being co-developed with China's NORINCO and was a version of China's MBT-3000.

Qureshi claimed this was incorrect and that the Al Khalid-I is an indigenous development of Pakistan's mainstay tank, the Al Khalid, which was jointly developed in the early 1990s with NORINCO (known in China as the MBT-2000) and commissioned in 2001.

The Pakistan Army's Armoured Corps operates about 420 Al Khalid MBTs, along with Al Zarrar (Type 59/59M), Type 69, Type 85 IIAP and T-80UD tanks. The Al Khalid-I will replace approximately 300 Type 85s and 320 T-80s, which are known to operate in semi-desert and desert areas of the country.

The existing Al Khalid is powered by a Ukrainian 6TD-2 power pack developing a maximum power of 1,200 bhp. It also features integrated battle management, auto transmission control, muzzle reference and active threat protection systems.

Qureshi added that the design concept of the Al Khalid-I is primarily based on further refining and improving mobility, firepower and protection. Initially, the design featured around 10 major changes over the Al Khalid hull, but due to rising costs and budgetary constraints, this has been reduced to six.

These include a new 1,500 bhp power pack to improve its power-to-weight ratio and a digital driver manual. The HIT official confirmed that it would retain the 125 mm smoothbore barrel. As of April 2014, trials are under way to finalise the new power pack. These details concur with comments at IDEAS 2012 by a senior official at Pakistan's Ministry of Defence Procurement who told said that an improved version would feature a more powerful diesel power pack, improved command and control and better night-fighting capabilities.

HIT plans to complete trials of the Al Khalid-I with the Pakistani Army by the first quarter of 2015 and based on results, it is hoping to achieve low rate initial production by June 2015. HIT currently has the capability to roll out 20-40 Al Khalid MBTs a year, suggesting it will look to achieve a similar production schedule for the improved version.

Source: Al-Khalid tank (Type 90-IIM / MBT-2000) Information Pool | Page 42

Last edited:

In other words we are looking at PA with only two types of tanks, both produced in Pakistan.

Chinese Type 96 fails to impress in 2014 Tank Biathlon World Championship | Page 4
It's unofficial link first noticed by yours truly .. someone posted this image other thread. imgur: the simple image sharer
Aqb4Gfm

In phot Pak defence attache to China is carrying a letter from GHQ dated May 2014 with pak army interested in buying 300 type99 tanks.. look close... yeah very bad, sloppy information leakage! this deserve a thread .. but it will be closed anyways
looks like pak wants heavy tanks to counter Arjun Mk2s

Comprehension problem ? See for your self , download the pic and zoom and try to read piece of letter your army guy holding
imgur: the simple image sharer

OT: BTW i like your signature

Bad eye sight... what is the piece of letter the Punjab regiment lt col (on an official visit to China) is holding?

I also have NORINCO brochures ..(no biggie)...

@manojb do read what the director of HIT has to say about AKII:

Pakistan Army testing MBT-3000 next moth ? | Page 3

Im sure they wont be chosin type-96 with 16hp/ton over the already 26HP/Ton AK... AK II is another story..

Last edited:
Relax

Testing doesn't mean procurement. Pakistan has also tested ZTZ-99, but we didn't buy them for certain reasons.

Incorporating MBT-3000 technologies in AK will have far reaching effects.

MBT 3000 maybe tested and some systems incorporated in AK-2 but i do not see it ending up being the AK-2. The recent Janes interview and a couple of pics of AK-2 prototype were pretty different from MBT 3000. Ukrainian 6td3 engines were also imported for AK-2 exclusively. The thermal imager in MBT-3000 is vastly inferior to Sagem MAtis equipped on AK-1 currently, and it is uncooled which means it will not perform up to mark in thar desert region.

There is a huge misconception among many minds, AK is vastly different initiative by Pakistani industry over two decades. Inducting MBT 3000 would nullify that initiative.

I am sorry, but H Khan has many errors in his post. ;)

MBT 3000 maybe tested and some systems incorporated in AK-2 but i do not see it ending up being the AK-2. The recent Janes interview and a couple of pics of AK-2 prototype were pretty different from MBT 3000. Ukrainian 6td3 engines were also imported for AK-2 exclusively. The thermal imager in MBT-3000 is vastly inferior to Sagem MAtis equipped on AK-1 currently, and it is uncooled which means it will not perform up to mark in thar desert region.

There is a huge misconception among many minds, AK is vastly different initiative by Pakistani industry over two decades. Inducting MBT 3000 would nullify that initiative.

I am sorry, but H Khan has many errors in his post. ;)

Did u say pics of Ak 2? I thought no one knew how it looked like yet?

Didnt the HIT official menhtion T-80ud would be replaced by Alkhalid-2? Also, the UD is here to stay for foreseeable future as a very effective weapon system with proper upgrades in many areas.

Back
Top Bottom