Nuke radiation fear grips Gulf

Arabian Legend

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Gazette - Nuke radiation fear grips Gulf

Fatima Muhammad
Saudi Gazette

JEDDAH – Concerns of Gulf Arab states over Iran’s controversial Bushehr nuclear plant once again came to the fore as a powerful earthquake struck close to the nuclear power station Tuesday, killing at least 32 people and injuring 800 as it devastated small villages.

“We have been repeatedly saying that such a reactor is totally undesirable in the region. The Bushehr reactor is closer to some Gulf states than it is to Iran’s capital Tehran,” Hussein Al-Qahtani, spokesman of the Presidency of Meteorology and Environment (PME), told Saudi Gazette.

The magnitude 6.3 earthquake struck Tuesday afternoon about 96 km southeast of the Iranian coastal city of Bushehr, where the country’s only nuclear power station is located. The city is located 240 km from Jubail and 280 km from Al-Khobar.

fp02_big.jpg

Residents in the Eastern Province gather on streets in front of their offices following tremors, Tuesday afternoon.

A report published last week by US think-tanks Carnegie Endowment and the Federation of American Scientists said that “ominously” the Bushehr reactor sits at the intersection of three tectonic plates.

“Iran’s sole nuclear power plant is not at risk of a tsunami similar in size to the one that knocked out the electricity and emergency cooling systems at Fukushima. But, repeated warnings about the threat of earthquakes for the Bushehr nuclear plant appear to have fallen on deaf ears,” the report said.

Iran told the UN’s International Atomic Energy Agency that the earthquake did not damage the Bushehr nuclear power plant, the IAEA said.

“Iran has informed (the IAEA’s Incident and Emergency Center) of the event, reporting that there has been no damage to the Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant and no radioactive release from the installation,” the UN agency said in a statement.

Tuesday’s quake coincided with Iran unveiling a uranium production facility and two extraction mines in center of the country.

Shocks from the quake were also felt across the Gulf in Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, provoking panic and the brief evacuation of some office towers, residents and media said.

Tremors also struck the eastern coast of Saudi Arabia creating panic among people in the coastal cities of Jubail, Al-Khobar and Dammam as well as in other areas in the Eastern Province. There were no reports of casualties and damage in the 4.1-5.3 magnitude quake.

The Royal Commission for Jubail and Yanbu evacuated more than 1500 employees from its headquarters building. The Industrial Security Division at the Commission swung into action for the evacuation as part of its plan to deal with emergency situations.

SABIC, Kayan, Sadara and other major companies also evacuated their staff from their high rise buildings.

The Civil Defense Department also received several calls from local residents about the tremors but there were no calls regarding any casualties or damage to properties.

According to eyewitnesses, some buildings were evacuated in Al-Khobar and people ran out of their houses.

Tareq Abal Khail, spokesman of the Saudi Geological Survey, told Saudi Gazette that the quake hit the region and its impact was less than medium as it was far away from the epicenter of the quake.

Hani Zahran, chairman of the National Center for Earthquakes and Volcanoes, said that there were at least nine aftershocks after 2 p.m Tuesday.
“However, they did not result in any death or injuries and there were also no reports about damage to properties.

“What really happened was that people felt some shocks and tremors,” he told Saudi Gazette. “We are in contacts with Civil Defense officials and are always coordinating with them on such occasions.”

In Dubai, hundreds of kilometers down the Gulf from Bushehr and home to the world’s tallest building, Burj Khalifa, local media reported that several high-rise buildings were briefly evacuated.

“We felt a mild earthquake in Dubai a while ago. Chandeliers were shaking,” Tweeted one resident.

There were no reports that Burj Khalifa, which stands at 828 metres (2,717 feet) high, had been evacuated.

Residents also said there were some evacuations in Bahrain.

In nearby Abu Dhabi, one resident said: “I was watching television when suddenly the whole building started shaking. It was very scary.”

In Doha, some buildings were evacuated, residents said.

Offices in Qatar and Bahrain were evacuated after the quake, whose epicenter was 89 km (55 miles) southeast of the port of Bushehr, according to the US Geological Survey.

