What's new

'Never-seen-before' security cover at R-Day for Obama, Modi

StormShadow

Reaction score
NEW DELHI: Security agencies of the US and India are bracing for one of their biggest challenges when US President Barack Obama and Prime Minister Narendra Modi share the dais this Republic Day.

Sources said security on the ground and in the air this January 26 will be of a kind "never seen before". The US Secret Service, CIA, Navy Seals and India's Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), Intelligence Bureau, paramilitary forces and Army will be working together round-the-clock to ensure the safety of the two leaders of the two largest democracies who face a high order of threat from global terrorist groups.

Sources in intelligence agencies said Obama and Modi figure high on the hit lists of Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), al-Qaida and Lashkar-e-Taiba. According to reports, Obama receives over 20 threats a day while Modi receives at least 10 threats on a daily basis.

While CIA, RAW, IB and other intelligence agencies will work in the background to gather information about suspicious activities on the web, US Navy Seals, the US Secret Service, Special Protection Group, NSG, paramilitary forces and Army will secure the ground. The two nations don't want to take any chances in the wake of recent reports of Indian youths joining terror organizations or being motivated to commit terror acts over the internet.

Sources said in the coming seven-eight weeks, it is expected that more than 100 intelligence inputs will be generated by CIA, IB and RAW and filtered messages about suspicious activities will be shared with security forces.

45367469.cms

A senior officer said security at this year's Republic Day would be "unmatchable". Without going into details, the officer said, "Usually, around 25,000 police, paramilitary and other officers work alone in Delhi to make Republic Day safe. But this time, the number of security, Army officers may touch 40,000 to 45,000 with Secret Service and SPG closely monitoring every security detail."

Sources said when Obama came to India in November 2010, more than 500 personnel including almost all White House security and staff arrived here in advance to make foolproof security arrangements for him. This time, the US may send a much larger contingent as Obama is attending a ceremony in the open.

Sources said several contingency routes and exits were likely to be worked out for Republic Day. From 7, RCR to the entire India Gate lawns, Maurya Sheraton and Taj hotel (where Obama's entourage stayed last time), every route will be monitored through CCTV cameras, surveillance equipment and satellites. Those who take part in the parade tableau are likely to undergo double security check and verification as they pass close to the dais where the leaders will sit.

An officer added that spectators may face more difficulty this year as almost all Metro stations within a radius of six to seven kilometers may be closed. People may also have to undergo extra security checks and watching the parade from close quarters may not be allowed.

Anti-sabotage checks, security drills and surveillance of India Gate will begin much earlier this time and air traffic over Delhi NCR is likely to be halted on January 26 till the end of the parade.

A senior security officer chose to downplay the arrangements but sources said every building within a radius of two kilometers would have snipers and commandos.

Usually, the US takes its own anti-aircraft measures wherever Obama visits, and even deploys warships, but the number could be higher this time due to heightened threat. Sources added that every phone call made from Pakistan and Dubai through satellite phones would be monitored by intelligence agencies around the event.

The security meets and coordination, sources said, has already begun and Indian officials are in touch with US embassy here.

45367473.cms

'Never-seen-before' security cover at R-Day for Obama, Modi - The Times of India

My dad was directly involved in RD parade for many years and I know how much hard work our soldiers put in for every RD parade.The preparation starts as early as November.
I hope India puts its best foot forward and a good security cover is given to Mr.Obama.Though I still think a radius of just 2kms is too small.

I hope nobody is planning fireworks to welcome Obama. :coffee:

Last edited:
My dad was directly involved in RD parade for many years and I know how much hard work our soldiers put in for every RD parade.The preparation starts as early as November.
I hope India puts its best foot forward and a good security cover is given to Mr.Obama.Though I still think a radius of just 2kms is too small.

I hope nobody is planning fireworks to welcome Obama. :coffee:
Salutes to your dad from my side. :)

Back
Top Bottom