What's new

Our Heroes need their identity back - Pakistan Army

Maj Shah Nawaz Shaheed
Sitara E Jurat
8 Baloch Regt
1965 War

Major Shah Nawaz SJ, of 8 Baloch Regiment was a part of the force which launched a counter offensive across the Cease-fire line against Chamb, Jourian and Akhnoor. The infantry battalion, 8 Baloch was being commanded by Lt. Col. Siddique and was a part of 102 Infantry Brigade commanded by Brigadier Zafar Ali Khan.

The 102 Brigade was tasked in the phase 1, to capture area west of River Tawi in the Chamb sector, including villages of Mandiala,Ullan Wali, Pir Jamal, Moel, Paur and Burjeal etc.

The Brigade was supported by 11 Cavalry, a tank regiment. The Pakistani attack commenced at 0500 hours 1st September 1965 supported by a terrific pre-H-Hour artillery bombardment which had commenced belching fire at 0330 hours.

Shahnawaz, having the task of capturing villages Moel and Paur, commenced its lightening attack against its objectives and was met with a stiff resistance from well dug in enemy infantry, Recoilless Rifles and tanks. Bitter fighting ensued and by 0900 hours the enemy resistance
at Moel was eliminated and 20 prisoners were sent back to the Regimental HQ.

Major Shahnawaz then commenced advance south towards the village of Paur where enemy light tanks were dug in position. Support of 11 Cavalry was called in to deal with the enemy AMX-13 tanks which were effectively dealt after taking a few losses. Major Raza Shah Shaheed Sitara E Jurat of 11 Cavalry took part in this particular action, enabling the company of Major Shahnawaz to proceed towards its objective.

Once in the outskirts of Paur, bitter fighting again errupted with heavy losses on both sides. In the heat of the battle, Major Shahnawaz leading his company was hit by a burst from machine gun fire and embraced shahadat. Soon after his company was succesful in finishing the enemy resistance and capturing Paur.

Major Shahnawaz was awarded Sitara E Jurat in recognition of his gallantry services. He had received commission in February 1951 through 3 PMA Long Course.


Sep 3, 2023
IMA-PMA Course At Kakul, Abbottabad, 1948 (c).



Sep 26, 2023

Remembering Major Muneeb Afzal 128L/C ex 26Avn, Major Khurram Shahzad 111L/C ex 26Avn, Naik Jalil, Subedar Abdul Wahid, Sepoy Muhamad Imran and Sepoy Shoaib on their first Shahadat Anniversary!

On September 26, 2022, a Pakistan Army Bell 412EP helicopter crashed during a mission in the vicinity of Khost, Harnai, Balochistan. Tragically, all six personnel aboard, which included two pilots valiantly sacrificed their lives in the line of duty.
*Details of Shuhada*

1. *Major Khurram Shahzad*
Age 39 years, resident of Attock, married, one daughter

2. *Major Muhammad Muneeb Afzal*
Age 30 years, resident of Rawalpindi, married, two sons

3. *Sub Abdul Wahid*
Age 44 years . Resident of Village Sabir Abad, Karak.
Married , 4 children including 3 sons and a daughter

4 *Sep Muhammad Imran*
Age 27 years , Resident of Makhdoompur, Khanewal . Married . Two daughters and a son

5. *Nk Jalil-Crew*
Age 30 yrs , Resident of Vil Bhutta, Lohara, Teh Kharian, Distt Gujrat , Married , Two sons
6. *Sep Shoaib*
Age 35 yrs , Resident of Vil Khatarphatti PO Syeeda Teh Jhand, Distt Attock , Married, One Son.
Remember Captain Abdullah Zafar Shaheed 136L/C ex 44Cav on his Shahadat Anniversary!


On September 27, 2020, an intelligence tip was received regarding armed terrorists within the Regiment’s area of responsibility, near Upper Sholam, Shakkal.

Upon learning of the situation, reaction force, the party set out for the target location. They received assistance from a local source or informant along the way. Captain Abdullah Zafar Shaheed, along with his team, reached the target location and established a cordon. An exchange of fire ensued between the soldiers and the terrorists.

Under the capable leadership of Captain Abdullah Zafar Shaheed, the terrorists encountered a quick reaction force they could not withstand, and they attempted to flee into a nullah. In an effort to intercept their escape, Captain Abdullah Zafar Shaheed rushed towards the fleeing terrorists.

During this pursuit, two terrorists were injured, and tragically, Captain Abdullah Zafar Shaheed sustained a gunshot wound to the head. He was immediately evacuated to the South Waziristan Scouts Hospital in Wana, where he embraced martyrdom on September 28, 2020.
Remembering Captain Sikandar Sohail Latif Shaheed 134L/C ex 27AK on his shahadat Anniversary!


On September 29, 2021, Captain Sikandar Sohail Latif, 134L/C, ex 27AK, was martyred during an Intelligence-Based Operation in District Tank. Captain Sikandar was tasked to conduct an IBO. During the operation, the officer received a bullet in his head and unfortunately succumbed to his injuries and embraced martyrdom.

He was posthumously awarded the Tamgha-e-Basalat.

March 27, 1971

Tangail: East Pakistan

"If you take out this Pakistani flag and give it to us, we will let you go… or… prepare to die" this was the warning given to the Major who was also their company commander, by the traitorous East Bengal Rifles, accompanied by Mukti Bahini.
"Me and take the Pakistani flag out? Not in a million years" was the answer by Major along with a shower of bullets.
The argument now turned into a fierce battle.
The background of this argument was that a Bengali NCO of the unit was very abusive to his jawans and often abused them. The Major called the NCO to his office and told him that refrain from such practice. The NCO came out of the office and said that Company Commander has permitted him to disgrace the jawans as much as possible. A jawan who was a witness to this whole situation argued that it is absolutely wrong. The argument turned into a fight. The Major came out of his office and tried to resolve the issue but he was himself injured.
To get proper medication, he had to move to the company head quarters. His CO Colonel Rab Nawaz told him not to go back to his company as it has turned against Pakistan. Major refused to do so. Colonel Rab Nawaz locked him in a room but Major was able to escape the room and reach his company.
It was a rumor in the company that Major has fled for his life, but against their perceptions Major was still there to take over the company. Now the traitor elements in the company became desperate. They surrounded the Major who was at the Tangail Rest House along with the DC of the district. Major was given the option to surrender or to take out the Pakistani flag hoisted on the roof of rest house. Both these options were unacceptable for Major, so he took a third option …
A fierce battle started between The Major and a whole company of traitors. Even being heavily armed and in a large number, enemy was not able to move even an inch near the rest house. It took one day and one night but the battle was still on. On March 29, traitors were able to advance when the Major ran out of ammunition.

Traitors killed the Major and then were able to take the control of the rest house.

Today history knows the Major as Major Kazim Kamal Khan Shaheed SSG (Sitara e Jurrat) Punjab Regiment

جس دھج سے کوئی مقتل کو گیا وہ شان سلامت رہتی ہے
یہ جان تو آنی جانی ہے اس جاں کی تو کوئی بات نہیں



It was after noon when the telephone bell rang at a small house of Gulberg Lahore.
"Hello! who is there?", asked the young man who answered the phone.
"Ahsan here Yar ! Tanveer had a fight at Temple Road with five gangsters of the area, do something", a frightened voice from the other side replied.
The young man put the phone down immediately, kicked his bike and almost flew towards Temple Road. When he reached there, the fight was over and Tanveer was taken to the hospital for dressing but those five gangsters were still there. The young man recognized those five, but instead of stopping there; the young man kicked his bike and left. The gangsters who were ready to fight with him were surprised to see the young man's reaction.

"Oye aa bakri, darr gaya ain?" (Punjabi)
(Hey you goat? Are you afraid?), were the remarks by the gangsters, but he didn't stop.

After half an hour the young man came back on his bike, his head was shaved and he was wearing jeans, instead of his Kurta Shalwar. It was a big but unpleasant surprise for the gangsters. The young man got off from his bike and charged at them. Within a few minutes, the young man thrashed all the five like cotton.

"Hun dass bakri kon ay?" (Punjabi)
(Now tell me who is the goat?) was the question by the young man.

After taking care of the gangsters, the young man reached the hospital, consoling his wounded friend Tanveer and said ," Don't worry yar ! I am never going to leave you alone.
"I know …", was the answer by Tanveer with a contented smile.
After 3 months, the young man, was promoted to the rank of Major in Pakistan Army. He received a phone call when he was at Sialkot, It was Ahsan on the other side saying ,"Bad news for us Yar ! Tanveer is no more; he has committed suicide last night because of his marriage issue".
Those were not just words but were a bomb which just destroyed all the senses of the Major. In a condition of trauma, Major attended the funeral of his friend.

May, 1970

After few weeks of his friends death, one day the Major came to offer Fatiha on his friend's grave, he saw an old woman at the grave. He quickly recognized her, she was the mother of his friend Tanveer.

"Maa Ji! No words to describe the grief" Major said with a heavy heart.

"But my grief is even bigger Son, Tanveer's mother told the Major that she has seen her son many times in her dream, surrounded in fire and in pain and its all because he committed suicide, Mufti sahab says that it is Azaab and it can only end if any practicing Aalim or any Shaheed is buried near his grave".

"Don't worry Maa Ji, In Sha Allah soon it will be over. Major consoled the grieved mother. "I am not going to leave him alone"

December, 1971

That Major embraced shahadat at the war front after performing a series of super heroic acts. He was buried next to Tanveer's grave as per his will.

That night Tanveer's mother saw the Major in her dream, wearing a white glowing robe, lifting a heavy sack, going somewhere in a hurry.

" Baita listen to me, where are you going?" the Mother called him in the dream.

"Maa Ji not now, its Tanveer's load and I am going to throw it somewhere", and the mother was happy to see the calm and happy face of her son Tanveer, going after the Major. After that night, his mother never saw her son disturbed in her dreams.

The Major not only proved to be the best officer of Pakistan Army, but a best son, a best brother and a best friend, who took care of his friend even after being martyred.

Today, the world knows him as Major Shabbir Shareef Shaheed Nishan e Haider.


So sad on this loss.

Having said that - it sickens me how people wraps themselves to get that "partial glitter" from these losses, just to perpetuate old worn out idioms.

Also how we just sugar coat and avoid learning lessons on why this keeps happening. Some are absolutely unavoidable and par for the course for this sort of warfare.
But then there is also a failure of objective review and analysis on the constant failures of force protection.

I can guarantee you that in the case of Col Hassan he was targeted. And though I am speculating there is a strong possibility that there was an internal leak and compromise. Either that or the b*****ds just got lucky.
Last edited:

Major Ali Raza Shaheed

📷: The picture was taken just two days before #Shahadat while he was on an operation in sambaza, (Zhob) where he embraced martyrdom.
General Abu Bakr Osman Mitha was not only one of the finest officers of Pakistan Army during his time but also can be considered one of the best men ever seen in the military history. Although his whole career was an example of excellence and hard work, but the brightest feather in his cap was the formation of SSG. The most elite unit of Pakistan Army. Here is our humble effort to depict that how hard he tried to raise the best unit. Based on his memoirs, we have written an article. Although Mitha was the person who never praised himself and preferred to remain in dark, but we have penned down the article in the first-person narration just to show how committed he was towards his cause.

Seeing the length of article, we have divided it into two parts.

I received the orders from GHQ that 17 Baluch is going to be converted into the SSG and I’ll be its first CO. This whole unit was to be made only out of volunteers. So, I kept only one company of 17 Baluch along with Major Sharif and Captain Riaz, with me to handle administrative duties and told Baluch Regimental Center to post out others to different units. Later I took Lieutenant Saleem Zia as well (He later commanded SSG too).

Lacking the expertise and relevant details for the operations, I had to visit America on 17 March 1956. Where I studied different kinds of curriculum to be inducted in the SSG. Initially I landed in New York, where I was taught the activities for “Stay Behind” in the enemy territory. Later I was taken to Fort Bragg (Fort Liberty now), where I studied the techniques of modern para warfare. After that I was taken to Jericho Vermont, where the Mountain Warfare School is located. Lastly, I attended Frogman School in Los Angeles. After couple of months on my return, I was able to draw up a course out line for the SSG.

After my return, I met with Ayub Khan and briefed him on what I had learned. On my return to Cherat, I received the first batch of the volunteers of the SSG, including officers and ORs. I personally selected the candidates for initial two companies, to indicate that what kind of men I want for the SSG. I never compromised over my criteria for the SSG. It was the reason that I always had shortage of men up to 15% of the requirement. I could accept the shortage but not any incompetent person. Under training recruits from the units, Frontier Corps, and other arms of the military as well, I asked for the men who were willing to go through intense hardship of training.

The first batch was selected, and the initial two months of rigorous training were started for the soldiers. They were asked to do what they couldn’t have ever imagined in their actual months. For example, an exercise was held to walk up to 40 miles in the mountainous terrain. After pushing beyond their limits when they made 40 miles, carrying their heavy burden; they were asked to go for another 10 miles and later 5 more. Only a few were able to do this initial phase. Those who were unable were sent to their parent units back immediately. It was just a tiny example of what they were told to do.

I encouraged them to improvise and act on their plans situation to situation, creating a real war like situation during the training. Although I preferred the lightest and most maneuverable weapons, but they had to carry it in a maximum quantity as much as they could. Only the backpack weighed up to 40 pounds. They were not given enough food supplies, instead they were ordered to take food from the environment. Such as, collecting dew drops for water, wring the moss, eating leaves and branches or even roots of different plants.

Instead of any decoration or garnishing of the unit lines and barracks, I had told on the very first day that I only need barracks and equipment to be cleaned and updated. I also strictly forbade the fatigue parties and labor work by the soldiers. I want them to be focused strictly on their work. I also forbade any soldier to take part in any sports out of the unit. However, sports inside the units must be participated. I also took part with my jawans. Unit mess was to remain open throughout the year. The timings and duration of the training was to remain the same, even in Ramzan. Instead of being called by the bugle, I told them to study the notice board where the daily schedule was pasted for everyone. I wanted them to treat them like adults, not like some school kids. Everyone was to reach the relevant point on time, otherwise he was to face the consequences. One more thing I added was that if anyone was not seen marching smartly while going in the unit premises, he will regret it.

If someone wanted to go on leave, all he should do is to enter the Kote-Guard and leave. However, he should be sure that he doesn’t have any duty assigned to him. If someone doesn’t come on the devised time after spending the weekend, he would be considered AWOL (Absent without Leave). I can proudly say that during my six years of command, there wasn’t any single case of AWOL. Instead, everyone thought it sacred to keep this in order. Captain Anwar (Later Major General) was returning to Cherat from Peshawar. But he missed the van and no cab driver agreed to travel here in such a dark. So he treadled from Peshawar to Cherat with his ordinary civillian shoes. He reached the parade 5 minutes earlier. But what condition was his feet suffering cant be described in words. A jawan named Noor Muhammd was returning to Cherat from his village. As the train reached Attock station, it passed without stopping as it was a nonstop train. Without caring for his life, he jumped from the train. He fell near the tracks and his head was chopped off under the train wheels. A common man must think it as an act of lunacy, but it was the discipline as I think it.

SSG personnel were ordered to reach any part of the country on immediate notice, carrying their relevant gears. They were tasked to meet the task without any flaw. All they had were weapons and sometimes, not even that. They had to reach the target without any transport or aid, meet the objective and return without being spotted. If anyone was caught carrying any food supplies while going, money or even a pen knife while leaving for the target, he was immediately kicked out of the SSG and sent to his parent unit with a warning letter.

I had only kept a single company of 17 Baluch, naming them as “Training Company”. They were tasked to supervise the under-training men. I personally conducted “raids” on the hideouts of the commandos. In such a situation, they were ordered to leave the positions immediately, not only carrying their belongings, but also to remove any signs of their presence in the area. All I wanted was to keep them active all the time as being caught by me or any of the “training Company” personal meant was the return to the parent unit. For the initial two months, I also accompanied my men carrying full operational gears, carrying a forty pounds backpack, and performing the same duties with my men.

While going through all this, I was called by General Naseer (The Chief of Staff), who objected to my methods and accused me of spoiling army conducts. He also told me to finish all my practices or I shall face the consequence. I had no other choice but to talk to General Ayub Khan. I don’t know what he said to General Naseer, but I never faced any situation like that. Not only the trainees, but the company commander and the commanding officer (me) also had to attend the PT. It was not common sit ups and pushups but a hard core physical exercise, which everyone had to attend. For the whole day workout, it was just an appetizer. I also gave the demo to climb the 13 feet high wall without any support and descend without any support. Those (especially younger than me) who couldn’t do so, were given “special treatment” by the PT NCOs.

One day when I was descending a rope using only my hands, I heard some officers saying, “Sir may you slip from the rope”. For the next two days, I went to the boxing classes especially and had a match with those specific officers. I gave them a proper “reward” for their prayers. They asked me a time for couple of days to get trained in the boxing, which I gladly did. However, when I met them after a week, I beat them even worse than before. The poor chaps never hooted at me again.

I made the rotation practice of my men. I rotated them in such a manner that a person doing his duties in desert will be performing his tasks in snowcapped areas just after a couple of weeks and later in the coastal belts. The first company I sent to Baluchistan consisted of only ten soldiers. One day I received a call from the Commanding Officer of a scout platoon from Chaman.

When I reached there, I was told that only eight to ten of men are roaming in the area where even two hundred of scouts don’t dare to come without proper armament, as it was the stronghold of most fierce robbers and terrorists of the region. The nearest platoon what the CO was talking about was of Captain Syed. I called him on wireless and asked him to meet us (me and the CO). When Syed reached, I asked him the exact situation of the area. I told the CO not to worry about my men and ordered Syed to continue his operations.

Ironically, after a few weeks, Syed brought the most notorious robber of the area with robber’s hands tied on his back. Not only him but also three of his associates, known for robbery, killing and smuggling. I signaled to the CO that does he require the SSG escort for him if he wants to stay safe? I never received a reply from him.

It is also pertinent to mention about Naik Miran, who was operational in this area. He was roaming the area in civilian attire. Scouts saw him suspiciously and arrested him. They arrested him and started interrogating, including third degree as well. He kept silent until forty-eight hours. After forty-eight hours he told that he belongs to SSG. When we were asked, we confirmed that he is one of us. On inquiring by the scouts, he told that it is the training of SSG that ID remains undisclosed until it passes forty eight hours. Naik Miran was taken by us. He was given an option to get one rank demotion or to be kicked out of the SSG. He didn’t want to get our of SSG so he accepted demotion. He was demoted because of the reason why he was caught.
However, it would be futile to say that never happened any problem. Once I saw an officer marching. His backpack looked overstuffed, even heavier than 40 pounds, but its condition looked as if it had not been opened for days. I called him and asked him to open it. He opened it and I was furious to see that it was only filled with cardboard pieces. Before lunch, he had to leave Cherat.
Every year in the month of February, an exercise was conducted in Mansehra. Its purpose was to test the “Stay Behind” capabilities of SSG. An infantry battalion played the role of the enemy and SSG had to penetrate their lines. It longed for four weeks. In the month of February, it was the season of intense rain and cold. They were not issued any ration, tent or supplies, or even the medical aid. Every soldier had to carry his burden and arrange food supplies for him. Even if someone was injured or sick, he had to approach exercise headquarters on his own, without anyone’s help. I feel proud to say that my men never let me down. I always kept my head high because of them.
As long as I had been the commander of SSG, I always objected to have any specific shoulder sign, Barret or insignia for the SSG. Instead of being symbolic, I wanted them to act practically. My friend Colonel (Later Major General Janjua) once asked me to stay in Cherat for a couple of days. He wanted to verify whether the SSG are special indeed or its just a propaganda among the lines. On a fateful day I received him in Cherat and dropped him in the mess, as he wanted to see himself in a casual mood what SSG really is. I arranged his stay for a week in Cherat. But surprisingly the next day, he asked me to leave Cherat. I asked him why so soon? Wont he verify my claim about SSG? But he replied that he has seen my men here. The way they talk and reply any question and scan a person while saluting, it’s enough to tell that they are not a common breed now.
My doors were open to anyone. Any moment of grief, joy, trouble or advise; was common between me and my men. I proudly say that in my absence, any of my officers or jawans never hesitated to knock my door and asked my wife anything in their household matters. As per the routine in army unites, I had also issued orders that only ten percent of the men can go on leave for Eid celebrations. However, my home was opened for every jawan or officer at that moment. A feast was arranged for them at my home. Considering me more than their elder brother, they helped my wife in kitchen, arranging the feast or even cleaning the utensils after lunch. But this was hell of a job to do. Just imagine what a group of strong and sturdy men will do to the lunch, when they have some score to settle with their CO?
On receiving the first batch of officers, I arranged an ice cream party for them. I was the only person having a refrigerator at home so I could keep the ice cream. But after that day on every week end, my home was the picnic point for those who wanted to enjoy ice cream. Even after the refrigerator was arranged in the mess, ice cream party still continued to grace my home.
I had heard much about Americans regarding their skills. But they surprised me even more. I was shocked to see how much they under estimated us. I had told them already about our basic course outlines, but it was of no use. On the very first day when I visited the class, I saw them teaching the officers about the basics of small arms and ballistics. I attended that class for four hours myself, just to see what they were teaching. I called the chief instructor to my office and stopped this futile activity because our “Small Arms Course” has told us much about it already. The same happened when the class of demolition course started. I told them we know about it already.

Once a survival instructor was sent to us, considering that he can teach us something. After a week, we received a gigantic and sturdy American officer. He kept teaching my men for two weeks. After that he came to my office and told me that he is just wasting his time. I asked why he is saying that. Then he told me that my men already know what he is here to teach, even they know better than him in several matters. For example, he said that my men already know that how to make loaf out of wild berry seeds or the medical characteristics of many herbs. He even came to know about some other practices as well which were not in his knowledge already.

When general Musa became the C-in-C, he planned a visit to Cherat. During his visit, he reached a hideout where the survival course was under practice. There was a strange odor in the air when Musa arrived at hide out. He saw that a couple of men were cooking frogs in a tin to eat. In a surprised manner Musa asked the NCO,”Do you really intend to eat it or just trying to impress me?”
“Sir will you try some if I eat one?”, NCO asked.
“For sure”, Musa answered.

The next moment Musa saw NCO chewing the two frogs and very next moment, Musa picked up two frogs and swallowed it without chewing. “How was the taste sir?” I couldn’t resist asking.

For a few days, Musa stayed in Peshawar and off and on, he visited Cherat, seeing the most unique military exercises to the extent of my knowledge he saw. About a week prior to Musa’s visit, my company commanders came to me and asked whether they should prepare for guard of honor and demos for the exercises. I replied to them, why do they need a week for practice, what’s the purpose of such rigorous training? Do they have enough spare time? All I allowed them was to have only one day to practice before the visit. I not even asked them that are they even practicing it or not, I knew my men. On the day of the visit, the demo and guard of honor given by the SSG not only spell bounded me, but what to say of Musa. I could read it on his face that he is not dealing here with ordinary men.

The time of six years just passed in a few moments. The day I remember when I was going to complete my three years in the SSG, on the instructions of General Ayub Khan I was given an extension of three more years because I was not satisfied with the standards of SSG. From the company of Unit 17 Baluch, I had now raised a full-fledged unit of Special Services Group. They could now operate on land, air, sea and under sea. I could not see anything further to be added in the curriculum. Till 1962, I had put my best for the SSG. Now I was feeling bored and monotonous. Although GHQ looks in a mood to extend my tenure for a further three years, it was enough. So, on a fateful day, I left the SSG with a heavy heart and lots of love.


25th Martyrdom Anniversary of Havildar Lalak Jan Shaheed

The Armed Forces of Pakistan, Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee, and Services Chiefs pay homage to Havildar Lalak Jan Shaheed, Nishan-e-Haider, on the 25th anniversary of his ultimate sacrifice.

On this day, Havildar Lalak Jan demonstrated unwavering courage and selflessness, laying down his life in the line of duty during the Kargil conflict. His valor and altruism continue to inspire future generations of brave soldiers.

The highest honor is bestowed upon those who sacrifice their lives for the nation's defense.

The nation remains forever grateful to its valiant soldiers for their unwavering commitment to protecting the motherland at all costs.

We honor the memory of our fallen heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our country.

View attachment 53937
Top Bottom