What's new

No muslims please

mr42O

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Hindu : Arts / Magazine : No Muslims please!

03SM_MUMBAI_1101573f.jpg

Is Mumbai really as cosmopolitan as it is commonly perceived?

“Nah…how can this happen in Mumbai, that too with a Bollywood star?” I heard many people say when Emraan Hashmi reported that he was having difficulty in finding an apartment due to his faith. Then it was Shabana Azmi. “I wanted to buy a flat in Bombay and it wasn't given to me because I was a Muslim and I read the same about Saif (Ali Khan). Now, I mean, if Javed Akhtar and Shabana Azmi cannot get a flat in Bombay because they are Muslims, then what are we talking about?”

I've studied in Mumbai, stayed in a hostel and enjoyed the freedom to move about even in the late hours of night or wee hours of morning more or less safely. I come from the town of Udaipur, where everyone knows you and seems interested in your affairs. But, when need be, they would also go out of their way to help you. In Mumbai, I loved that people tended to mind their own business. Here, you could feel carefree and uncared for. But not discriminated. At least I thought so.

Years down the line, I've been sensitised towards professionals, students, families, strugglers and stars who have one tag in common — I am a Muslim. A couple of months back, my cousin, who is a pilot with Jet Airways, had his base assigned as Mumbai. He came, stayed at our place and I was sure he'd find a good flat on rent soon in the suburbs.

Daunting task

But it proved to be a much more trying task than we'd anticipated. Through various agents, he scanned Powai, Santacruz, Andheri Lokhandwala, Kandivali Lokhandwala, Thakur Complex (Kandivali), Thakur Village (Kandivali) and so on. The choice proved to be very limited for Muslims. Many more options were available in the same areas, through the same agents, for my sister-in-law (husband's sister), who is a Bengali Brahmin. Most of the agents are gracious enough to inform you at the start about the limited options. The more discreet ones politely shake their heads about the unavailability.

Post many agents and many rejections, my cousin finalised a flat in Kandivali Lokhandwala and gave the token amount. After much delay, it was returned as the society had refused to let a Muslim in, although the owner was ready.

Last week, we went to see a flat in a building complex in Thakur Complex, adjoining the highway, where the society didn't have a problem with a Muslim tenant. But the owner refused to lend it to a Muslim. Although my husband assured that he, a Marwadi, was his brother-in-law and our offices were located quite near that building, there was no convincing the owner.

More liberal place

I walked away from that building, thinking about my grandfather who was the only one to open his shop during the Partition riots in the majority-dominated locality. People from all communities loved him well enough to elect him the Vice Mayor and then Mayor of Udaipur. His wife, my grandma, was the one of the initiators of women's education in Rajasthan and served as the Vice President of the Rajasthan Branch of All India Women's Conference (AIWC), of which Maharani Gayatri Devi was the President, way back in 1952. Our family comprises Kayasth Hindus, Shia and Sunni Muslims, Punjabis, Marwadis Baniyas, Bohras…many of whom have considerable contribution in politics, social service, arts, wildlife, conservation, literature and education in India. We celebrate all festivals round the year. I was always told that the fabric of Indian society was rich with a profusion of languages, traditions and cultures woven over the ancient, medieval and modern ages. It was impossible to separate it thread by thread. Come to think of it, perhaps our little town of Udaipur is much more liberal at heart than many a cosmopolitan city. Perhaps the people of olden days were more liberal-minded than many a modern Indian.

Many societies in Mumbai, of which the majority flats are owned by business classes, have the unwritten rule of not allowing Muslims in. In the apartment complex where my in-laws live, one of the best in the Western Suburbs of Mumbai, there is not a single Muslim family. Even though initially the builders may sell flats to Muslims, once the society is formed, no more are allowed. This is not a general rule in all societies, of course, but a prevalent one.

Yes, there are Muslims, as well as other minority communities, who prefer to stay in ghettos. But I realise, with a heavy heart, that there are not many places for a liberal Muslim to go to. And aren't the majority communities making ghettoes for themselves by not letting the others in?

