What's new

Naked selfies extracted from 'factory reset' phones

Oh shit.Deleting of search history also dont help.
Need to be vrry careful.

How Do I Securely Erase My Phone Before I Sell It?

As someone above said - deleting normally just deletes the index.
Imagine your files are pages of a book. There's a table of contents that keeps track of which page your files are in.
Deleting a file normally just removes the reference from the table of contents to the page, it doesn't not actually remove the page.
So someone can scan through the book page by page and rebuild the table of contents - hence recovering deleted files.

You need to either 'zero out the data', which essentially means erasing all the pages, making them blank - or encrypt the drive and delete - an encrypted drive can be recovered but without a key (password), it cannot be converted original files. It's just a jumble of uncoordinated letters.

If that is the case then Apple need not to worry about Samsung anymore......This can be their "USP"

and you caught him pants down.....:P

bas ker yaar " is omar mai yehi dekhna baqi tha " :o:

rofl what would anyone do with my naked selfies anyway. useless news

This is not unexpected. Even when you delete an image on a laptop/desktop it just deletes the index. The image is still there until something overwrites it. I think Apple supposedly has a wipe command but who really is going to trust it as it just erases some encryption key. Unless your phone sits there spinning through all the memory you can't be confident things are gone.

but how does it get the free space? if the file is still there and not deleted?

The deleted file is now part of free space. The file is still there, but if you add a new file, it will overwrite deleted files. Hope that makes sense.

Just like your PC, the content deleted is actually not deleted it just is de-linked just like a bridge is broken in the middle; you connect it and you get to it. Data Restoration is a big business on all levels specially on corporate levels.

Back
Top Bottom