Obama Pentagon official says anti-Trump military coup now possible

Zibago

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Obama Pentagon official says anti-Trump military coup now possible
/ 1 Comment

A former Defense Department official under the Obama administration has raised the specter of a military coup to remove President Donald Trump from power.

In an editorial penned for Foreign Policy, senior Pentagon policy official Rosa Brooks publicly suggested a military insurrection against the Trump administration may be the only option to oust one of the most divisive presidents in American history.

“Donald Trump’s first week as president has made it all too clear: Yes, he is as crazy as everyone feared,” Ms. Brooks wrote. “[One] possibility is one that until recently I would have said was unthinkable in the United States of America: a military coup, or at least a refusal by military leaders to obey certain orders.”

For the first time in her career in public service, including three years as senior counselor to the Pentagon’s policy chief from 2009 to 2011, “I can imagine plausible scenarios in which senior military officials might simply tell the president: ‘No, sir. We’re not doing that.’”

Rose Brooks‘ editorial comes as a recent poll by Public Policy Polling group found that 40 percent of registered voters support Mr. Trump’s impeachment.

In addition, 52 percent of voters polled said they would rather have President Obama in the Oval Office, opposed to the 43 percent who support the Trump presidency.
http://nation.com.pk/international/05-Feb-2017/obama-pentagon-official-says-anti-trump-military-coup-now-possibl
@django @Moonlight @The Eagle @Hell hound @User
Ye Obama kay supporters ghaur janhori rawiya apnaye hoyein hain hamain mandate mila hay :D

Yeah I wouldn't be afraid if an army of liberal fruitcakes would try to make a coup against me.

All hush hush will end within a month or two..
Actually it is just the start. Trump has antagonised scientists; some of the smartest and most educated people in any society. We know how to collect large amounts of relevant information and convey it efficiently.
March for Science to unite researchers against Trump
Scientists fight back against Trump
Trump's moves against science raise fears of damage to economy

So far, that's Mexicans, EU, NATO, Muslims, Chinese and scientists that Trump has antagonised.

I foresee no chance for coup however there is some possibility about his impeachment

But in my humble opinion he will resign after 2 years citing his health condition as there will be immense deadlock between his madness/racist approach and other American institutions and he will be under immense pressure from military to devise such policy that will not compromise America's interests... he of course want to see America great again but the steps he is taking so far, if such trend continued... he will resign in 2 years

There is no chance of a coup. That's not how things work here. Impeachment is a remote possibility though. His biggest worry, however, is the election coming up in four years.

In modern times a president gets 8 years no problem. One reason is incumbents have massive resources. Another reason is incumbents are seen as more experienced. Heck, even if Kirsten Gillibrand runs in 2020, Donald Trump would still easily win.

Not exactly. George W. Bush faced a close reelection contest. Obama's was fairly competitive as well. George H.W. Bush lost his, despite winning easily four years earlier. Ford and Carter couldn't win, either. Bill Clinton's elections would have been a lot closer too if Ross Perot wasn't on the ballot. Elections like 1964, 1972, and 1984 are still more of an exception than the norm.

Keep in mind that Trump lost the popular vote, and did so by a wider margin than George W. Bush in 2000. And he won three critical states (Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin) by a margin of less than 1%. Flip those three states alone, and he loses. Trump will not easily win reelection. And the way things are going, he'll be lucky if he wins at all.

Actually it is just the start. Trump has antagonised scientists; some of the smartest and most educated people in any society. We know how to collect large amounts of relevant information and convey it efficiently.
March for Science to unite researchers against Trump
Scientists fight back against Trump
Trump's moves against science raise fears of damage to economy

So far, that's Mexicans, EU, NATO, Muslims, Chinese and scientists that Trump has antagonised.

And Australian too

By modern times I mean since the invention of internet. Unless the economy tanks like in 1992, a president gets 8 years. George W Bush did far better in 2004 compared to in 2000, having won the popular vote.

My point still stands:

"Bill Clinton's elections would have been a lot closer too if Ross Perot wasn't on the ballot."

"Keep in mind that Trump lost the popular vote, and did so by a wider margin than George W. Bush in 2000. And he won three critical states (Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin) by a margin of less than 1%. Flip those three states alone, and he loses. Trump will not easily win reelection. And the way things are going, he'll be lucky if he wins at all."

I know a thing or two about current US politics, especially electoral politics, and Trump's reelection chances are probably the worst of any President in recent history.

^^^All that really needs to be said. There will yet again be another peaceful transfer of power in either 4 or 8 years like there always has been in the United States of America.

Exactly. Some people have no idea how the US government works, or of its history. The armed forced stay out of politics completely. The only thing that could get in the way of him running for reelection is impeachment, but even that is unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom