HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan Eyes Boost in Transport, Lift
By USMAN ANSARI
Published: 3 November 2008 Print | Email

ISLAMABAD - Pakistan has sought to improve its air mobility capability as international commitments and domestic operations have grown. To date, this has mainly consisted of ex-Australian C-130E Hercules transports. However, beginning next year, programs to renew and expand current abilities should begin to come to fruition.

The most high-profile aspect of Pakistan's air mobility modernization is the Pakistan Air Force Multi-Role Tanker Transport (MRTT) program. Four Il-78 Midas aircraft from the Ukraine, equipped with a three-point drogue refueling system, will introduce this capability.

Though an Air Force spokesman could not verify the exact variant on order, he did confirm it was the tanker/transport and not the pure tanker version of the Midas.

Its 22,000-kilogram cargo capacity will bring considerable airlift capabilities, akin to the highly versatile Il-76 Candid, on which the Midas is based. The first aircraft is due to arrive early next year, he said.

The Air Force also is exploring the acquisition of tanker/transport aircraft from other sources. One reason is that the Il-78 is not equipped with a boom refueling facility, and therefore is unable to refuel the Air Force's most potent combat aircraft, the F-16. To rectify this, the Air Force is exploring the possibility of acquiring surplus U.S. KC-135 Stratotankers.

During an appearance before the U.S. House of Representatives Foreign Affairs subcommittee on South Asia on Sept. 16, Donald Camp, principal deputy assistant secretary for South Asian affairs, stated that the United States is "finalizing a comprehensive training plan" to help Pakistan with its F-16 operations, including aerial refueling.

No clarification from American military sources, however, was forthcoming on whether this would also include surplus Stratotankers.

According to defense analyst Haris Khan of the Web-based think tank Pakistan Military Consortium, Pakistan has also examined alternatives to the KC-135. European defense group EADS "has been talking to [the Air Force] to supply Airbus A330 MRTTs. However, the [Air Force] has been insisting on an MRTT capability built on an A310, which is no longer in production."

The reason for insistence on the A310 is Pakistan International Airline's long experience with the A310-300, he said. There may therefore be a more attractive long-term option to the KC-135.

Improvements in air mobility are not restricted to MRTTs. Pakistan is also establishing an airborne division. The Army has long sought to improve its air mobility, which has traditionally been a weak spot. The Army needs to support operations in the Siachen Glacier and Kashmir theaters of operations, in the ongoing standoff with archrival India; against al-Qaida and the Taliban on the Pakistan-Afghanistan frontier; and right down to the coastal areas.

The commitment on "the Frontier" in itself has pushed the Army to invest heavily in helicopters due to the difficult terrain. Recent acquisitions have included 24 Bell-412EPs, 10 AS 550 Fennecs, 35-plus Mi-17 Hips and several UH-1 Huey transport and utility helicopters.
As Khan stated, however, the Army is still looking to buy more Mi-17s, plus Mi-35 Hinds, CH-47 Chinooks and one dedicated version of a gunship helicopter, to establish an airborne division.
In connection with this, Pakistan is seeking further transport/utility types from America. According to Col. Robin Fontes, chief of the Security Assistance Office, Office of the Defense Representative at the American Embassy here, the U.S. military will shortly confer with the Pakistan Army to determine its "current and future aviation requirements. Once those requirements are defined, we will be able to recommend the most appropriate model(s) of transport/utility helicopters that meet the needs of the Pakistan Army."

The question of acquiring Chinooks is another long, drawn-out saga, as Pakistan had initially hoped to establish a heavy-lift capability through their acquisition in 1989. U.S. military sanctions in 1990, however, ended these efforts. Not only do these serve as vital force multipliers when it comes to air mobility, but also in disaster relief.

The absence of a heavy-lift capability was sorely felt in the relief operations following the earthquake that rocked the country in October 2005. U.S. Navy CH-53E Super Stallions and U.S. and British Chinooks instead did a sterling job in providing heavy-lift assistance under the wistful gaze of Pakistan's own rotary aviators.

Now, according to Khan, six stored CH-47Cs have recently been released for sale to Pakistan by Italy. It is uncertain if they will be purchased, but they currently represent Pakistan's best option of acquiring a heavy-lift capability

Good news i sure hope we get the kc-135 for or f-16's get the chinooks for the army heavy relift from Italy and get more mi-17's or other options to fill the gap in emergency's and war GOD bless PAKISTAN.

After speaking to a certain person very close to the PM Gilani, IMO it appears highly unlikely that we would have money to spend on military hardware at least for the next 2-3 years.

Pakistan is having difficulty paying for her energy needs. Unless Saudi Arabia agrees to defer the oil payments, we may not have enough to pay for the bare minimum energy and food import requirements and IMF would never lend us enough money so that we can spare other funds to buy arms. Sad but true!

About bloody time, I've been thinking about the need for an airborne division for years! Even the Indians have one, I can't wait to see what these boys will be equiped with...personally I'm betting its the 5.56mm G-41 or what ever the Pakistan version is called. This force will be vital in our WoT, I can tell you that. I just hope I'm not being too optimistic.

Is Pakistan seriously considering Mi-35. Have RFPs been given???

My wishlist brain section has just gone into overdrive with this news.

I would go for systems that have maximum commonality in avionics and engine components.

After speaking to a certain person very close to the PM Gilani, IMO it appears highly unlikely that we would have money to spend on military hardware at least for the next 2-3 years.

Pakistan is having difficulty paying for her energy needs. Unless Saudi Arabia agrees to defer the oil payments, we may not have enough to pay for the bare minimum energy and food import requirements and IMF would never lend us enough money so that we can spare other funds to buy arms. Sad but true!

I agree. Its not happening if IMF is involved. Italy will want the money upfront.

Regards

I think Chinook will come through Non-Nato inventory. Paid through US defence aid.

Most of the equipment sought is for war on terror therefore I am sure US funding would be sought by Pakistan. Especially air mobility units for army should be funded by the US.

The price of oil is falling therefore future energy bills shall not be as huge as previous were. Hopefully we will have some space for defense purchases. Regarding oil payments Iran has also been approached and signals are positive that they might provide oil on deferred payment mode.

One correction to this thread/article. The Army is not looking to raise a new "Airborne" division in the true sense of "airborne", rather an "air assault" capability (the exact size could be between a brigade to a division depending on resources and funding - I am sure the Army would love to have an air assault division on the pattern of US 101 Div (Air Assault). The "Airborne" (para) capability is already in the process of expansion with the addition of 2 additional brigades in the SSG and upgrading of the command to divisional level.

The "Air Assault" component requires massive funding because of the expensive transport assets (all rotary).

I agree. Its not happening if IMF is involved. Italy will want the money upfront.

Regards

Again its not as black and white as its being made out to be. The US FMF (Foreign Military Funding) could be made available to acquire the Italian Chinooks. Also EDA facility could be used for surplus US airframes. These transactions are purely US DoD - Pakistan. Nothing to do with the IMF.

Last edited:
About bloody time, I've been thinking about the need for an airborne division for years! Even the Indians have one, I can't wait to see what these boys will be equiped with...personally I'm betting its the 5.56mm G-41 or what ever the Pakistan version is called. This force will be vital in our WoT, I can tell you that. I just hope I'm not being too optimistic.

If the funding is right, then these folks would be equipped with what is available to the SOTF. As far as I know, the entire Air Assault capability will be built around the SOTF as its core since the SOTF is already an established Air Assault unit. They use M-4s, AUGs, and T-56s (AK-47s). So not sure about the G-41s etc., (not ruling it out but unlikely in my opinion). ;)

One correction to this thread/article. The Army is not looking to raise a new "Airborne" division in the true sense of "airborne", rather an "air assault" capability (the exact size could be between a brigade to a division depending on resources and funding - I am sure the Army would love to have an air assault division on the pattern of US 101 Div (Air Assault). The "Airborne" (para) capability is already in the process of expansion with the addition of 2 additional brigades in the SSG and upgrading of the command to divisional level.

The "Air Assault" component requires massive funding because of the expensive transport assets (all rotary).[/QUOTE]

air-borne or air-assault. pretty expensive propositions.
can someone (blain2) expound on the requirement of different types of helicopters required to move a single battalion/regiment.

utility/light transport
armed
medium/heavy lift

once this is clarified, will we find out the total requirement for a brigade / division.!

If the funding is right, then these folks would be equipped with what is available to the SOTF. As far as I know, the entire Air Assault capability will be built around the SOTF as its core since the SOTF is already an established Air Assault unit. They use M-4s, AUGs, and T-56s (AK-47s). So not sure about the G-41s etc., (not ruling it out but unlikely in my opinion). ;)

I see, but I'm a little confused...this new division will operate with the SSG as its core but most of the air-assualt troopers wont be from the SSG?

I personally dont feel that the SSG should be turned into a half Green Beret/half 101 Air Assualt force. I think we should have dedicated rapid delpoyment forces using helicopters and all...but our behind enemy lines Commando units should be seperately organized. SSG should not be used as assault troopers, for that we need more bulky and heavily armed airborne forces. If you mix them you will dilute both the concepts...but thats just my take.:undecided:

Back
Top Bottom