What's new

Namaste USA! Hindi Lessons a Hit Abroad

Except some parts of TN, one can get by with Hindi in south India

You are obviously not from south India...

y not? all hindu prayers and hymns are in Sanskrit somewhat, i think most south Indians would relate better with Sanskrit than Hindi.

and most ppl don't speak it because Sanskrit isn't taught they way Hindi is. With Punjabi ,dogri ,himachli,Kashmiri ,haryanvi almost all Northern languages sharing strong similarity with hindi i think it would be harder to accept in north than south.

Speaking, writing, reading a language is worlds apart from repeating something each day for years which you have learned by heart....

I know there are many dialects in India....is Hindi the one that would be considered "national"? (as in national broadcast would be in it)

I know there are many dialects in India....is Hindi the one that would be considered "national"? (as in national broadcast would be in it)

Not just dialects.... there are even languages which arent related to each other..
ANd yes, Hindi, together with English, are the two official national languages of India.

Yeah, you can consider Hindi to be national language of sorts. Btw, other languages spoken across India aren't dialects, those are absolutely unique languages.

Yeah, you can consider Hindi to be national language of sorts. Btw, other languages spoken across India aren't dialects, those are absolutely unique languages.
I was using "dialect" loosely...like saying English is a "dialect" of German (true in a sense...but certainly unique languages.....are most Indian languages at least this related? or entirely different families?)

So you meant dialect as in root of a word, or like from the same base script such as "Latin"? Well, as far as I know most Indian languages don't even share a common base script.

@Dillinger can be of further help if you are interested.

I was using "dialect" loosely...like saying English is a "dialect" of German (true in a sense...but certainly unique languages.....are most Indian languages at least this related? or entirely different families?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes....that is basically what I meant. So many non-"Indo-European" languages? (We have a few in Europe....Basque etc...)

Yes....that is basically what I meant. So many non-"Indo-European" languages? (We have a few in Europe....Basque etc...)

yep pretty much .

South_Asian_Language_Families.jpg

Ah....I was at least familiar with the Dravidian (original inhabitants before the Aryan invasion from what I understand). Are most of the other language groups related to a Dravidian "family"? (outside Iranian and Tibeto-Burman)

Ah....I was at least familiar with the Dravidian (original inhabitants before the Aryan invasion from what I understand). Are most of the other language groups related to a Dravidian "family"?

Languages in India can be broadly divided into these two categories . Indo-Aryans in up north and Dravidian in south with a few other languages further north and north east .

And Aryan Invasion Theory is a Hornet's nest . Stay away from it :P .

Languages in India can be broadly divided into these two categories . Indo-Aryans in up north and Dravidian in south with a few other languages further north and north east .

And Aryan Invasion Theory is a Hornet's nest . Stay away from it :P .
Lol....I subscribe to the theory that "proto-Indo-Europeans" expanded from the steppes west and south-east.....invasion or peaceful integration I am not sure of....

Lol....I subscribe to the theory that "proto-Indo-Europeans" expanded from the steppes west and south-east.....invasion or peaceful integration I am not sure of....

No proof that it happened into India. Not many archaeologist accept that proposition, actually almost all emphatically reject the idea.. Genetic studies have largely buried that theory. A unexplained linguistic connection does remain.

Back
Top Bottom