What's new

Operation Midnight Jackal, one of the worst political scandals

AstanoshKhan

<b>PTI: NAYA PAKISTANI</b>
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Operation Midnight Jackal, one of the worst political scandals in Pakistan, has once again come in the spotlight after recent statements by some of the major players involved. DawnNews' Shahzad Raza gives you an insight into the 1989 scandal.

Last edited by a moderator:
And then some tried and tested failures talk about agencies support to PTI.

There's more to it Areesh.

KARACHI: According to the sworn undertaking of ISI&#8217;s former chief Lieutenant General (rtd) Asad Durrani, which he took before Supreme Court (SC) on July 24, 1994, that he was instructed in September 1990 by the then Chief of Army Staff (COAS), the former General Mirza Aslam Baig for provision of Logistic Support to embezzle money donated for election preparations from some Karachi traders and use the same donation money for Islami Jamhuri Ittehad (IJI) party. Asad Durrani was told that the instructions to misappropriate donation money were backed by the then government of Pakistan, according to his affidavit statement before SC.

According to the affidavit, then chief of army staff General (r) Mirza Aslam Baig had advised the intelligence agency in September 1990 that it should give logistic support to the transfer of funds from the business community in Karachi to the IJI during the 1988 election.
According to the written affidavit of July 24, 1994, Lt Gen (r) Durrani said he was informed at the time that the step had the government&#8217;s complete support. After the orders, he said he opened a number of accounts in banks in Karachi, Rawalpindi and Quetta.

A man from Karachi named Younas Habib had deposited Rs 140 million in a bank account and the rest of the money was transferred to a special fund.

According to the affidavit, acquired by the TV channel, the recipients were as follows :

Caretaker prime minister Ghulam Mustafa Jatoi received Rs 5 million,
former Sindh chief minister Jam Sadiq Rs 5 million,
former prime minister Muhammad Khan Junejo Rs 2.5 million,
Nawaz Sharif Rs 3.5 million,
senior politician Pir Pagaro Rs 2 million,
the Jamaat-e-Islami Rs 5 million,
Mir Afzal Khan Rs 10 million,
Abida Hussain Rs 1 million,
Lt Gen Rafaqat Rs 5.6 million for managing the media campaign,
Humayun Marri Rs 1.5 million,
former prime minister Zafarullah Jamali Rs 4 million,
Kakar Rs 1 million,
Jam Yousaf Rs 0.7 million,
Hasil Bizenjo Rs 0.5 million,
Nadir Mengal Rs 1 million,
Altaf Hussain Qureshi and Mustafa Sadiq Rs 0.5 million,
Salahuddin Rs 0.3 million, smaller groups Rs 5.4 million and others received Rs 3.339 million.

Source: Daily Times

Good information. But, why highlighting only NS among more than 17 entries in the affidavit? See, if something is wrong, then it must be wrong for every one without any exception. This is the pre-requisite of 'insaaf'. An other thing is, that all this came into light after 5 years of funding. Who knows what we would be seeing after 5 years from now? All the people listed above were darlings of establishment back then. So is IK now. He may not be playing on their pitch but, considering 5.6 million allocated for managing the media campaign (see the list), how can we say that ISI would not be doing the same now? to see their desired results? Point I want to emphasize on, is that our agencies traditionally have played the dirty role of not letting the true change happen in our society. So, just hatred for some particular person(s) will not serve us more than change of faces. Where is the 'real' change?

Good information. But, why highlighting only NS among more than 17 entries in the affidavit? See, if something is wrong, then it must be wrong for every one without any exception. This is the pre-requisite of 'insaaf'. An other thing is, that all this came into light after 5 years of funding. Who knows what we would be seeing after 5 years from now? All the people listed above were darlings of establishment back then. So is IK now. He may not be playing on their pitch but, considering 5.6 million allocated for managing the media campaign (see the list), how can we say that ISI would not be doing the same now? to see their desired results? Point I want to emphasize on, is that our agencies traditionally have played the dirty role of not letting the true change happen in our society. So, just hatred for some particular person(s) will not serve us more than change of faces. Where is the 'real' change?

On the highlight point of Nawaz Sharif, he and his team blames IK of being supported by Establishment - obviousely without any proof. IK has said that many times, you prove me I work for establishment - I'll quite politics, but if I've to quite, I'll prove NS is an establishment stooge, so he should do the same - quit politics. Since NS hasn't come with any proofs yet but only with baseless and notorious allegations, hence your argument is invalid.

Establishment needs me, I don't need the establishment - Imran Khan.

Wow! It simply amazing me as to how much the ISI plays a part in the day to day governance as well as government formation in Pakistan! Uniformed men who are trained and meant to fight an enemy are instead busy in palace intrigues which are mind blowing in scope and intent! Sorry to say it, but it's no wonder that Pakistan is where it is today because of this crass interference of democratic processes by those in uniform.

On the highlight point of Nawaz Sharif, he and his team blames IK of being supported by Establishment - obviousely without any proof. IK has said that many times, you prove me I work for establishment - I'll quite politics, but if I've to quite, I'll prove NS is an establishment stooge, so he should do the same - quit politics. Since NS hasn't come with any proofs yet but only with baseless and notorious allegations, hence your argument is invalid.

Establishment needs me, I don't need the establishment - Imran Khan.

But, again, its none of establishment's business to indulge in politics. Its out of their scope. Now if IK really has said this, its political immaturity on his part. Who is establishment to 'need' some one? Does a subordinate 'needs' a desired boss? Do states work like this? No change is going to come this way dear!

But, again, its none of establishment's business to indulge in politics. Its out of their scope. Now if IK really has said this, its political immaturity on his part. Who is establishment to 'need' some one? Does a subordinate 'needs' a desired boss? Do states work like this? No change is going to come this way dear!

Well, establishment were/are involved but as you've very rightly said it's out of their scope, someone got to take a stand to oust them out, and that was the main reason, the people who were/are supported by estb. are the one blames IK too. So IK's so called immature statement were in the light of those immature-allegations against him by immature politicians.

The change is here, you only have to decide whether to be a part of it or not.

And, only Allah SWT knows the best.

My dear, counter arguments are not going to serve anyone. I mean, its just like all other politicians. The thinking process seems the same to me. And change come with the change in thinking not by raising fingers against others or by raising slogans just like other immature minds. I am a part of the change because I wish THE REAL CHANGE. Not the change of faces. Perhaps people will be disillusioned after a very short time after this perceived 'change'. I may be wrong but it looks like this at this very moment to me.

There is no court decision yet on this issue but I know as per the circumstantial evidence in my minds that all above is 110% correct..!!

Just like PTI followers today, back in 88-89’ I/we too are very enthusiast when we here that the PA/ISI actually backing the IJI(Islami Jamhoori Ittehad) bcz as per ISI propaganda BB/PPP is actually a security risk for our beloved country and if they are patronizing people in IJI to somehow oust that “Ghaddar” from our ranks that is very right thing to do to save Pakistan….., and in a sense we consider ourselves at that moment as PA/ISI itself by simply supporting IJI.

By the time past and events unfolds we know exactly who is really a puppeteer and who is simply a puppet, who does anything solely for the interests of Pakistan and who for his own interests and skin throughout the history of Pakistan. Unfortunately, every newbie in our politics needs the support of establishment to make any stands initially and that entity very fondly provides it to him in the shape of moles in every steps but exactly that entity and its support is the biggest hurdle to bring about real “Change” in our country affairs lastly, its been learned.

Therefore, I fully support the idea that SC hear that petition of Asghar Khan not bcz its expose NS (That is a very small thing to do for me personally) but bcz its exposes ISI and only for that reason I don’t think it will ever happened in near future.

There is no court decision yet on this issue but I know as per the circumstantial evidence in my minds that all above is 110% correct..!!

Just like PTI followers today, back in 88-89&#8217; I/we too are very enthusiast when we here that the PA/ISI actually backing the IJI(Islami Jamhoori Ittehad) bcz as per ISI propaganda BB/PPP is actually a security risk for our beloved country and if they are patronizing people in IJI to somehow oust that &#8220;Ghaddar&#8221; from our ranks that is very right thing to do to save Pakistan&#8230;.., and in a sense we consider ourselves at that moment as PA/ISI itself by simply supporting IJI.

By the time past and events unfolds we know exactly who is really a puppeteer and who is simply a puppet, who does anything solely for the interests of Pakistan and who for his own interests and skin throughout the history of Pakistan. Unfortunately, every newbie in our politics needs the support of establishment to make any stands initially and that entity very fondly provides it to him in the shape of moles in every steps but exactly that entity and its support is the biggest hurdle to bring about real &#8220;Change&#8221; in our country affairs lastly, its been learned.

Therefore, I fully support the idea that SC hear that petition of Asghar Khan not bcz its expose NS (That is a very small thing to do for me personally) but bcz its exposes ISI and only for that reason I don&#8217;t think it will ever happened in near future.

Right on spot. And this is the reason SC is not taking this case. But, again, real God Father is being let unhooked while the puppets are being put on 'shooting practice'.

Just like PTI followers today, back in 88-89&#8217; I/we too are very enthusiast when we here that the PA/ISI actually backing the IJI(Islami Jamhoori Ittehad) bcz as per ISI propaganda BB/PPP is actually a security risk for our beloved country and if they are patronizing people in IJI to somehow oust that &#8220;Ghaddar&#8221; from our ranks that is very right thing to do to save Pakistan&#8230;.., and in a sense we consider ourselves at that moment as PA/ISI itself by simply supporting IJI.

Talk about yourself. We aren't "enthusiast" about support from any agency. That too when it is just an allegation without proof from the political rivals. Unlike in your case when you knew that ISI is supporting IJI and you guys still went for it.

By the time past and events unfolds we know exactly who is really a puppeteer and who is simply a puppet, who does anything solely for the interests of Pakistan and who for his own interests and skin throughout the history of Pakistan. Unfortunately, every newbie in our politics needs the support of establishment to make any stands initially and that entity very fondly provides it to him in the shape of moles in every steps but exactly that entity and its support is the biggest hurdle to bring about real &#8220;Change&#8221; in our country affairs lastly, its been learned.

Therefore, I fully support the idea that SC hear that petition of Asghar Khan not bcz its expose NS (That is a very small thing to do for me personally) but bcz its exposes ISI and only for that reason I don&#8217;t think it will ever happened in near future.

I do understand the story of betrayal and shattering of dreams of youth of 80s, in our power politics establishment is the military will. to tackle that we need leaders who they "cannot buy" that is who dont lose people's support after coming in power. and that can only be done by setting a good example. and that they dont start doing what people did in 90s, that is destroying economy and expanding their own assets.

to be hopeless is not the answer, look at Turkey how swiftly they belled the cat.

just giving you an example how things are different from late 80s. you see Chabi wala khargosh Sheikh Rasheed nowadays on tv, expressing desperation of GHQ. but the people are not listening to him, had it been late 80s, the government would have been held for treason, but now things have changed, its natural the people are better informed than 80s. they have realized this "game of throne"

as for IK, he is arrogant, he is "khabti", it is against his nature to be second in command, it is against his nature to have instructions, it is against his nature to be told, and above all it is against his principle to be a puppet in power, he had his chance but he remained in opposition than to be a puppet of Musharraf aka Establishment/military.

who else has done this ?

I do understand the story of betrayal and shattering of dreams of youth of 80s, in our power politics establishment is the military will. to tackle that we need leaders who they "cannot buy" that is who dont lose people's support after coming in power. and that can only be done by setting a good example. and that they dont start doing what people did in 90s, that is destroying economy and expanding their own assets.

to be hopeless is not the answer, look at Turkey how swiftly they belled the cat.

just giving you an example how things are different from late 80s. you see Chabi wala khargosh Sheikh Rasheed nowadays on tv, expressing desperation of GHQ. but the people are not listening to him, had it been late 80s, the government would have been held for treason, but now things have changed, its natural the people are better informed than 80s. they have realized this "game of throne"

as for IK, he is arrogant, he is "khabti", it is against his nature to be second in command, it is against his nature to have instructions, it is against his nature to be told, and above all it is against his principle to be a puppet in power, he had his chance but he remained in opposition than to be a puppet of Musharraf aka Establishment/military.

who else has done this ?

Dear I/we have learned our lessons quite well, crossed the river of maturity one way or other finally and now waiting on the other side for you/others to joins.

Hamsafar Milti hay Manzil Thokrain Khanay ke Baad..
Rang Lati Hay Hina pathar pay Piss Janay ke Baad.!!

This is the time for IK/PTI as a leader and a party to prove their mantle when they finally reach on the “Bridge” by the middle…through the “support”…., Bcz that is the easiest part… the other half they have to cross alone and by their own and believes me I/We support him when he is purely on his own and thinking to decide either to make that journey as it is or God forbids turning back fearfully. Marks my words…!!

So, At the moment….just “Fasten Your Belts”..!! there is a bumpy ride ahead..!!

Back
Top Bottom