What's new

None the Rapists convicted in 5 years !

ISLAMABAD: Zero. That is the conviction rate for rape cases filed over the last five years in Pakistan, according to Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) Senator Syeda Sughra Imam. Speaking before the Senate Standing Committee on Law and Justice, the senator said the dismal statistics led her to move a bill to amend existing laws on the issue.

The committee met under the chairmanship of the PPP’s Senator Kazim Khan for a roundtable discussion with representatives from bar councils. “We will first determine why the conviction rate is zero and whether [it is something inherent] in the laws, the judiciary or the legal procedure itself,” Senator Kazim told The Express Tribune on Sunday. “In my opinion, the stages of legal procedure, investigation and trial require comprehensive legislation,” said Senator Imam.

According to the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan’s (HRCP) 2013 report, 2,576 cases of rape were registered in Punjab in 2013 – the highest among all provinces. According to official records, 127 cases of rape and three cases of gang-rape were registered in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa last year, whereas 27 cases of gang-rape were reported in Sindh. The conviction rate in cases of sexual and other violence against women remained critically low and on December 13, female senators staged a walkout from the Senate to protest the lack of convictions.

According to a research study by Rutgers World Population Foundation (WPF) in Dera Ghazi Khan, Muzaffargarh, Jacobabad, Kashmore, Jaffarabad, and Naseerabad districts, 66 per cent of women interviewed said that they had experienced sexual violence, whereas 93 per cent said that they had been subjected to marital rape.

Imam suggests that amendments be made to Article 218A of the Constitution, which deals with defective investigation. As per her proposed amendment, “Whoever being a public servant, entrusted with the investigation of a case, registered under section 376 of the Pakistan Penal Code, fails to carry out the investigation properly and in breach of his duties, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.”

Imam suggested that amending Article 228A of the Constitution, which deals with the disclosure of the rape victim’s identity, would include a new section stating, “Whoever prints or publishes the name or any matter which may make known the identity of any person against whom an offence under Section 376 is alleged or found to have been committed (hereafter in this section referred to as ‘the victim’) shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to three years and shall also be liable to fine.”

Zero-conviction rate for rape: Senator proposes constitutional changes – The Express Tribune

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this the reason why rape cases are not reported that often in Pakistan and members like Windjammer can take a cheap shot on Indian cases where not only they are reported but people are convicted to death penalty?

2500 + rapes in Punjab only and that too reported!! 8 rapes daily!!

Pakistan seriously need to change the rules/process to bring justice to womenkind.

To all pakistani members, what you think your judicial system is lagging in convicting all these rapists? And what shall be the changes to be implemented to curb this fallacy?

@Contrarian @notsuperstitious @Hyperion @Armstrong @hinduguy @JonAsad @arp2041 @BDforever @Ayush @cheekybird @Akheilos @levina @Koovie @nair @Zarvan @third eye @qamar1990 @VCheng @IND151 @Reviewer21 @GURU DUTT @Chinese-Dragon @Azlan Haider and others.

Sometime back few Indian members had made a raucous over how the amended rape law 2013 of India was being used to report false rape cases.
From what I've gleaned having stricter laws which sympathizes towards women atleast help in getting more rape cases reported. I am not sure if thats happening in Pakistan. The conviction rate on both the sides of border are low...but I didnt expect a zero conviction rate in Pakistan ....i mean seriously???
And if you ask me what can be done? Then frankly I dont have an answer.
Change in attitude towards women perhaps...though it might take eons to get to that stage.

Akheilos said:
Where is that cry baby Indian who was telling me Indians dont flood Pakistani related thread :pop:
Look who is talking!!!
Hon heard of "pot calling kettle black"??? :coffee:

I would love to see you say that to @levina when she pointed the same out to me!
Yaaawn!
Ostensibly whenever you run out of words you mention me.
You've been spamming my notifications for sometime now,next time you do that I will have to complain it to the admin.

So you see that as a measuring???? Well it is a simple way to say things are not good in country either..... (or let me put bluntly we are not saints either).... Does it make any sense now???? But you are welcome to draw your own conclusion or perception....

But let us not discuss it further as that is not the subject is being discussed.....
As always banging your head against a wall ?? are you???

Last edited:
Sometime back few Indian members had made a raucous over how the amended rape law 2013 of India was being used to report false rape cases.
From what I've gleaned having stricter laws which sympathizes towards women atleast help in getting more rape cases reported. I am not sure if thats happening in Pakistan. The conviction rate on both the sides of border are low...but I didnt expect a zero conviction rate in Pakistan ....i mean seriously???
And if you ask me what can be done? Then frankly I dont have an answer.
Change in attitude towards women perhaps...though it might take eons to get to that stage.

There is huge rape problem in India, and that thing need to be removed. And I not against on that amendment, but we cant just sit in home and say there is no abuse of law, and close the eye on that.

I think special medical center is required in India, in every city or town, where there is specialized female medical officer in there to do the medical checkup. And give them a series of procedure to medical officer and police, to how to respect the victim, and how to take its statement and how to do its medical checkup.

