What's new

OIC Military Industrial Complex (OICMIC)

kalu_miah

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
This thread is to discuss the possibility of developing a Military Industrial Complex within the member countries, to meet the domestic needs of member countries and then export to non-member countries.

There are 57 member countries.
Organisation of Islamic Cooperation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The total military budget of these countries together exceed US$100 Billion.
List of countries by military expenditures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Currently most of the military hardware used in these countries are being imported from outside OIC member countries.

We want to explore possibility of devising a comprehensive plan, so that:

- efforts are not duplicated among member countries
- all military hardware is standardized
- at least 2 production bases are setup in 2 member states for a particular item
- technology transfer is sought from countries willing to participate in this program (South Korea, China etc.)
- production is fairly distributed within member countries, considering the human and material resource available in each country
- financing is sought from wealthier countries who have available fund

The main idea of the OICMIC is to integrate and create a team work between the Militay industries within member countries, so that more and more items can be produced in-house and thus substitute import from non-member countries. For tech transfer and collaboration, I recommend South Korea and Japan (when Japanese constitution is changed to support export of military tech) as first tier priority countries and China and Taiwan as 2nd tier countries, mainly for items and techs that are not available in 1st tier countries.

In an earlier thread we have discussed a plan for OICPKF:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/middle...ntaining-peace-majority-muslim-countries.html

I believe the OICPKF will be an effective way to counter balance the Western influence and control of Military of some larger OIC member countries, who contribute heavily to UN PKF program and thus get financially benefited. This will also be a hedge against this Western influence which often foments political instability in OIC member countries, using this financial influence within the Military of these countries.

In addition to the OICPKF, once the military hardware is standardized, we need to hold regular Military exercises among OIC member countries, to enhance interoperability, team work and responding effectively to emergency situations.

Currently OIC has the following organs:
http://www.stio.comstech.org/stio-overview.pdf
COMSTECH

But the above OIC organs do not include or emphasize the military hardware market. I believe there is tremendous potential for this idea, as we have the budget (more than $100 billion), the facilities, the man power and available tech partner countries. In brief all the elements are there for increasing team work, self sufficiency and reducing dependence on others.

The development of this OICMIC, together with OICPKF and OIC military exercises and the resulting synergy between participating countries can be a tremendous boost for the security of OIC member states, which is a precondition of maintaining peace and continuing the task of national development taking advantage of this peace.

In the original concept OIC was to have a military committee. In fact Pakistani officers were posted there initially. Some scientists were posted in the biological section. But then all were divided by a big zero.

Why not a combined military R&D facility then? But I think member countries must address their political differences first.

Why not a combined military R&D facility then? But I think member countries must address their political differences first.

There can be combined military R&D facility, most probably in one of the GCC states.

Initially it can start with:
GCC states, Egypt, Turkey, Pakistan, Indonesia and Bangladesh. These countries have minimal political differences on international and regional matters.

Good idea.. but Turkey is currently a NATO member. All of our military equipment is NATO standard and we enjoy ToT/co-development with Western countries. I don't think Turkey will participate in this union by sacrificing it's NATO membership.

Not realistic currently. Most realistic right now is unity between Sunni Arab states. Which means all Arab countries excluding the Shia areas of Southeastern Iraq and nearly 350 million Arabs in total. Not counting the 50 million big Arab diaspora.

Right now only the GCC is relevant.

The issue is not relevant with all the turmoil, political divisions etc currently. The big actors are probably not interested in such a union anyway and would cause internal trouble.

Good idea.. but Turkey is currently a NATO member. All of our military equipment is NATO standard and we enjoy ToT/co-development with Western countries. I don't think Turkey will participate in this union by sacrificing it's NATO membership.

Turkey is a member of OIC... while being a NATO member... while Pakistan is a major allie of NATO...

But who cares OIC is a pathetic excuse for "muslim leaders" having tea parties once in a while...

There can be combined military R&D facility, most probably in one of the GCC states.

Initially it can start with:
GCC states, Egypt, Turkey, Pakistan, Indonesia and Bangladesh. These countries have minimal political differences on international and regional matters.

Okay im going to troll here... what does bangladeshis have to offer to such a complex? small arms n low tech ammo?

Would be good.if something on the lines of Nato is made.

and instead of nato getting into muslim countries.the OIC military should intervene in all the muslims countries only..be it the afghanistan,libya,syria,iraq or any other country

This is not a proposal for a union like EU or even a military alliance like NATO. Mainly the proposal is to agree to a common spec for military hardware and cooperate to have a common defense industry with more indigenous production.

The technical standards I am recommending are either Korean or Chinese, or perhaps a combination of both. I believe Korean hardware are NATO standard for the most part.

But I agree that NATO is first priority for Turkey and OIC is probably a distant second. OIC is not really a priority for most Muslim majority countries anyways, not in its current form. Many countries like Turkey may not join initially.

I am guessing that the main players would be GCC, Indonesia, Egypt, Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Not realistic currently. Most realistic right now is unity between Sunni Arab states. Which means all Arab countries excluding the Shia areas of Southeastern Iraq and nearly 350 million Arabs in total. Not counting the 50 million big Arab diaspora.

Right now only the GCC is relevant.

The issue is not relevant with all the turmoil, political divisions etc currently. The big actors are probably not interested in such a union anyway and would cause internal trouble.

Of course, if you are talking about regional union, I agree completely. GCC and Arab League is the way to go and then perhaps African Union as the bigger continental union as I discussed in some earlier threads:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/180771-geopolitics-gcc-region.html

But the proposal is about an agreed upon common military spec and using that spec to build inter-operability and indigenous production among major Sunni Muslim countries such as:
GCC, Egypt, Indonesia, Pakistan and Bangladesh

Turkey is a member of OIC... while being a NATO member... while Pakistan is a major allie of NATO...

But who cares OIC is a pathetic excuse for "muslim leaders" having tea parties once in a while...

Okay im going to troll here... what does bangladeshis have to offer to such a complex? small arms n low tech ammo?

I am aware of OIC current situation, what I am proposing it is using the existing platform to do something that OIC obviously does not do currently.

Bangladesh can offer many things, if there is proper investment, such as:
- ship building
- aircraft maintenance
in addition to small arms, ammo and army uniform.

We also have a small defense budget for importing arms, so we could use that budget to buy from this complex instead of importing directly from China or Russia or other countries.

I am aware of OIC current situation, what I am proposing it is using the existing platform to do something that OIC obviously does not do currently.

Bangladesh can offer many things, if there is proper investment, such as:
- ship building
- aircraft maintenance
in addition to small arms, ammo and army uniform.

We also have a small defense budget for importing arms, so we could use that budget to buy from this complex instead of importing directly from China or Russia or other countries.

Sir tell me about your ship building capabilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom