What's new

Pak wins 1 gold & 1 bronze in Bali Asian Beach Games wrestling

dr.umer

Reaction score

BALI, Oct 24 (APP)- Pakistani wrestlers exhibited fine performance to win one gold and one bronze in Bali Asian Beach Games wrestling competition, ending a decade long medal drought at Asia level here on Friday Beach wrestling arena.

Pakistan earned the gold through Ghulam Haider in the 65kgs and Usman Majeed claimed a bronze in 85kg and the success has revived the hopes for the revival of the game back home where still there is a big interest in youth to play wrestling specially traditional style of the game. Pakistan last medal victory in a Asian competition was way back in mid 90’s.

Haider scooped the gold defeating hosts Pahmi Ginawan Pami on points. In beach wrestling if a wrestler gets two successive points he is declared winner. Haider anticipated prowess and agility to get hold of his opponent who failed to sustain the pressure and appeared jaded.

On his way to the gold Haider fought three back to back bouts in hot and humid conditions as bright sun shine made the sand sizzling and it was hard to stand on such surface.

In the semi finals bout, Haider beat Japan’s Kota Horaguchi and in the quarter finals overpowered Afghanistan’s strong Mohammad Akram Rahimi before starting the event with a bye.

“It was a challenging task to play successive bouts but I had just one thought in my mind to win and I always started every bout to maintain early supremacy and I think it was the main reason behind my success”,said Haider while talking to APP after the bout.

“ It was not easy to fight on uneven soft surface because it was hard to maintain balance on sand but I remained focussed in all the bouts which I fought and gained productive results “,he asserted.

Usman fetched the bronze defeating Japan’s Takayuki Mizuguchi before losing the semi final bout to South Korean Jehyoun Noh and the loss deprived Pakistan for a possible silver medal. Afghanistan’s Azim Zada won the gold beating South Korean Noh Jehyoun in the final.

Usman struck brilliance and force starting the event with a hard earned win over Kazakhstan’s Daniyar Kobonov before beating Phillpines Jason Balabal.

After being spending much force in the two initial round bouts Usman could not preserve much energy and stamina for his semi final bout as the Korean wrestlers was quick enough to counter his attacks and then to apply forceful grips which yielded points for him.

“ It was very difficult to play that many bouts in a day , a bout is a bout, no matter how short its format or duration is , but I did my best and winning a bronze is a satisfaction and achievement for me and I am thankgul to Allah mighty”,he said.

Secretary, Pakistan Wrestling Federation, Chaudhary Muhammad Asghar said the success is the result of months long training and efforts of the wrestlers for the event.

“ The success has opened a new era in wrestling in Pakistan”,he said adding

“ President, PWF,Syed Aqil Shah has also congratulated the wrestlers and urged the remaining two members Muhammad Ali (75kgs) and Muhammad Tahseen (over 85kgs) to follow the performance of their colleagues to attain glory”.Both of them will be playing their bouts tomorrow, Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom