Pakistan Air Force — new challenges

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Air Marshal Ayaz A Khan (R)

Indian Air Force attack air craft have been deployed at Jammu, Udhampur, Avantipur in the Kashmir Valley and at Leh airfield in Laddakh, since long to subdue the Kashmiri’s and crush their struggle for democracy. In the 1999 Kargil war PAF did not confront the IAF, because President Musharraf feared escalation of the conflict into full-scale war. But the lesson of Kargil was that Pakistan needs a strong Air Force.

Going by numbers the Indian Air Force (IAF) is big. It has 1200 aircraft; 750 of which are combat aircraft. But the IAF also suffers the biggest number of air and ground accidents per year. It suffers the biggest numbers of pilot casualties annually. After the death of 200 IAF fighter pilots in MiG-21 crashes, the Mig-21 became infamous as “the flying coffin”. IAF top brass is to be blamed, because under training pilots were pushed directly from basic piston engine trainers straight into supersonic Mig-21’s for fighter training. This was too big a jump, resulting in high U/T pilot casualties.

Another 200 fighter aircraft including Mirage 2000s, Jaguars, MiG-29s, MiG-27s, MiG-25s and MiG-23s have been lost in air crashes and ground accidents. During the last two decades; the total tally of crashed aircraft being 500, and dead pilots 350, the IAF is a big peacetime loser of combat aircraft and pilots. Such losses had a telling effect on IAF’s fighting capability, the combat efficiency and morale of its combat crews. So the IAF had telling weaknesses as well.But IAF has procured 66 Su-30 MK-1 multirole fighter aircraft of advanced technology and high lethality from Moscow. The order was placed for 144 Su-30 MK-I’s by Indian Defence Minister George Fernandes on September 27, 1996. He had boasted that, “India will soon rank among big air powers”. This statement was made during the induction ceremony of the first batch of ten Su-30MKI multi-role jet fighters in No 20 Lightning Squadron at IAF’s Lohegaon Air Base. No 24 Hunting Hawks Squadron equipped with the earlier version of the Sukhoi Mk-30 fighters is also based there. Recently the IAF has deployed ten Su-30 MK-I fighters at Avantipura airfield near Srinager.

The supply of 144 Su-30MK-I’s tailor made for the IAF will greatly enhance IAF’s air combat and ground attack capability. Added to these are the 60 Mirage 2000-H fighters (of Kargil fame) equipped with advanced laser-guided bombs and BVR air-to-air missiles. The IAF will have a distinct edge in advanced air weaponry over the PAF, as and when the IAF procures all the Su-30MKIs, Mirages and new Mig-29’s on order.At the Sukhoi induction ceremony defence minister George Fernandes, pointing his finger at Pakistan, had said that, “The Sukhoi 30 MKI is aimed at silencing those nations who look at us with “buri nazar,” (evil intention).The IAF Su-30 MKI is fitted with superior electronics and avionics. It has thrust vectoring (directional control) capabilities, and is fitted with canards. With such improvements the MKI has amazing air combat maneuverability. It can take off with much higher bomb loads, and has a range of 3000 kilometers. It can go deep into China and Pakistan with a full load of conventional and nuclear weapons.

Indian Air Chief, Air Chief Marshal S. Krishnaswamy had stated at the induction ceremony that, “With its ability to engage several targets simultaneously the Sukhoi -30 MKI will redefine the very method of air combat.” In a joint exercise with the US Air Force over Occupied Kashmir, these Indian Air Force fighters proved superior to the F-15 air superiority fighters of US Air Force. Besides twin-engine power and safety the MKI is equipped with stealth technology, enabling it to evade radar detection. Indian defense analysts claim that the MKI can outclass China’s Su- 23 MKK and USAF F-22 and F-15 fighters. The elected government of Pakistan and the PAF must take full cognizance of the induction of 144 Su-30 MK-I aircraft in the IAF, and consequently the enhanced air threat from India. IAF has received 10 new Mirage 2000 H fighters from France and 37 rebuilt Jaguar strike fighters from HAL at Bangalore. But India’s Light Combat Air craft – the LCA under development since 1978 has yet to enter operational service. After 24 air tests, major modifications, the IAF remained highly critical of the LCA, but will be forced to buy up to 400 of these controversial fighters. The LCA will replace the MiG-21 as the IAF’s workhorse. The IAF fighter pilots did not trust Indian manufactured MiG-21s which earned such nicknames as “flying coffins”, “pilot killers”, “widow makers”; and are already distrustful of home made LCA fighters.

Pilot training has been a big problem. IAF pilots were forced into MiG-21 cockpits directly from basic piston engine trainers. The result was high wastage of pilots during operational training. British Hawk advanced jet trainer has now been inducted. It should have been inducted three decades back. It would have saved hundreds of precious lives.. Despite US foot dragging on the supply of F-16 fighters, and numerical disparity, the PAF has proved to be a credible deterrent against Indian air power. This was possible due to the high state of preparedness, readiness and robust morale of the force at all levels. The skillful management of operational assets, exemplary leadership and expertise has enabled the PAF to deter the enemy from any misadventure. The PAF is totally committed to the defense of Pakistan. The government however must realize that the PAF must have matching technology, and numerical balance with the adversary air force, in the entire range of weaponry.

The joint production JF-17 Thunders, procurement of JF-10 air superiority fighters from China, and additional F-16 fighters- should correct the air power imbalance to some extent. These new combat and strike aircraft are urgently needed for ground attack and close support operations against the terrorists, who hiding in the hills and mountains of Tribal Agencies are mounting deadly suicide bombings on Pakistani cities, cantonments and military posts.

The assassination of Benazir Bhutto and the deadly bombing of Marriot hotel in Islamabad, demands enhanced used of air power to root out terrorists and terrorism from Pakistan’s soil.The PAF has been engaged in anti-terrorist operations since several months. Army –air close support operations in the rugged and mountainous areas of Swat and Bajaur have been successful and the terrorists are on the run. Air operations must be sustained till terrorists feel compelled to surrender.

A new dangerous factor is Pakistan’s war against terrorists is United States violation of Pakistani air space by drones, gunship helicopters and fighter aircraft. Predator and Rapaer drones have been violating Pakistan’s air space, bombings tribal villages and killing Pakistani citizens since 2006. They have killed hundreds of Pakistani citizens including women and children. Washington is disregarding warnings by Pakistani President, Prime Minister, Army Chief and protests by Pakistani public. Pakistani blood cannot be allowed to be shed wantonly. Violation of Pakistani territorial sovereignty must be challenged. Pakistan Air Force must be prepared to shoot down American drones, gunship helicopters and engage USAF fighter aircraft attacking and bombings Pakistani tribal villages. We must not act as frightened crows, when outsiders continue to kill our elders, brothers, sisters and children. Pakistan Air Force must defend Pakistan’s air space. PAF’s tradition is that it will rise to great heights to defend Pakistan.

http://www.pakobserver.net.pk

Indian defense analysts claim that the MKI can outclass China’s Su- 23 MKK and USAF F-22 and F-15 fighters.

I have a hard time believing it actually. So the MKI can out match the F-22. Interesting.:disagree: There was also news about the F-15 being handicapped in this so called joint exercise.
Also last time i check China had SU-27 and SU-30MKK and MK2 and not SU-23.
It seems Indian defence analysts are way out of league in their judgement.

I have a hard time believing it actually. So the MKI can out match the F-22. Interesting.:disagree: There was also news about the F-15 being handicapped in this so called joint exercise.

could be a newspaper typo. on the comp with F-22, i would certainly question that.

Indian defense analysts claim that the MKI can outclass China’s Su- 23 MKK and USAF F-22 and F-15 fighters.

No way , Su 30 can out class F-22 Raptor Even Mig 1.44 flatpack will not be able to do that

Last edited:
Its a good article with a good message, but the data is flawed.

Air Marshal Ayaz A Khan (R)

Going by numbers the Indian Air Force (IAF) is big. It has 1200 aircraft; 750 of which are combat aircraft. But the IAF also suffers the biggest number of air and ground accidents per year. It suffers the biggest numbers of pilot casualties annually. After the death of 200 IAF fighter pilots in MiG-21 crashes, the Mig-21 became infamous as “the flying coffin”. IAF top brass is to be blamed, because under training pilots were pushed directly from basic piston engine trainers straight into supersonic Mig-21’s for fighter training. This was too big a jump, resulting in high U/T pilot casualties.

Another 200 fighter aircraft including Mirage 2000s, Jaguars, MiG-29s, MiG-27s, MiG-25s and MiG-23s have been lost in air crashes and ground accidents. During the last two decades; the total tally of crashed aircraft being 500, and dead pilots 350, the IAF is a big peacetime loser of combat aircraft and pilots. Such losses had a telling effect on IAF’s fighting capability, the combat efficiency and morale of its combat crews. So the IAF had telling weaknesses as well.

The figures are exaggerated. Here's a site that records and reports IAF crashes as they occur.

Warbirds of India - [ Air Crash Listings of the Indian Air Force ]

According to them, India has lost:

Aircraft Type Total Recorded
MiG-21 315 163(13)
MiG-23 23 (3)
MiG-25 04 02
MiG-27 21
MiG-29 07(1) 05 (0)
Jaguar 23(1) 23 (1)
Mirage 2000 03 03

The figures in the brackets give a possible margin of error. I think the totals are missing for MiG-23 and MiG-27 coz the total figure is same as recorded figure. The record shows all losses since the induction of the aircraft type. The figure are as of 2003.

Besides twin-engine power and safety the MKI is equipped with stealth technology, enabling it to evade radar detection. Indian defense analysts claim that the MKI can outclass China’s Su- 23 MKK and USAF F-22 and F-15 fighters.

MKI is not a stealth aircraft. It has composite materials to reduce its radar cross section. It sradar signature is lower than those of planes of similar size, but doesnt mean its stealthy. just looking at its design can tell anyone that the plane is not designed to evade radars.

Also, any defense analyst who claims MKI can beat F-22 ought to be fired. MKI is a great bird, probably capable of beating any aircraft in Asia in air to air, but it cant match up to a stealthy F-22.

Also, China doesnt operate Su-23. I think the author meant Su-30MKK.

Last edited:
The joint production JF-17 Thunders, procurement of JF-10 air superiority fighters from China, and additional F-16 fighters- should correct the air power imbalance to some extent.

Sure they will add a great deal to PAF but Pakistan needs to do more, PAF must acquire J-11 and Pakistan should also co-operate with China on JXX 5th generation Fighter jet. They will be able to Match IAF technologically but still our main Weapons are Iman, Taqwa and jihad, Pakistani Military is not Run by Weapons only its the passion, Sense of duty, Patriotism, Self sacrifice and Bravery that make Pakistani Military Stand Apart from others.

Its Not the gun that Matters its The man Behind the Gun That matters

I am for that metal falcon i do agree we need the j-11 now and work with China towards a 5th generation fighter !!

Its a good article with a good message, but the data is flawed.

The figures are exaggerated. Here's a site that records and reports IAF crashes as they occur.

Warbirds of India - [ Air Crash Listings of the Indian Air Force ]

According to them, India has lost:

Aircraft Type Total Recorded
MiG-21 315 163(13)
MiG-23 23 (3)
MiG-25 04 02
MiG-27 21
MiG-29 07(1) 05 (0)
Jaguar 23(1) 23 (1)
Mirage 2000 03 03

The figures in the brackets give a possible margin of error. I think the totals are missing for MiG-23 and MiG-27 coz the total figure is same as recorded figure. The record shows all losses since the induction of the aircraft type. The figure are as of 2003.

:rofl::rofl: have a look at the source lol.. its exaggerated in other way of hiding the facts.

thats 8 crashes
f6036fd350aa60530d4b5d350f1040f4.jpg

lol... again... 9 crashes plus 2 lost to hanger collapes = 11... the source is ejection-history so other accidents which did not involve ejections are not listed..
c187f21a958f82b5d0e8962c31999e99.jpg

so do you also want me to list real figures of mig-27 mig-21 and other jet trainers.?

I am for that metal falcon i do agree we need the j-11 now and work with China towards a 5th generation fighter !!

Thanx buddy . I think its time to start our own project as well we have our infrastructure raised at PAC kamra and We have the technology as well to start with. We should work with Chinese and develop a very good jet Fighter SOON.

Remember That it was a just a small project called super 7 but due to the contribution of PAF aeronautical Engineers the whole designed changed and even the name of the Program Changed and What we got was JF-17 THUNDER.

I heard Pakistan is also working with china on AWACs as well.

:pakistan::china: PAKISTAN CHINA FRIENDSHIP FOR EVER

The biggest challenge for PAF is to make sure that a broke government does not stop its modernization. I wish them luck but know so from the past that PAF is helpless when the push comes to shove about funding.

The biggest challenge for PAF is to make sure that a broke government does not stop its modernization. I wish them luck but know so from the past that PAF is helpless when the push comes to shove about funding.

its already started with the diversion of funds from the F-16 upgrade program thus the controversey over CT funds being used for the upgrades and delays in the cobra and orion upgrade programs.

No offense mate, You are one of the respectable and responsible member of this forum, you should be very focused in judging a particuler pieace of new. I am not trying to teach you anything rather giving a suggestion. Above article that has posted above is completely punctuated by lack of general thinking and rationality which is clearly demonstrated by authors quoating of LCA's induction is going on since 1978. On the face of it, he hasn't given name of any Indian author who are claiming MKI as comparable to F-22, comparison with F-15 is understandable.

Another gruesome point is that, author is saying that MKI has been deployed in Kashmir to crush democracy, just tell me how on earth one need to take an offensive measures against defenseless kashmiris with such advance machine. Are really Kashmiris are armed with fighter jets, SAM's or Tanks or anyother armoured vehilcles in their quest for Democracy which is driving IAF to deploy MKI?

Regarding Air crashes, it is world wide knowledge that IAF's jet were once prone to frequent aircrashes but that's because of faulty spare parts that they required to purchase from Soviet's, I am not denying that some operational or human errors also played an important role in those crashes, but massive reasons for those crashes were nothing but faulty spare parts. If author had even slightest dignity for IAF then he must have acknowledge reduction in number of crashes in past few years.

From above article, it is completely clear that, author just seems to be engaged in saber rattling rather then providing any solution for PAF to counter IAF's emergance.

Under the dark shadow of ASIF(ghadari), may be a time comes when , PAF would be thinking to give up all, and just become a signature figure only at 23rd march.:angry::agree:

Under the dark shadow of ASIF(ghadari), may be a time comes when , PAF would be thinking to give up all, and just become a signature figure only at 23rd march.:angry::agree:

Atleast, as long as he is there and try to maintain a peaceful harmony between both the nations till then I don't think IAF and PAF will required to face each other. Bye now I am signing off.

I am fearing the same thing. ASIF(ghadari) made a deal with France for Mirages and Took commission (Because he is Mr 10 %) and PAF was stuck with the Mirages as they grew Older and France was reluctant to provide the Latest versions and PAF ran out of Finances as well and on the other hand FRANCE gave Mirage 2000 To India.

I fear he will cut the funding for PAF and take all the money to his SWISS ACCOUNTS or he will make us buy CRAP and he will take commission from that Deal as he has done before.

I hope he does no harm to our relations with China.

Back
Top Bottom