New HK textbook describes Filipinos as ‘domestic helper’

Dubious

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
BY E.J. CARLEON
– JUNE 1, 2014POSTED IN: PHILIPPINE NEWS, PHILIPPINES, WORLD, WORLD NEWS

MANILA, Philippines – Racial harmony or racial discrimination? This was the question raised by Hong Kong-based British blogger-activist Tony Grundy after a textbook for primary students describes Filipinos as a domestic helper.

“In case you are wondering about your destiny in Hong Kong, a primary textbook here is to enlighten you with this fun ‘fill-in-the-blank’ tasks entitled ‘racial harmony,’” Grundy wrote in his blogsiteHongwrong.com.

A photo was posted by Grundy saying the controversial page is going viral among Filipino parents in Hong Kong and among teacher forums online. The “Racial Harmony” activity in the book published by Singaporean Educational Publishing House Ltd. is supposedly asking Primary 4 schoolers to fill in the blanks the appropriate nationality for the description given.

For the description “I am an English teacher”, the supposedly correct answer is British.

For “I have a sushi restaurant in Hong Kong”, the correct answer is Japanese.

For “Shanghai is my hometown”, the answer is Chinese.

For “I study in an international school”, the answer is Indian.

And for “I am a domestic helper in Hong Kong”, one should write Filipino.

But it seems Filipinos are not the only victims of this abject discrimination by Hong Kong towards other nationality and the ethnic minority.

In the same blog, Tom Grundy posted hours later another worksheet he obtained from another website, The Sub-Standard, and purportedly approved by the Hong Kong government. This time it was a multicultural studies activity asking students to match the given statements to the correct minority group.

For the statement “I am a refugee in Hong Kong and could barely afford food”, the answer is Bangladeshi.

For “I work unlimited hours in debt bondage”, the answer is Indonesian.

For “I get stopped and searched by police every week”, the answer is Canadian.

For “I enrich your economy”, the answer is Chinese.

For “My school is segregated from the rest of the community”, the answer is Pakistani.

And for “I am paid peanuts to clear up your crap,” the answer is Filipino.

However, the authenticity of the last post is not yet verified if it was really a government-approved worksheet for Primary 4 knowing The Sub-Standard to be a satire website.

Nevertheless, Grundy said this interesting worksheet is rapidly causing an uproar online.

Majority of Hong Kong nationals are known for discriminating other nationalities, especially Filipino women who work as maid or domestic helpers. Their resentment for Filipinos took an even deeper root after the controversial Manila shooting incident where eight of Hong Kong tourists were killed and President Benigno Aquino III refused to apologize for years, before Mayor Joseph Estrada took the task last April.

This January, FIFA has slapped the Hong Kong Football Association with $30,000 penalty following the racial abuse by HK fans to Filipino fans during a friendly match last year. Hong Kong fans are accused of throwing plastic bottles to Philippine bench and called them “a slave nation.”

This is not also the first time Filipino women are called by a similar derogatory name. More than a decade ago, the Philippine government itself objected to a definition by a Greek dictionary of a Filipina not only as a woman from the Philippines, but also as a ‘maid’.

HK4-237x300.jpg

New HK textbook describes Filipinos as ‘domestic helper’ | Kicker Daily News

I am not sure if I was to laugh or be shocked :blink:

The textbook is suggesting that Filipinos are domestic helpers, a decent profession that is being looked down in Hong Kong. Well there's really nothing wrong with that, it only shows HK people rely heavily on our domestic helpers to help in their household chores. Of course only ignorant people don't know that Filipinos are global workers. In other countries Filipinos work as nurses,doctors,engineers, company managers, skilled workers and businessmen. It just happened that the author of this textbook was a semi-ignorant-fool.

LOOOL........ @BDforever

This is true though.....
ya had it said something negative about Indians...then I would love to have hear you talk about truth! :whistle:

Maybe you didnt get the article...Its called racial discrimination...wait that is just soo Indian so no wonder you can agree :whistle:

The textbook is suggesting that Filipinos are domestic helpers, a decent profession that is being looked down in Hong Kong. Well there's really nothing wrong with that, it only shows HK people rely heavily on our domestic helpers to help in their household chores. Of course only ignorant people don't know that Filipinos are global workers. In other countries Filipinos work as nurses,doctors,engineers, company managers, skilled workers and businessmen. It just happened that the author of this textbook was a semi-ignorant-fool.
Or maybe teaching a grade 4 to racially segregate or associate a race with something lets say like America used to stereotype Russians as spies/ terrorists and rough people...how? by show casing it in every of their films till the Arabs and Pakistanis took that place...

Brainwashing a child or narrowing down a profession by associating with something is called racial discrimination!

asking Primary 4 schoolers to fill in the blanks the appropriate nationality for the description given.

This time it was a multicultural studies activity asking students to match the given statements to the correct minority group.
These 2 key statements are almost applying that only such nationalities or when you see such nationalities only they work in such fields....

I am not sure how a primary 4 needs to be taught that at such a tender age!

The most fucked up shit i've came across recently.
This was funny though:

For “I get stopped and searched by police every week”, the answer is Canadian.

:ashamed: didnt know this about Canadians :unsure:

asians may get developed but they can never be civilized like whites

asians may get developed but they can never be civilized like whites
Interesting how once upon a time to cover up from the savage living in the forest was called civilized....now to remove your clothes is civilized :coffee:

Its nothing to do with civilized or not! Heck who decides what is civil? It changes from country to culture to era!

Interesting how once upon a time to cover up from the savage living in the forest was called civilized....now to remove your clothes is civilized :coffee:

Its nothing to do with civilized or not! Heck who decides what is civil? It changes from country to culture to era!

wtf are you blabbering on about

the second part is false, but the first part seems to be there in the textbook - he also posted a pic from a HK textbook about skin color and facial features of white, brown, black and yellow....kinda crazy to teach segregation and stereotyping to small kids.

Back
Top Bottom