Iranian media reports said search and rescue teams accompanied by security forces were dispatched to the quake hit area home to some 12,000 inhabitants, to which telephone connection and electricity had been cut.

Tents, blankets and food have also been sent to the area, the Fars news agency reported.

Iran sits astride several major fault lines and is prone to frequent earthquakes, some of which have been devastating.

A double earthquake, one measuring 6.2 and the other 6.0, struck northwest Iran in August last year, killing more than 300 people and injuring 3,000.

In December 2010, a big quake struck the southern city of Bam. It killed 31,000 people – about a quarter of the population – and destroyed the city’s ancient mud-built citadel. – With agencies

Of course the earthquake would raise a lot of concerns ,namely the GCC States. Iran should provide some guarantees that the reactor won't jeopardize the whole region. It's good for them and us.

Of course the earthquake would raise a lot of concerns ,namely the GCC States. Iran should provide some guarantees that the reactor won't jeopardize the whole region. It's good for them and us.

Oh come on you're just trolling them ! :omghaha:

You are seriously not telling me that they got scared of something that is located inside iranian territory. Brave people :omghaha:.

This was a medium scale Earth Quake! Anything larger than this would have larger negative impact on the whole region! Iran must be put Under pressure to have its N.plants checked by IAEA

You are seriously not telling me that they got scared of something that is located inside iranian territory. Brave people :omghaha:.

Oh yes not everyone is brave like you, does not afraid of radiation!

Radioactive water and wind doesn't understand or care for national borders.

Oh yes not everyone is brave like you, does not afraid of radiation!

Radioactive water and wind doesn't understand or care for national borders.

The facility is deep inside Iran. Never heard of a reactor gone critical due to an earthquake. That profile pic of yours really suits your statement.

Yesterday, everyone in Dubai came out of their buildings except people in our locality!

SOmebody called and said, earthquake!!! I said yeah its in Iran, sad to hear. He said no, there have been tremors here as well!

For the topic, I dont think this should be raising too much concerns, more than GCC states, don't you think that Iran would be much more worried about the safety of the reactor?

Yesterday, everyone in Dubai came out of their buildings except people in our locality!

SOmebody called and said, earthquake!!! I said yeah its in Iran, sad to hear. He said no, there have been tremors here as well!

For the topic, I dont think this should be raising too much concerns, more than GCC states, don't you think that Iran would be much more worried about the safety of the reactor?

No one in dubai came out for no imaginary earthquake. But the two days of rain were nice.

The facility is deep inside Iran. Never heard of a reactor gone critical due to an earthquake. That profile pic of yours really suits your statement as you both are nuts.

Refer to a map before making such claims.

2zz87pj.jpg

The Nuclear plant is operational, so I don't know what you mean by "reactor gone critical due to earthquake". Earthquakes can damage nuclear plants, structurally, which can cause radiation leak.

Before asking guarantees to Iran about Bushehr :
1/ maybe it is convenient and somewhat human to say RIP to the people before asking guarantee
2/ the earthquake is not so important . Fact is the region is poor and the buildings are not made to resist even this earthquake.

good journalism :
Earthquake hits near Iran's Bushehr nuclear plant - Telegraph
Atomstroyexport, the Russian company that built the Bushehr plant, Iran’s only nuclear power station, said the quake had been felt there but operations were as normal.
“The earthquake in no way affected the normal situation at the reactor. Personnel continue to work in the normal regime and radiation levels are fully within the norm,

Refer to a map before making such claims.

2zz87pj.jpg

The Nuclear plant is operational, so I don't know what you mean by "reactor gone critical due to earthquake". Earthquakes can damage nuclear plants, structurally, which can cause radiation leak.

Most of the power plants nowadays incorporate measures to minimise damage against earthquakes. I think iran must have considered such measures in their plants to prevent something like this to happen. To me it is just an over reaction by some news agencies. If you are talking about dangers of nuclear power then they are always present.

I would advise an unbiased news site.

By critical i was trying to say in a critical or bad condition.

The tremors were felt even in Eastern parts of KSA namely Khobar region. Magnitude was said to be 2 - 2.5

Amazing! Only the US allies in Mid East who have been orchestrating a campaign against Iran's nuclear program have a fear of radiation.

Back
Top Bottom