What's new

Pak SC Orders Corruption Probe Against PM Nawaz Sharif

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
In a jolt to Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, the Supreme Court today ordered a probe into the Panama Papers scandal involving corruption allegations against the family of the beleaguered premier.

The Supreme Court heard several identical petitions by Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) chief Imran Khan and others to investigate charges of corruption against Sharif and his relatives after the Panama Papers released earlier this year showed his family owning offshore companies and assets.

The larger five-member bench headed by Chief Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali and comprising Justice Asif Saeed Khan Khosa, Justice Amir Hani Muslim, Justice Sheikh Azmat Saeed and Justice Ijazul Ahsan conducted the hearing in presence of several cabinet ministers, lawyers of petitioners, senior PTI leaders and media.

The apex court said it was ready to appoint a probe commission headed by a judge and armed with powers of the Supreme Court.

The court also ordered the government and petitioners to present their Terms of Reference (ToR) for the probe panel.

It court will decide to harmonise the ToR if the parties could not come up with the agreed set of ToR.

Before its adjournment till Thursday, the court also expressed willingness to hold hearings on a daily basis.

However, the court did not ban the protest by PTI tomorrow in Islamabad. But it advised the government and opposition to show restraint.

Reacting to the court's ruling, PTI chief Khan said the planned anti-government rally will now be marked as a day of thanksgiving in Islamabad.

Addressing a press conference outside Bani Gala, Khan thanked those who were part of his struggle against corruption.

"Go home and rest," Khan told supporters, "You have to return to Islamabad tomorrow to celebrate thanksgiving at Parade Ground."

"I am elated that the investigation into Nawaz Sharif's (alleged corruption) will begin day after tomorrow."

PTI had announced the rally in Islamabad to force Sharif to resign for a fair probe into the scandal. According to the Panama Papers, three of Sharif's four children - Maryam, Hasan and Hussain were owners of offshore companies and "were owners or had the right to authorise transactions for several companies."

Sharif and his family have dismissed the allegations of money laundering and denied any wrongdoing but the opposition is demanding an independent probe.

Meanwhile, the government has taken elaborate measures to foil the protest and any effort to lockdown the capital as PTI chief Khan has threatened in several speeches.

All entry points to the capital are being monitored and scores of PTI workers have been arrested.

Last night a major rally led by chief minister of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa was teargassed and forced to return.

The PTI is in power in KP and hopes for a major influx of youth from the province to boost the strength of the protest.

In Punjab, which is controlled by Sharif's ruling PML-N, hundreds of PTI workers have been arrested.

Official sources said close to 2,000 people were arrested to maintain law and order. But PTI claims that thousands of its workers were arrested.

The party has also urged the court to take suo moto action against arrests by the government.

That is how it should be. No one to threaten the capital, no one to instigate provincial disharmony, and no one to loot and plunder with impunity

I hope justice is served.
dont worry dear
the House of Sherifs will rule us till the end of time or demise of this state..
whatever comes first

dont worry dear
the House of Sherifs will rule us till the end of time or demise of this state..
whatever comes first
Unfortunately, yes. So long as the BEST leader we have is Imran Khan. The most unlucky nation on earth!!!

The best we have lacks the wisdom to see what to prioritize. If only he had succeeded in bringing about changes to ECP (which were totally on cards during previous dharna and Army could have been made a guarantor) but alas he refused to budge from his stance of removing NS as well. What happened? NS stayed in power and nothing happened. All the effort got wasted.
The dhaandli card lost its luster and Panama seemed shiny enough to IK to hang on to. He called for lock-down, degraded to Dharna, which now is degraded to Jalsa. I do not question the wisdom behind all this and in all honesty hope that SC will dish out justice and NS or whoever is involved is put behind the bars. But what will happen now? I think Govt will succeed in lingering it on till the time of next elections. And we all will be faced with the same system over again to face!

Round 2 of Dhaandli and some other leaks will ensue

PS: I think the biggest disappointment in all the efforts of IK was his inability to see when the iron was red hot for the strike. Had he brought about changes in ECP he would have done a favor to generations (electronic voting or whatever is available out there in the field)

Let's hope justice is served and we get rid of this corrupt mafia family...But personally, I don't have much hopes from this judiciary..
Ireland P.M resigned , one other gone after panama leaks. Nawaz need to go, PMLN is big party, and there are many candidates, they can choose from it.
Let see, what how court proceed the case.

I see this as a drama played by ganja league & corrupt judges. Max. what will happen? Ganja will be sent home, but still ganaja league will stay in power.

The fact of the matter is Pakistan will never be freed from the shackles of corruption & treacherous DEMOCRAZY.

I see this as a drama played by ganja league & corrupt judges. Max. what will happen? Ganja will be sent home, but still ganaja league will stay in power.

The fact of the matter is Pakistan will never be freed from the shackles of corruption & treacherous DEMOCRAZY.

I am not sure.

If this was a High Court, i would agree with you but Supreme Court is a different beast. Our lower judiciary is corrupt and rotten to the core, but Supreme Court like our General Staff is a well disciplined institution. All of the Judges sitting in Supreme Court are men of merit, and not a single complaint of corruption against them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom