One in five women raped in US: White House report

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndoCarib

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Washington: About one in five women in the US has been raped in her life time, with nearly half of the victims subjected to sexual assault before the age of 18, a White House report said today.

Though women of all races are targeted, but some are more vulnerable than others, the report said, noting that 33.5 per cent of multiracial women have been raped, as have 27 per cent of American-Indian and Alaska Native women, compared to 15 per cent of Hispanic, 22 per cent of Black, and 19 per cent of White women.

Most victims know their assailants and the vast majority (nearly 98 per cent) of perpetrators are male, the report said.

The report released by the White House came ahead of the convening by US President Barack Obama and the Vice President Joe Biden of a meeting of the White House Council on Women and Girls at the Cabinet level along with the council representatives from each agency to examine the progress made and to renew a call to root out abuse wherever it exists, further protecting Americans from rape and sexual assault.

The report "Rape and Sexual Assault: A Renewed Call to Action" outlines the facts surrounding rape and sexual assault and identifies key areas to focus on and improve, including working to change social norms, improving criminal justice response, and protecting students from sexual assault.

To this end of building on strong steps already taken to make educational settings safer for students, Obama is scheduled to sign a new Presidential memorandum at the meeting to establish the White House Task Force on Protecting Students from Sexual Assault.

"The President believes that the prevalence of rape and sexual assault in our Nation's schools is both deeply troubling and a call to action. When 1 in 5 young women is sexually assaulted while in college, we must do more," the White House said in a fact sheet.

According to the report young people are especially at risk with nearly half of female survivors were raped before they were 18, and over one-quarter of male survivors were raped before they were 10.

College students are particularly vulnerable, one in five women has been sexually assaulted while in college, the report said.

Repeat victimisation is common with over a third of women who were raped as minors were also raped as adults, it said.

Men and boys, however, are also at risk, the report said, adding that one in 71 men or almost 1.6 million have been raped during their lives.

Other populations are also at higher risk of being raped or sexually assaulted, including people with disabilities, the LGBT community, prison inmates (of both genders), and the homeless, the report said.

Undocumented immigrants face unique challenges because their abusers often threaten to have them deported if they try to get help, the report said.

The White House said its Task Force on Protecting Students from Sexual Assault will provide schools with best practices for preventing sexual assault, improve transparency of the federal government's enforcement activities, and coordinate among federal agencies to hold schools accountable for confronting sexual assault.

"The Task Force builds on strong steps the Administration has already taken to combat rape and sexual assault on campus.

In 2011, Vice President Biden and Secretary Duncan announced first-of-its kind guidance to ensure that educational institutions fully understand their obligations under Title IX to respond to and prevent sexual assault," the report said.

One in five women raped in US: report | NDTV.com

Americans are a shame to the world...
Am usually pretty easy with the Indians here. But if you want to attribute the worst of humanity to US...

Addicts hid girl in shed, raped her for 3 days - The Times of India
The two drug addicts had kidnapped 11-year-old Pinki when she was crossing a subway near her school at Palsora inSector 56 on November 27 last year, confined her in a temporary shed in the forest near Sector 52 and sexually abused her for three days before killing her, the interrogation of the two accused arrested on Sunday has revealed.
Do you really want to go down that road? I can find plenty of things wrong in India and attribute the worst of humanity to you. Am sure the Pakistanis and the Chinese would be glad to have me on their sides about this.

5ba9bf25e4896a6a1e758c670540af965289e0c2c7e5a3.64078495.jpg

Am usually pretty easy with the Indians here. But if you want to attribute the worst of humanity to US...

Do you really want to go down that road? I can find plenty of things wrong in India and attribute the worst of humanity to you. Am sure the Pakistanis and the Chinese would be glad to have me on their sides about this.
No point in bringing india here...
But dont make fool out of yourself...
Was the article wrong?
America should learn to give respect to women and learn good manners and stop mugging...
Its a strange world out there...

Really Einstein? The worst of humanity to a single nation? This kind of stuff happens all over the world. I can find plenty of things bad about all countries. Best to leave it be.

Neighbor of Ariel Castro pleads guilty to murders, rapes, kidnappings - U.S. News

Ariel Castro's Victims: Cleveland Women Kidnapped For Years Will Speak Out In Book, 'Dr. Phil' Interview

Chinese clerk executed for kidnap, rape and murder in underground labyrinth | The Times

Chinese general's son jailed for gang-rape of woman in Beijing hotel | World news | theguardian.com

Father of gang-raped 5-year-old demands justice as case sparks protests across Pakistan - World News

Engineering student gangraped in Pakistan, three held | Business Standard

I'm sure the Indians would love to have me on their side about this.. :rolleyes:

Actually it is America which has already gone down that road. It has been carrying out a "Rape epidemic" propaganda against India for some time now, when all the while it is the rape capital of the world.

rape happens everywhere. in countries like US and India they tend to get widely reported thats all
Yes British included into this gang of democracy...
Its time for the media of US , INDIA, UK to sit down and stop this rape rhetoric...

That's a STUPID attitude. The focus must be to solve the problem that has reached serious proportions in India, not try to show down every crtic. WHether they have more or less polio (for eg>), your focus must be to reduce the enormous nos. in your own place.

This one in five refers to martial or relationship rape, men forcing on sex his partner. Marital rape is not the same gang-rape. Many countries, including India, don't even criminalized marital rape.

Rape can happen everywhere, India, China, EU and the US. It's delusional to argue that American women are equally at risk as Indians. Does US or CHina has culture of eve-teasing women in the public?? One doesn't need to second guess what eve-teasing will lead to in a more secluded place. US is one of the safest places for women. This is typical junk Indian media report.

Last edited:

Indians are posting this against other countries just to hide their own rape shame.

My take on crimes against women is that we must report and condemn and should NOT shy away from admitting we are blot on face of the humanity when it comes to Crimes against women.

Women are discriminated and brutalised throughout the world one way or the other .

The difference is that in countries like US they have higher chance and a fair chance of getting justice in such cases whereas in India, Pakistan its hardly 1%.

i will like to focus on my own region's shit in this regard before applying a faceplam by opening threads on America or any other superpower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom