What's new

New foreign policy focus on Pakistan NEXT 10 years after Af'stan.

VelocuR

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Despite the tensions in the relationship and complexities of the diplomatic-speak, the U.S. and Pakistan will continue to circle around each other. "I think we have to pay more attention, not less, to Pakistan," Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said. "I would guess that our number one foreign policy problem over the next 10 years will be Pakistan. It's nuclear. It's poor. It's ethnically divided and it's never had good leadership."

See last paragraph- GlobalPost: Pakistan had "full knowledge" of bin Laden raid - World Watch - CBS News

Pakistan deeply disappoint us again, a prime terrorist country obviously with the support of Army and ISI near Islamabad. Again, Pakistan is making fun of itself , some 'bad' insititutions make whole country down.

In my perspective, within ten years, I am certain US might invade Pakistan after Mideast unrest. Pakistan army doesn't have fully capable to stop it (ie. first drones attack after OBL, merceneries, covert operations, Navy Seal, Cloned Raymond Davis, possible sanctions, divide, etc) And probably seize all nuclear weapons. From cricket tampering to government to Military, from Jinnah to Zardari, from vibrating society to mullah society...

Kayani, Pasha and govt must face charge. If it doesnt' change in independent inquiry, Pakistanis protesters if second raids must start immediately to attack on corrupt Army and ISI. A re-new name for institutions is required. We don't trust GoP/Army's disastrous consequences statements anymore, they are totally idiots and foolish.

Please feel free to use reasonable arguments.

Note: Any senseless childish trolling would be report immediately and will ban permanently by Moderators, be wise! India not here, focus question on Pakistan.

nothing new in it ... you are focusing us since we came into being don't you remember the speech of israeli PM when Israel came into being ........

Despite the tensions in the relationship and complexities of the diplomatic-speak, the U.S. and Pakistan will continue to circle around each other. "I think we have to pay more attention, not less, to Pakistan," Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said. "I would guess that our number one foreign policy problem over the next 10 years will be Pakistan. It's nuclear. It's poor. It's ethnically divided and it's never had good leadership."

See last paragraph- GlobalPost: Pakistan had "full knowledge" of bin Laden raid - World Watch - CBS News

Pakistan deeply disappoint us again, a prime terrorist country obviously with the support of Army and ISI near Islamabad. Again, Pakistan is making fun of itself , some 'bad' insititutions make whole country down.

In my perspective, within ten years, I am certain US might invade Pakistan after Mideast unrest. Pakistan army doesn't have fully capable to stop it (ie. first drones attack after OBL, merceneries, covert operations, Navy Seal, Cloned Raymond Davis, possible sanctions, divide, etc) And probably seize all nuclear weapons. From cricket tampering to government to Military, from Jinnah to Zardari, from vibrating society to mullah society...

Kayani, Pasha and govt must face charge. If it doesnt' change in independent inquiry, Pakistanis protesters if second raids must start immediately to attack on corrupt Army and ISI. A re-new name for institutions is required. We don't trust GoP/Army's disastrous consequences statements anymore, they are totally idiots and foolish.

Note: Any senseless childish trolling would be report immediately and will ban permanently by Moderators, be wise! India not here, focus question on Pakistan.

Troll thread, I did not see this anywhere in the link:

You are just basing this part of your article for burning up sentiments that don't need any further fuel:

"I think we have to pay more attention, not less, to Pakistan," Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said. "I would guess that our number one foreign policy problem over the next 10 years will be Pakistan. It's nuclear. It's poor. It's ethnically divided and it's never had good leadership."

You forgot to mention the major crux of the article:

According to the GlobalPost report, Pakistan's government has been hiding its involvement in the raid to avoid a public backlash, and especially reprisals from Taliban and Al Qaeda sympathizers.

In recent weeks, popular anger in Pakistan spiked when CIA contractor Raymond Davis killed two Pakistanis, on top of disagreements over U.S. drone attacks on Pakistani territory.

The GlobalPost article cites a senior Pakistani Army official and an Abbottabad resident, who claimed Pakistani forces provided military support for the operation, such as sealing off the area around bin Laden's compound and telling neighborhood residents to turn off their lights two hours before the attack.

In addition, the article quotes a senior military official who said Gen. David Petraeus, current commander of the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan and soon to be director of the CIA, held a one-on-one meeting with Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, Pakistan army chief of staff, to to discuss the details of the operation on April 25 in Islamabad.

This account completely differs from what both U.S. and Pakistan officials have been saying about the raid.

Pakistan Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir has maintained that his country was clueless about the raid (which was apparently carried out by U.S. "stealth" helicopters flying below the radar) until it was underway. He said the army scrambled two F-16 fighter jets when it was aware that foreign helicopters were hovering over the city of Abbottabad, but they did not arrive in time to intervene.

On Thursday, Pakistan's army called for cuts in the number of American military personnel inside the country to protest the raid, and it threatened to cut cooperation with Washington if it stages more unilateral raids on its territory. A small number of U.S. soldiers have been training Pakistani forces in counter-insurgency operations.

Anyone need mithai to celebrate this first attack ?? Bilal, I don't believe anything in GoP indeed useless.

US defies again, First drone strike in Pakistan since bin Laden raid; 12 dead

Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) -- A suspected U.S. drone struck and killed targets in Pakistan's tribal region Friday, the first such attack since American troops killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden north of Islamabad earlier this week.

Two Pakistani intelligence officials told CNN that 12 suspected militants were killed in the assault in the Data Khel region of North Waziristan, one of the seven districts of Pakistan's volatile tribal region bordering Afghanistan.

The drone, an unmanned aircraft, attacked a militant hideout and a vehicle carrying militants.

The U.S. operation targeting bin Laden intensified discord and highlighted the mistrust between Pakistan and the United States, which did not inform the Pakistanis of the raid in the military garrison town of Abbottabad.

Before that dramatic operation, many Pakistanis had been particularly displeased with the controversial practice of targeting militants with unmanned aircraft because civilians have died in the operations.

Last month, 44 people were killed in a drone strike in Pakistan's tribal region and the government of Pakistan formally asked the U.S. government for an apology.

After that strike, frequency of the drone strikes was reduced.

CNN's Islamabad bureau has counted only four drone strikes over the last month and a half. Friday's suspected drone strike was the 21st this year compared to 111 in all of 2010. There was no immediate comment on the strike from the United States.

The intelligence officials asked not be named because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

Imran Khan -- head of a right-wing political party in Pakistan -- has warned that his party and followers will disrupt the flow of supplies through Pakistan to NATO troops in Afghanistan if the strikes aren't stopped.

His group held a sit-in protest against the strikes in Peshawar last month. Around 8,000 to 10,000 people participated.

:blah::blah::blah:

It will not happen and nobody will invade Pakistan & there is no need to write from fiction. You have to understand how bravely Pakistan facing and controlling dangerous games and i pray that Pakistan will handle these problems and will play leading role in South Asian political & strategical issues.

May God help Pakistan.

Anyone need mithai to celebrate this first attack ?? Bilal, I don't believe anything in GoP indeed useless.

US defies again, First drone strike in Pakistan since bin Laden raid; 12 dead

Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) -- A suspected U.S. drone struck and killed targets in Pakistan's tribal region Friday, the first such attack since American troops killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden north of Islamabad earlier this week.

Two Pakistani intelligence officials told CNN that 12 suspected militants were killed in the assault in the Data Khel region of North Waziristan, one of the seven districts of Pakistan's volatile tribal region bordering Afghanistan.

The drone, an unmanned aircraft, attacked a militant hideout and a vehicle carrying militants.

The U.S. operation targeting bin Laden intensified discord and highlighted the mistrust between Pakistan and the United States, which did not inform the Pakistanis of the raid in the military garrison town of Abbottabad.

Before that dramatic operation, many Pakistanis had been particularly displeased with the controversial practice of targeting militants with unmanned aircraft because civilians have died in the operations.

Last month, 44 people were killed in a drone strike in Pakistan's tribal region and the government of Pakistan formally asked the U.S. government for an apology.

After that strike, frequency of the drone strikes was reduced.

CNN's Islamabad bureau has counted only four drone strikes over the last month and a half. Friday's suspected drone strike was the 21st this year compared to 111 in all of 2010. There was no immediate comment on the strike from the United States.

The intelligence officials asked not be named because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

Imran Khan -- head of a right-wing political party in Pakistan -- has warned that his party and followers will disrupt the flow of supplies through Pakistan to NATO troops in Afghanistan if the strikes aren't stopped.

His group held a sit-in protest against the strikes in Peshawar last month. Around 8,000 to 10,000 people participated.

Please understand that this is just the opinion of a Democrat Senator (the 10 years thing), the US is having trouble keeping up with the costs & other implications from this war as it is right now (it spends $2 billion per week in Afghanistan for military purposes only), & is already getting out of control. Obama has already started the withdrawal of a few US troops from Afghanistan right now.

The thing I see, when US withdrawal of Afghanistan, the world continue watching spotlight on Pakistan via GoP/Army, which is home to safe haven of terrorists. US back home is rebuilding economy while Al Qaeda is busy growing.

If terrorists revenge again on US or Afghanistan, they will likely point fingers on Pakistan. Do you think US is going to quiet and sit?

If that is what the US Senator thinks, he needs to ask his own administration as to why do they come back to Pakistan again and again. And like Senator Kerry says that US critical interests are to align with Pakistan. And in my opinion this would not be for only 10 years, it will be far far longer than that.

The thing I see, when US withdrawal of Afghanistan, the world continue watching spotlight on Pakistan via GoP/Army, which is home to safe haven of terrorists. US back home is rebuilding economy while Al Qaeda is busy growing.
If terrorists revenge again on US or Afghanistan, they will likely point fingers on Pakistan. Do you think US is going to quiet and sit?

Why do you think 'Al Qaida is busy growing'? I thought that even before OBL death AQaida has been rejected by the world's Muslims everywhere including in Pakistan.

I really think that you are going overboard in calling the GoP a 'safe haven' for terrorists. As @Agno has pointed out in another topic here there was no 'mansion' where OBL was hiding and that it was not out of question for someone to stay here hidden for long. Why is having an 800 meters proximity to a military academy a case to make 'Pakistan' culpable? Why is it being discounted that OBL was thought to be either dead or hiding in some cave, surrounded by 'a small group of Arab bodyguards, some of them have been instructed to shoot OBL if Americans are near'. This was the dominant narrative for almost 10 years. Was that not some intelligence failure or at least imagination failure? There are houses around military bases and academies all over Pakistan. There are probably 10,000 houses within Islamabad region itself where 4 men and few women could hide once they get in there gradually.

But Pakistani media team and leadership blew it by not jumping up the next instance of OBL death and start shouting that it was our intelligence which made it possible! The whole narrative is coming from Americans now. The 'do more' stick is now a baseball bat.

God forbids another terrorist attack on American soil! As it is there a 'shoot me' sign on the Pakistani state. The planners in Pakistani establishment should have planned to take immediate and vociferous credit for any future nabbing of OBL by anyone. After all, it was the Pakistani intelligence sharing which made this possible. But, no, we have rulers who are busy scoring political points against each other.

Back
Top Bottom