What's new

New terms offered for a Turkish MEADS missile-defense system

what

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
ANKARA—The three-nation industry group that builds the Medium Extended Air Defense System is offering Turkey what looks like a customized partnership to construct the country’s first long-range air- and missile-defense system.

MEADS officials say the precise nature of their proposal would not be an off-the-shelf acquisition nor a co-production. “We are offering an open-architecture system that aims to take in already existing Turkish systems or help the Turkish industry develop systems to be integrated into the architecture,” said Mirko Niederkofler, director for international business development at MEADS. “This will offer unique opportunities to improve Turkish capabilities.”

After giving up on an earlier decision to acquire their country’s first long-range anti-missile system from a Chinese contractor, Turkey’s procurement authorities are now mulling over the potential purchase of the Medium Extended Air Defense System (MEADS).

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/new-terms-offered-for-a-turkish-meads-missile-defense-system

We are offering an open-architecture system that aims to take in already existing Turkish systems or help the Turkish industry develop systems to be integrated into the architecture,” said Mirko Niederkofler, director for international business development at MEADS. “This will offer unique opportunities to improve Turkish capabilities.
_____

This! :tup:

Turkey should go for it, if affordability is not an issue.

MEADS is a major leap from existing PAC systems and tests are promising.

Last edited:
ToT will be very limited, and I doubt this is what we want. They'll try to persuade T.C. that open architect system is more beneficial than developing our own system. And they'll not reduce the cost or anything, and limit how much knowledge we can gain. If anything we might learn how an integration of our missiles work. But that's quite an investment to make.

ToT will be very limited, and I doubt this is what we want. They'll try to persuade T.C. that open architect system is more beneficial than developing our own system. And they'll not reduce the cost or anything, and limit how much knowledge we can gain. If anything we might learn how an integration of our missiles work. But that's quite an investment to make.

I don't think you're right in this case. We need to fill the gap between now and the initial operation of our own system. In this context, this new offer seems to be very attractive to me. If I'm not mistaken, open architecture was one of our main demands during previous negotiations. Here they additionally offered to implement our existing system to a certain extent. But I'm still suspicious. It sounds too good to be true.

Back
Top Bottom