In Gokuldham society of the popular comedy serial “Tarak Mehta Ka Ulta Chashma”, there are Hindus, Sikhs, Christians, but not a single Muslim family (except a token Muslim small store owner). Perhaps that reflects the reality of many other building complexes in Mumbai. No Muslims Please!

arefatehsin@gmail.com

Keywords: Muslim community, Mumbai, cosmopolitan city

Read this article over the weekend - Felt pretty bad. Even if the owners want to allow the muslim tenants, the society stops it. There should be discriminatory laws brought in and made an example of couple of society office bearers.

The Hindu : Arts / Magazine : No Muslims please!

03SM_MUMBAI_1101573f.jpg

Is Mumbai really as cosmopolitan as it is commonly perceived?

“Nah…how can this happen in Mumbai, that too with a Bollywood star?” I heard many people say when Emraan Hashmi reported that he was having difficulty in finding an apartment due to his faith. Then it was Shabana Azmi. “I wanted to buy a flat in Bombay and it wasn't given to me because I was a Muslim and I read the same about Saif (Ali Khan). Now, I mean, if Javed Akhtar and Shabana Azmi cannot get a flat in Bombay because they are Muslims, then what are we talking about?”

I've studied in Mumbai, stayed in a hostel and enjoyed the freedom to move about even in the late hours of night or wee hours of morning more or less safely. I come from the town of Udaipur, where everyone knows you and seems interested in your affairs. But, when need be, they would also go out of their way to help you. In Mumbai, I loved that people tended to mind their own business. Here, you could feel carefree and uncared for. But not discriminated. At least I thought so.

Years down the line, I've been sensitised towards professionals, students, families, strugglers and stars who have one tag in common — I am a Muslim. A couple of months back, my cousin, who is a pilot with Jet Airways, had his base assigned as Mumbai. He came, stayed at our place and I was sure he'd find a good flat on rent soon in the suburbs.

Daunting task

But it proved to be a much more trying task than we'd anticipated. Through various agents, he scanned Powai, Santacruz, Andheri Lokhandwala, Kandivali Lokhandwala, Thakur Complex (Kandivali), Thakur Village (Kandivali) and so on. The choice proved to be very limited for Muslims. Many more options were available in the same areas, through the same agents, for my sister-in-law (husband's sister), who is a Bengali Brahmin. Most of the agents are gracious enough to inform you at the start about the limited options. The more discreet ones politely shake their heads about the unavailability.

Post many agents and many rejections, my cousin finalised a flat in Kandivali Lokhandwala and gave the token amount. After much delay, it was returned as the society had refused to let a Muslim in, although the owner was ready.

Last week, we went to see a flat in a building complex in Thakur Complex, adjoining the highway, where the society didn't have a problem with a Muslim tenant. But the owner refused to lend it to a Muslim. Although my husband assured that he, a Marwadi, was his brother-in-law and our offices were located quite near that building, there was no convincing the owner.

More liberal place

I walked away from that building, thinking about my grandfather who was the only one to open his shop during the Partition riots in the majority-dominated locality. People from all communities loved him well enough to elect him the Vice Mayor and then Mayor of Udaipur. His wife, my grandma, was the one of the initiators of women's education in Rajasthan and served as the Vice President of the Rajasthan Branch of All India Women's Conference (AIWC), of which Maharani Gayatri Devi was the President, way back in 1952. Our family comprises Kayasth Hindus, Shia and Sunni Muslims, Punjabis, Marwadis Baniyas, Bohras…many of whom have considerable contribution in politics, social service, arts, wildlife, conservation, literature and education in India. We celebrate all festivals round the year. I was always told that the fabric of Indian society was rich with a profusion of languages, traditions and cultures woven over the ancient, medieval and modern ages. It was impossible to separate it thread by thread. Come to think of it, perhaps our little town of Udaipur is much more liberal at heart than many a cosmopolitan city. Perhaps the people of olden days were more liberal-minded than many a modern Indian.

Many societies in Mumbai, of which the majority flats are owned by business classes, have the unwritten rule of not allowing Muslims in. In the apartment complex where my in-laws live, one of the best in the Western Suburbs of Mumbai, there is not a single Muslim family. Even though initially the builders may sell flats to Muslims, once the society is formed, no more are allowed. This is not a general rule in all societies, of course, but a prevalent one.

Yes, there are Muslims, as well as other minority communities, who prefer to stay in ghettos. But I realise, with a heavy heart, that there are not many places for a liberal Muslim to go to. And aren't the majority communities making ghettoes for themselves by not letting the others in?

In Gokuldham society of the popular comedy serial “Tarak Mehta Ka Ulta Chashma”, there are Hindus, Sikhs, Christians, but not a single Muslim family (except a token Muslim small store owner). Perhaps that reflects the reality of many other building complexes in Mumbai. No Muslims Please!

arefatehsin@gmail.com

Keywords: Muslim community, Mumbai, cosmopolitan city
I read the article over the weekend and felt like posting it here, but was using mobile that time. Hindu is very good newspaper and I will take it seriously. If this is really happening it is shameful. We should not discriminate like this, I initially thought there might be some odd places this might be happening, but looks like it is more widespread than we think.

Things like this hurt our country more than terrorism, we will have to fix problems like these if we really need to move up the ladder.

What i like here is Indians are not defending it like some of Pakistanies do. Good to see but hope we solve our problems in bother countries

A comment on this article:

Why are you taking it so personal...!!! In Mumbai Goregaon I will show you place where only Muslims are allowed .. Just go near that MTNL bridge which joins Goregaon west to east... Why dont you talk about that then... Such places are in Jogeshwari also !!!! You have not mention those Society names !!! why? My thinking is that Remove 'Religion' n 'Caste' 2 words from life... n you can see your life is more better than now... Coz then politicians wont get chance to do their dirty politics on those grounds!! Which they are doing from ancient times.... Shabana Azmi ji think !!! N please let me know your reply on my email !!! Hope this comment will come live !!! N you read this..... :)
Posted on: Jun 4, 2012 at 13:03 IST

Any Mumbaikar can comment on the above.

It is interest of political parties to keep the muslims in one place. So that they can be used as vote bank.
And also good for Indian security. It is well known fact that where are muslims, no peace.

They are so much in love with peace that they will take peace from others.

What i like here is Indians are not defending it like some of Pakistanies do. Good to see but hope we solve our problems in bother countries

correct, one must think above own ego, defend only what is justified and makes sense. This is called honesty and it gives credibility to one's opinion and character.

Ohh pls stop this BS...khans are enjoying n dominating Bollywood with multiple residences....shabana azmi was one such who speCulated about such things - DESPITE HAVING THREE HOUSES IN MUMBAI ALREADY....THIS IS A FARCE BY ISLAMISTS....ITS A SUBTERFUGE....

This is great.. i read article after article about Muslims finding it hard to find a place to live in some hindu dominated areas. Ok.. let some non-muslims go to muslim dominated areas like Bindi Bazaar, Sandhurst road or Muhammad Ali road in Mumbai, try & get a place there. Believe me.. you'l find it hard!! there are areas in every city dominated by one religion or another. But there are also areas in the same city where you'l find people from every community living in one locality!!

A comment on this article:

Any Mumbaikar can comment on the above.
U Dont know anything about Mumbai... there r Places like Bhindibajar in Mumbai... where Muslims leave in Community Doing all illegal things... these places r Taboo to Hindus & Christians ... u have got many Chor bajars in Masjid bandar , Grand road etc which is all Muslim Dominated Areas where they Still light Crackers When Pakistan Wins ... areas like Mumbra r worser... Even Police is afraid to Petrol these areas they have local Laws & Local Bhais logs ...

average Hindu sees Muslims from these area with eyes of Suspicion ... there r overwhelming Majority of Bangladeshis who involve in Drugs trafficking & Prostitution ... as u know 80% prostitutes in Mumbai r Bangladeshi immigrants ... they have group of pimps ... they never get along with people of other religion ... but most Ahmedis & Bhoris Muslims r from well off Families they get well with other Communities ... even Christians gets well mixed with local Hindu population ...

the Problem is that the Muslims Come to leave in Community they dont go well with other Community So ... others get Suspicious about them... most Muslims leave in Building built by Muslim builders where no other Community is allowed to stay ... Most Muslims prefer to leave in Groups in places where they have a muslim majority area Now what can a Hindu do about it...

Unless u get well with other population no 1 will accept u... let that Muslim, Hindu or Christian ...

Back
Top Bottom