What's new

Obama Administration Presses Pakistan to Fight Taliban

Hulk

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/08/world/asia/08policy.html?hp
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is turning up the pressure on Pakistan to fight the Taliban inside its borders, warning that if it does not act more aggressively the United States will use considerably more force on the Pakistani side of the border to shut down Taliban attacks on American forces in Afghanistan, American and Pakistani officials said.

The blunt message was delivered in a tense encounter in Pakistan last month, before President Obama announced his new war strategy, when Gen. James L. Jones, Mr. Obama’s national security adviser, and John O. Brennan, the White House counterterrorism chief, met with the heads of Pakistan’s military and its intelligence service.

United States officials said the message did not amount to an ultimatum, but rather it was intended to prod a reluctant Pakistani military to go after Taliban insurgents in Pakistan who are directing attacks in Afghanistan.

For their part the Pakistanis interpreted the message as a fairly bald warning that unless Pakistan moved quickly to act against two Taliban groups they have so far refused to attack, the United States was prepared to take unilateral action to expand Predator drone attacks beyond the tribal areas and, if needed, to resume raids by Special Operations forces into the country against Al Qaeda and Taliban leaders.

One senior administration official, when asked about the encounter, declined to go into details. But he added quickly, “I think they read our intentions accurately.”

A Pakistani official who has been briefed on the meetings said, “Jones’s message was if that Pakistani help wasn’t forthcoming, the United States would have to do it themselves.”

The security demands followed an offer of a broader strategic relationship and expanded nonmilitary economic aid from the United States. Pakistan’s politically weakened president, Asif Ali Zardari, replied in writing to a two-page letter that General Jones delivered by hand from Mr. Obama. But Mr. Zardari gave no indication of how Pakistan would respond to the incentives, which were linked to the demands for greatly stepped-up counterterrorism actions.

“We’ve offered them a strategic choice,” one administration official said, describing the private communications. “And we’ve heard back almost nothing.”

The Pakistani official, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the confidentiality of the meetings, agreed with the American assessment, adding, “We’re at a fork in the road.”

Asked on Monday about the exchange, Tommy Vietor, a White House spokesman, said, “We have no comment on private diplomatic correspondence. As the president has said repeatedly, we will continue to partner with Pakistan and the international community to enhance the military, governance and economic capacity of Afghanistan and Pakistan.”

The implicit threat of not only ratcheting up the drone strikes but also launching more covert American ground raids would mark a substantial escalation of the administration’s counterterrorism campaign.

American Special Operations forces attacked Qaeda militants in a Pakistani village near the border with Afghanistan in early September 2008, in the first publicly acknowledged case of United States forces conducting a ground raid on Pakistani soil.

But the raid caused a political furor in Pakistan, with the country’s top generals condemning the attack, and the United States backed off what had been a planned series of such strikes.

During his intensive review of Pakistan and Afghanistan strategy, officials say, Mr. Obama concluded that no amount of additional troops in Afghanistan would succeed in their new mission if the Taliban could retreat over the Pakistani border to regroup and resupply. But the administration has said little about the Pakistani part of the strategy.

“We concluded early on that whatever you do with Pakistan, you don’t want to talk about it much,” one of the president’s senior aides said last week. “All it does is get backs up in Islamabad.”

During his speech at West Point last week, Mr. Obama said that “our success in Afghanistan is inextricably linked to our partnership with Pakistan.” But for the rest of the speech he referred to country in the past tense, talking about how “there have been those in Pakistan who’ve argued that the struggle against extremism is not their fight, and that Pakistan is better off doing little or seeking accommodation with those who use violence.”

He never quite said how his administration views the Pakistanis today, and two officials said that Mr. Obama used that construction in an effort not to alienate the current government or the army, led by Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani.

Even before Mr. Obama announced his decision last week, the White House had approved an expansion of the C.I.A.’s drone program in Pakistan’s lawless tribal areas. But Pakistani officials, wary of civilian casualties and the appearance of further infringement of national sovereignty, are still in discussions with American officials over whether to allow the C.I.A. to expand its missile strikes into Baluchistan for the first time — a politically delicate move because it is outside the tribal areas. American commanders say this is necessary because Mullah Omar, the Taliban leader who ran Afghanistan before the 2001 invasion, and other Taliban leaders are hiding in Quetta, the capital of Baluchistan Province.

Pakistani officials also voice concern that if the Pakistani Army were to aggressively attack the two groups that most concern the United States — the Afghan Taliban leaders and the Haqqani network based in North Waziristan — the militants would respond with waves of retaliatory bombings, further undermining the weak civilian government.

Publicly, senior American officials and commanders take note of that concern. “There are limits to how fast we can expect or perhaps demand that Pakistan can take certain action,” Gen. David H. Petraeus, the commander of United States Central Command, told National Public Radio on Friday. “You can only stick so many short sticks into hornets’ nests at one time.”

But in recent visits to Pakistan, senior administration officials have brought a much tougher message.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton arrived in Pakistan in late October with offers of a strategic partnership.

General Jones followed Mrs. Clinton to Pakistan two weeks later carrying more sticks than carrots, American and Pakistani officials said.

Most welcome, they are getting their bodies from Afghanistan whereas if the troops come to Pakistan they won't even be able to get the dead bodies back.

Pakistan is not Iraq nor Afghanistan.

How about drone attacks and blackwater?

How about drone attacks and blackwater?

As far as Blackwater is concerned they are not involved directly in attacking Pakistanis.
Drones are with the consent of the GOP.

But any boots on the ground and dreams of hot pursuits will prove to be devastating. US can not afford to open another front at this time and they know it, such statements are only pressure tactics. Don't take them too seriously

they can't control the Taliban in Afghanistan, can't control the 70% territory and talking about taking action here in Pakistan, that shows how much frustrated they are and what their true intentions are. Afghanistan is just a show off, their real intention is to destroy Pakistan.

Would have been more helpful if they had first taken some concrete steps & actions in Afghanistan, then coming to Pakistan and ask for help.

Sigh.. most troublesome don't you think, but I really doubt your country will do anything considering the fact we have the leverage over Kerry-Lugar Bill Aid assisstance, and also the strategic partnership you need so much, don't think that you U.S won't pull the plug on the 18 new F-16 block 52, just like we did in the 80-90's with 40 F-16s you purchased for 600 million now it's parked in some U.S air base collected rust, and we also have our leverage over Turkey to not give you the MLU upgrades for your current F-16 fleet.. Yeah, I'm just being frank, I already know what my Country is doing and it makes me sick in ways, controlling Persian Gulf, the flow of trade through the Straight of Homuz. Also now having a geologitcal footing in soon to be next wealthiest region in the world CENTRAL ASIA :D.. Pakistan and Afghanistan is the key corridors between Central Asia and to Western Europe. Yeah, I know all about it, don't think that all Americans are RightWing-Conservatives, and Pro-Zionist..

Last edited:
Oops, I forgot to add something yeah Afghanistan, country which ends Empires the Greeks, the Arabs, Mongols, British, the Soviets, and now the U.S..

-Our greed and our loathsome manifest to imperialise the world can only go so far, we are not Gods' we are just human..

Sigh.. most troublesome don't you think, but I really doubt your country will do anything considering the fact we have the leverage over Kerry-Lugar Bill Aid assisstance, and also the strategic partnership you need so much, don't think that you U.S won't pull the plug on the 18 new F-16 block 52, just like we did in the 80-90's with 40 F-16s you purchased for 600 million now it's parked in some U.S air base collected rust, and we also have our leverage over Turkey to not give you the MLU upgrades for your current F-16 fleet.. Yeah, I'm just being frank, I already know what my Country is doing and it makes me sick in ways, controlling Persian Gulf, the flow of trade through the Straight of Homuz. Also now having a geologitcal footing in soon to be next wealthiest region in the world CENTRAL ASIA :D.. Pakistan and Afghanistan is the key corridors between Central Asia and to Western Europe. Yeah, I know all about it, don't think that all Americans are RightWing-Conservatives, and Pro-Zionist..

You really think that $ 7.5 billion, 18 F-16's and MLU from turkey will make us sit quiet and let the Americans attack us ? :rofl::rofl:

Attacking Pakistan will be attacking their own supply line, it will be suicidal attacking a Nuclear power with an Army of 600,000.

Without the help of Pakistan the Americans can't even exit Afghanistan gracefully.

These are only pressure tactics, don't take them seriously.

For their part the Pakistanis interpreted the message as a fairly bald warning that unless Pakistan moved quickly to act against two Taliban groups they have so far refused to attack, the United States was prepared to take unilateral action to expand Predator drone attacks beyond the tribal areas and, if needed, to resume raids by Special Operations forces into the country against Al Qaeda and Taliban leaders.

Original article :

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/08/world/asia/08policy.html?_r=1&hp

Ohh yeah the fear in every Pakistani, that the Israeli MOSAD,CIA, and our subsidiary RAW agents try to take control of your countries nuclear assets, to me personally is not possible, I've read my share of your Nuclear Command Authority, and Strategic Force Command and have some personnal contacts in Pakistan.. So your safe in that category. To another segment you should protest to your Government why are they selling your countrys sovereignty to fill their Swiss bank accounts, Protest outside Xe establishments in Pakistan and outside the U.S embassy, call upon the CIA drone attacks to stop, they already have bases established in your country..Or call upon Pervez Musharraf probably the best thing that happened to your Country since Muhammad Ali Jinnah, Zia Ul-haq, OHH yeah, I know my share of history..

I never said, the U.S to attack Pakistan I don't vote for any politician in the U.S it's clearly suicidal =/...Ohh, let me tell you something our defense systems are so sophisticated that if Moscow were to launch an ICBM to NewYork, it would be intercepted with THAAD missile 8 minutes before impact.. We already have our defense establishments around the Middle East, and Israel safe do the Patriot System and their own SPYDER system.. But you can do me favor and take em out, I'm not for the Zionist Regime I hate the their lobby in our government, and their reign over this world..

Ohh noone said were taking over your country, were just go into FATA region and take them out personnally, who said were going to March onto your capital.

You really think that $ 7.5 billion, 18 F-16's and MLU from turkey will make us sit quiet and let the Americans attack us ? :rofl::rofl:

Attacking Pakistan will be attacking their own supply line, it will be suicidal attacking a Nuclear power with an Army of 600,000.

Without the help of Pakistan the Americans can't even exit Afghanistan gracefully.

These are only pressure tactics, don't take them seriously.

Its never gonna be a full on attack or a response for that matter. Each side is smart enough not to engage in that. The US considers covert missions using special forces only. They dare not risk a pile of dead soldiers while PA knows better on keeping the covert operations as covert.

As far as Blackwater is concerned they are not involved directly in attacking Pakistanis.
Drones are with the consent of the GOP.

But any boots on the ground and dreams of hot pursuits will prove to be devastating. US can not afford to open another front at this time and they know it, such statements are only pressure tactics. Don't take them too seriously

but we have seen many complaints from pak gov about these drone attacks. also, blackwater is accusedd of so many things in pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom