Status
Not open for further replies.

A1Kaid

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

"Operation Blue Star (3–6 June 1984)

was an Indian military operation ordered by Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minister of India,[4] to remove Sikh separatists who were amassing weapons in the Golden Temple in Amritsar.[5] The operation was launched in response to a deterioration of law and order in the Indian state of Punjab.

The operation was carried out by Indian army troops with tanks and armoured vehicles.[6] Militarily successful, the operation aroused immense controversy, and the government's justification for the timing and style of the attack are still under debate.[7] Operation Bluestar was included in the Top 10 Political Disgraces by India Today magazine.[8]

Official reports put the number of deaths among the Indian army at 83 and the number of civilian deaths at 492, though independent estimates ran much higher.[9]

The impact of the military assault, its aftermath and the increased tensions led to assaults on members of the Sikh community within India and uproar amongst Sikhs worldwide. In India, many Sikhs resigned from armed and civil administrative office and returned their government awards.[10] Revenge for the desecration of the Sikh shrine was pledged by some in the Sikh community,[10] and Indira Gandhi was assassinated by 2 of her Sikh bodyguards on 31 October 1984.[11]"

Source: Operation Blue Star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Checked footnotes, they are reliable)

Last edited by a moderator:
very very sad Sikhs have suffer'd alot but things arent any better for them til now these days i thank Allah for everyday that they gave us Pakistan i've personally met alot of Sikhs in New York thier views about thier Homeland arent good.

"1984 Indian State Terrorism Against Minorities"

US House of Representative Officials condemn India for it's state oppression against minorities.

Indian military officer addressing journalist, and deliberately misleading the public about Operation Blue Star. He blames both China and Pakistan completely disregarding Sikh aspirations and self-responsibility of India for this domestic event.

Amazing video

well the SIKHS have suffered enough i think...and do not deserve the people to shun responsibility & make PAKISTAN & CHINA the escape goats.....i mean seriously....

Like the Chinese Ughuir problem, it was an Indian internal security matter!

Outsiders= comment and move on.

Btw this was almost 25 years ago, and the terrorist morons had it coming!

IMVHO, any place of worship- be it temple, mosque or church- used to store/hide weapons, abused as a place of hiding by terrorists, or used for illegal purposes - loses its sanctity/sacredness and should be treated as any other building, history notwithstanding. Period.

Last edited:
i am sorry GUBBI but these days nothing is AN INTERNAL PROBLEM.....and secondly....places of WORSHIP steer greif if attacked no matter what is stored inside it....so yes you can't tell OUTSIDERS to move on...because in a global environment nothing is an internal matter... and before you preach such things look at this forum NO PAKISTANI ever told an INDIAN to move on and not comment....

i am sorry GUBBI but these days nothing is AN INTERNAL PROBLEM.....and secondly....places of WORSHIP steer greif if attacked no matter what is stored inside it....so yes you can't tell OUTSIDERS to move on...because in a global environment nothing is an internal matter... and before you preach such things look at this forum NO PAKISTANI ever told an INDIAN to move on and not comment....

I do agree with you about the global environment. My comment was directed at some people who were defending about not criticizing China about its human rights record wrt Ughirs.

I understand that places of worship is a sensitive topic. However, I do firmly believe that when a fanatic group uses their place of worship to store weapons and escape the writ of the state for their illegal activities, then that place is desecrated! If the people also support such extremists in their abuse of such holy places then the law of the land should be exercised to flush such elements out. Thats just my personal opinion.

We have a sikh prime minister for last six yrs who is incharge of the affairs in all senses including the nuke button.No body raised a finger and questioned his loyalty.I mean no body.

Indian military always been filled with sikh soldiers and generals who faught gallantly every battle of india.

Its actually a sikh police chief named KPS Gill took on the sikh militancy and crushed it for ever.

Even after Blue star and riots of 1984 ,the fact remains neither indian public (read hindus) ever lost faith in sikh community nor majority the sikhs ever doubted the idea india and their role in it.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Pakistan had its Lal mashjid .
some time u have to take drastic step in the larger good of the state

What was the reason behind this operation?I don't know much about this operation.If it was indeed done to kill Sikh terrorists (Punjab is not disputed territory and there are alot of Sikhs in mainstream in India) then i completely support this Operation.

Last edited:
I agree with Gubbi here....

There are 2 parts to this story.....and both have to be dealt with in different light....There was a seperatist/terrorist movement led by Bindrawale....and they were using the sacred Golden temple as their fortress with civilian hostages....

In this case I think Indira Gandhi and the army were justified to go ahead and purge the terrorists.....by any means possible.....I agree there was some heavy handedness and religious sensitivity should have been taken into account...Important point to note is that the operation was taken up by Sikh commanders (Brar) and the Punjab police who comprise of a lot of Sikhs as well.....Nevertheless I support the army in their actions, as an enemy of the nation spans well beyond any religious realm!!!
And the same approach was used during the Askshadharm temple seige.....only difference was.....that during the latter, we had a trained Urban warfare group specializing in dealing with terrorists.....and we lacked this during Blue Star....

Now the aftermath of the Indira Gandhi killing.....that I feel is something that is a blot on Indian History....but I blame this on the leaders.....except for goons propped up by the Congress who committed the violence, and except for incidents by the same indivuduals in Delhi and Punjab, there was no Anti-Sikh sentiment in the country whatsoever!!!!

Indians will always be ashamed of this act......
But this is not just an "Indian or Hindu" phenomenon.....incidents and massacres vast greater have happened in other countries too.....eg. Massacres in East Bengal, Tianmen Square massacre,etc.....

So please let this not be about how non-secular us Indians are or Hindu mentality etc......I would rather discuss:
How this could have been avoided
Similarities to the Lal Masjid incidence, and how we can learn from Pakistan
What is the protocol about Religious sensitivity when enemies of a state or serperatist use religious buildings to hijack a country......
How would Pakistan have dealt with a similar situation where religious sensitivity of a minority group has to be taken into account?

I agree with Gubbi here....

There are 2 parts to this story.....and both have to be dealt with in different light....There was a seperatist/terrorist movement led by Bindrawale....and they were using the sacred Golden temple as their fortress with civilian hostages....

In this case I think Indira Gandhi and the army were justified to go ahead and purge the terrorists.....by any means possible.....I agree there was some heavy handedness and religious sensitivity should have been taken into account...Important point to note is that the operation was taken up by Sikh commanders (Brar) and the Punjab police who comprise of a lot of Sikhs as well.....Nevertheless I support the army in their actions, as an enemy of the nation spans well beyond any religious realm!!!
And the same approach was used during the Askshadharm temple seige.....only difference was.....that during the latter, we had a trained Urban warfare group specializing in dealing with terrorists.....and we lacked this during Blue Star....

Now the aftermath of the Indira Gandhi killing.....that I feel is something that is a blot on Indian History....but I blame this on the leaders.....except for goons propped up by the Congress who committed the violence, and except for incidents by the same indivuduals in Delhi and Punjab, there was no Anti-Sikh sentiment in the country whatsoever!!!!

Indians will always be ashamed of this act......
But this is not just an "Indian or Hindu" phenomenon.....incidents and massacres vast greater have happened in other countries too.....eg. Massacres in East Bengal, Tianmen Square massacre,etc.....

So please let this not be about how non-secular us Indians are or Hindu mentality etc......I would rather discuss:
How this could have been avoided
Similarities to the Lal Masjid incidence, and how we can learn from Pakistan
What is the protocol about Religious sensitivity when enemies of a state or serperatist use religious buildings to hijack a country......
How would Pakistan have dealt with a similar situation where religious sensitivity of a minority group has to be taken into account?

Hi Peshwa

You missed Air india Kanishka bombing

Air India Flight 182 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

still the case is alive

I hope you follow what you say..!!!!

Friends this has been discussed in length in many threads..!! i don't think there any use in opening a new thread with the same arguments over and over again..!!! Please close this thread rather than let the different manifestations of the same arguments already discussed in this forum continue..!!!

It is an internal matter for India, just like Baluchistan is an internal issue for Pakistan.

The Indian Sikh's could have sided with Pakistan in 1947, they could have sided with the Muslim League, instead we had trains full of massacred migrants (by militant Sikhs) showing up at our railway stations.

AFAIK, with their actions they chose to become a part of the Indian Union, and if they had concerns later, they should have been handled in a peaceful manner using the political process and avenues afforded them under the Indian constitution.

Studying the history of the operation is fine and open for comment (since it is a historical event).

ZVzk6-BBKMA[/media] - Idiot Brar Trying To Cover Up Operation Bluestar By Lying

Indian military officer addressing journalist, and deliberately misleading the public about Operation Blue Star. He blames both China and Pakistan completely disregarding Sikh aspirations and self-responsibility of India for this domestic event.

Amazing video

I am sure that you are completely ignorant of the fact that Lt.Gen.K.S.Brar (who was in charge of Operation Bluestar) is a SIKH himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom