What's new

Next Footsteps on Moon Will Be 'For All of America,' NASA Chief Says

F-22Raptor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
MOFFETT FIELD, Calif. — The next time NASA flies astronauts to the moon, more of us will go along for the ride.

The space agency plans to land two people near the lunar south pole by 2024, and at least one of those pioneers will be a woman. So the coming giant leap will be quite different than the Apollo moon missions, NASA chief Jim Bridenstine stressed.

The Apollo crewmembers were all white men, and most of them rose through the ranks of the U.S. military as fighter pilots or test pilots. (Apollo 17 moonwalker Harrison "Jack" Schmitt, a geologist, was a notable exception in this latter regard.)

"This time when we go to the moon, we go with, in fact, all of America, under the Artemis program," Bridenstine said yesterday (Aug. 26) during a Women's Equality Day event here at NASA's Ames Research Center.

The name of the new crewed moon program is itself a nod to this more diverse and inclusive NASA, Bridenstine said. In Greek mythology, Artemis is the goddess of the moon, and she's the twin sister of the sun god Apollo.

"I'll tell you why this is so important to me as the NASA administrator," Bridenstine said. "I have an 11-year-old daughter, and I want her to see herself as having all of the opportunities that I saw myself as having when I was growing up."

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) also spoke at yesterday's Ames event, and she voiced support for Artemis' bold ambitions.

"Mr. Administrator, you bring us honor by being here," Pelosi said to Bridenstine. "As far as having a woman step foot on the moon, our hopes are riding on you."

The composition of its astronaut corps isn't the only thing that will set Artemis apart from Apollo. Whereas the main goal of the original giant leap was beating the Soviet Union to the moon (thereby demonstrating the United States' technological supremacy over its Cold War rival), Artemis aims to establish a long-lasting, sustainable human presence on and around Earth's nearest neighbor.

NASA plans to achieve this objective, which will include the construction of a small moon-orbiting space station called the Gateway, by 2028. But even this accomplishment will not be an end in itself. NASA wants to use the moon as a proving ground — a place to learn and practice the skills needed to send astronauts to Mars, agency officials have said.

The Red Planet is the ultimate goal of NASA and the international human spaceflight community; the American space agency is working to get people there before the end of the 2030s.

"And when we go to Mars, yet again, we are going to have that very diverse, highly qualified astronaut corps," Bridenstine said. "And maybe, just maybe, the first person who ever walks on Mars will be a woman."

https://www.space.com/next-footsteps-moon-for-all-america-artemis.html

cool... for a moment there i thought we were gonna get another doze of yankie doodle fakery

LOL! According to the Chinese the pictures taken from their moon satellite prove the Apollo program was genuine.

https://web.archive.org/web/2013052...et.com/english/sci/2012-02/06/c_131393210.htm
China publishes high-resolution full moon map

“The scientists also spotted traces of the previous Apollo mission in the images, said Yan Jun, chief application scientist for China's lunar exploration project.”

Last edited:
LOL! According to the Chinese the pictures taken from their moon satellite prove the Apollo program was genuine.

https://web.archive.org/web/2013052...et.com/english/sci/2012-02/06/c_131393210.htm

“The scientists also spotted traces of the previous Apollo mission in the images, said Yan Jun, chief application scientist for China's lunar exploration project.”

Instead of LOL-ing, perhaps you should do better research.. the claims you're referring to were discredited at the time they were made.. as for the images, they're laughable as evidence of anything. No wonder you haven't linked to them.

They need to get that warp capability program going ASAP.

Instead of LOL-ing, perhaps you should do better research.. the claims you're referring to were discredited at the time they were made.. as for the images, they're laughable as evidence of anything. No wonder you haven't linked to them.

China discredited an article in Xinhua quoting their own Space program people?? What??

upload_2019-8-27_17-32-52.gif

Last edited:
if you're going to start talking like a moron.. i can't help you

Original old link (which is dead)
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/sci/2012-02/06/c_131393210.htm

Are you reading the link or not?????

131393210_11n.jpg
China on Monday published a set of full coverage of moon map and moon images with a resolution of seven meters captured by the country's second moon orbiter, the Chang'e-2. (Xinhua Photo

BEIJING, Feb. 6 (Xinhua) -- China on Monday published a full coverage map of the moon, as well as several high-resolution images of the celestial body, captured by the country's second moon orbiter, the Chang'e-2.

The map and images, released by the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence (SASTIND), are the highest-resolution photos of the entirety of the moon's surface to be published thus far, said Liu Dongkui, deputy chief commander of China's lunar probe project.

The images were photographed by a charge-coupled device (CCD) stereo camera on the Chang'e-2 from heights of 100 km and 15 km over the lunar surface between October 2010 and May 2011, according to a statement from SASTIND.

The resolution of the images obtained from Chang'e-2 is 17 times greater than those taken by the its predecessor, the Chang'e-1.

If there were airports and harbors on the moon, the Chang'e-1 could simply identify them, while the Chang'e-2 would be able to detect planes or ships inside of them, said Tong Qingxi, an academic from the Institute of Remote Sensing Applications under the Chinese Academy of Sciences.

The scientists also spotted traces of the previous Apollo mission in the images, said Yan Jun, chief application scientist for China's lunar exploration project.

Several countries, including the United States, have obtained lunar images with higher resolution, but have not published full-coverage images of the moon with a resolution of seven meters or greater, as China has done, Tong said.

Scientists have made adjustments to the original data to more accurately reflect the topographic and geomorphologic features of the moon, the SASTIND statement said.

Chang'e-2, named after a legendary Chinese moon goddess, was launched on Oct. 1, 2010.

In November 2010, Premier Wen Jiabao unveiled an image taken by the satellite of the moon's Sinus Iridum, or Bay of Rainbows, an area where the future Chang'e-3 moon probe may land.

The launch of the Chang'e-3 is scheduled for 2013, marking the first time for a Chinese spacecraft to land on the surface of an extraterrestrial body.

The photos of the possible landing site, combined with China's complete moon map, will provide basic data for the country's future moon landing missions, Tong said.

The images will also help scientists to understand the moon's geological structure, as well as give them information about the concentration and distribution of matter on the moon's surface, Yan said.

The satellite is currently orbiting the moon's second Lagrange Point (L2), located more than 1.5 million km away from Earth.

131393210_21n.jpg
China on Monday published a set of full coverage of moon map and moon images with a resolution of seven meters captured by the country's second moon orbiter, the Chang'e-2. (Xinhua Photo)

131393210_31n.jpg
China on Monday published a set of full coverage of moon map and moon images with a resolution of seven meters captured by the country's second moon orbiter, the Chang'e-2. (Xinhua Photo)

Another copy of the article here
http://www.china.org.cn/china/2012-02/06/content_24561343.htm

And here too
http://english.cas.cn/newsroom/china_research/201202/t20120207_81106.shtml

Last edited:
if you're going to start talking like a moron.. i can't help you
In past i assumed like you, but Fact is lots modern spacecrafts provide proves that indeed American landed on moon in late 60s, and behave this not Youtube where you can abuse anyone, you can be ban here @Morag

Last edited by a moderator:
In past i assumed like you, but Fact is lots modern spacecrafts provide proves that indeed American landed on moon in late 60s, and behave this not Youtube where you can abuse anyone, you should be ban here @Morag

The guy is obviously an ultra-blind Chinese nationalist if he even calls mainstream Chinese news sites “Fake News”.

The guy is obviously an ultra-blind Chinese nationalist if he even calls mainstream Chinese news sites “Fake News”.
No i think he is not but i think that he is conspiracy theorist from around the world that believed USA hadn't landed on the moon in late 60s, and @Morag like conspiracy theorist assumed that moon landings was filmed at Hollywood studios @Hamartia Antidote

Back
Top Bottom