But, I think, if the medical officer give goahead that this is the case of rape, then Police can arrest the man, but before the prima facie, its not right to arrest the man,

@levina. And one thing, if the conviction rate is too much high, like say 95-100%, is doesnt means you doing well. It means you convicting all the people, innocent or guilty, doesnt matter.

Last edited:
There is huge rape problem in India, and that thing need to be removed. And I not against on that amendment, but we cant just sit in home and say there is no abuse of law, and close the eye on that.

I think special medical center is required in India, in every city or town, where there is specialized female medical officer in there to do the medical checkup. And give them a series of procedure to medical officer and police, to how to respect the victim, and how to take its statement and how to do its medical checkup.

But, I think, if the medical officer give goahead that this is the case of rape, then Police can arrest the man, but before the prima facie, its not right to arrest the man,
Even after so many brutal rapes that get reported we are still talking about the cure but not doung anything to prevent it.
Dont misunderstand me,i dont mean that every gal on the street should be given a bodyguard,but that our society has to change its attitude towards women.

kaku1 said:
@levina. And one thing, if the conviction rate is too much high, like say 95-100%, is doesnt means you doing well. It means you convicting all the people, innocent or guilty, doesnt matter.

Well....according to the data, the small northeastern state of Manipur recorded a 100% conviction rate in rape trials in 2011.
It could mean no false rape cases got reported that year,or that the innocent and guilty were punished alike.

Even after so many brutal rapes that get reported we are still talking about the cure but not doung anything to prevent it.
Dont misunderstand me,i dont mean that every gal on the street should be given a bodyguard,but that our society has to change its attitude towards women.

Well....according to the data, the small northeastern state of Manipur recorded a 100% conviction rate in rape trials in 2011.
It could mean no false rape cases got reported that year,or that the innocent and guilty were punished alike.

Exactly. The task is not easy though.

For changing attitude, you need even more large scale program, you need advertisement on channels and newspaper/ more importantly on local newspaper (ToI reader doesnt do these type of brutal rapes ). to create awareness in public. But still it takes time, maybe decade, you cant change a perception of a society in a night. Till then cure and fear is the best solution.

Well I doesnt know that there is such high conviction rate in our eastern states, but such high conviction rate is also not so good, that means not a single incident of false reporting, and I doesnt believe that.

If you have a 50-60% conviction rate then its good, but 100%, it doenst fit in our legal system.

Last edited:
For changing attitude, you need even more large scale program, you need advertisement on channels and newspaper/ more importantly on local newspaper (ToI reader doesnt do these type of brutal rapes ). to create awareness in public. But still it takes time, maybe decade, you cant change a perception of a society in a night. Till then cure and fear is the best solution.
Now we dont have decades to stop the kind of brutal rapes thats happening or do we???
The solution is do what you can with what you have and where you are.
How many men would react if they see a gal is getting teased or getting commented upon in a college or on a street??
I didnt see men in a passport office react to a man who was shamelessly clicking a gal's pics without her consent..thats till I reported him after giving him a piece of my mind.
Now that was a public place, and I saw many observe what this guy was doing with his mobile camera,but none reacted.
Thats exactly where the problem starts,we dont react and address the smaller but more common offences.we turn a blind eye to such small incidents.
We react only to the brutal rapes that happen.

Now we dont have decades to stop the kind of brutal rapes thats happening or do we???
The solution is do what you can with what you have and where you are.
How many men would react if they see a gal is getting teased or getting commented upon in a college or on a street??
I didnt see men in a passport office react to a man who was shamelessly clicking a gal's pics without her consent..thats till I reported him after giving him a piece of my mind.
Now that was a public place, and I saw many observe what this guy was doing with his mobile camera,but none reacted.
Thats exactly where the problem starts,we dont react and address the smaller but more common offences.we turn a blind eye to such small incidents.
We react only to the brutal rapes that happen.
See, I again say the society required time, you and me cant change the whole situation in a day. Till then jus prey our legal system will prevail. And I am giving you reality, sometime we need to be practical rather than be emotional, emotions doesnt going to solve the situations.

Last edited:
Well I doesnt know that there is such high conviction rate in our eastern states, but such high conviction rate is also not so good, that means not a single incident of false reporting, and I doesnt believe that.

If you have a 50-60% conviction rate then its good, but 100%, it doenst fit in our legal system.

Statistics: Rape Conviction Rates Across India - India Real Time - WSJ
Towards the fag end of the article you will read about Manipur conviction rates.

A day before this thread was posted there was a thread about two men getting the death penalty for rape in Pakistan.. Zero convictions? o_O

Why. Dont you stop commenting on something you dont know?
Islam is know are way of life rather than just another religion, you know in India
oh sorry..I didn't know 160 million plus indian musims were fake.As I said,problems arise when one takes religion too seriously.

oh sorry..I didn't know 160 million plus indian musims were fake.As I said,problems arise when one takes religion too seriously.

Not exactly, but religion for most of the Indians (mainly Hindus) is not something which derives their whole social infrastructure. For them Religion is Personal Business, State should take tax and give us all facilities. State Laws are superior to what Religion taught.

(PS: This is my experience with most of the indians working here).

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom