Nasi Goreng/ Fried rice

1226bb790bffc6c5f1b20431affd8ca2.jpg

Malay pickle

a040effa01807ef0147f7472fe170440.jpg

a811168e76401fc750b5a54241e9711d.jpg

And of cause Wattalapan

image008.jpg

we own Puttu,Appam,porotta and idiappam
you have Pongal,thosai,idli,medhu vadai and filter kappi..
Nah Not really, they are all common afaik.
Parotta is actually a variation of north Indian Paratha

Edit:anyway lets not derail this thread!

Last edited:
Nah Not really, they are all common afaik.
Parotta is actually a variation of north Indian Paratha

SL Tamil food is basically what you get in TN.. Vadai, Dhosa, Pittu, Parata, Roti, Kanji etc

Probably maybe the sea food dishes may vary little like the Jaffna crab curry and the Batticaloa Fish dishes

Are all these dishes made from Jackfruit as i have a Jackfruit tree & love it but never tried it curried ?
Yes, of course. Now you can try them out. Here are the recipes.
Kiri-Kos (White Jack-fruit curry): Sri Lanka Recipes : Malini's Kitchen
Polos Curry (Green Jack Fruit) : Sri Lanka Recipes : Malini's Kitchen
Kos Mallum (Jack fruit) | Sri Lankan Food & Recipes

All of them seem to be very difficult to cook.
Added to that, the cooking styles and techniques are also different from person to person due to the amount of spices used . Therefore, you will find different tastes although it is the same dish.

Last edited:
Our Cuisine has more similarity to Lankans than Tamils........................
It's not just the cuisine from what i have experienced.. Most other aspects as well
Salagama people believe that their ancestors arrived in Sri Lanka, from a village named 'Sali-Gramam', or 'Shali-Gramam' b. which is currently known as "Chandigar" in India, Capital city of Punjab but the moor community in beruwala believes that they came from "Saliya Mangalam or Saliya Pattanam from Kerala.
The Salagama have a belief, that they originated from saligrama Brahmins. According to this belief Saliyas were of Brahmin origin and were brought across the sea from Malabar (i.e. Kerala) by ship. However, since they would 'lose caste' if they touched the water, they had to be carried ashore by moors on their heads,which is depicted in their flag.
According to this tradition, the ancestral Salagamas arrived in Sri Lanka from Kerala in several waves after accepting migration invitations from several Sinhala Kings, during various periods.
Brahmins at Beruwala assimilated well into the Sinhalese community and their descendants formed the Salagama caste, along with "Agampadi"Mercenary Soldiers who came from Kerala & Tamil Nadu.
Salagama Caste
Lasith Malinga is also from Salagama caste, Rathgama area.
I think, we should start a thread to discuss about Sri Lankan communal history as well.

Last edited:
I want to try the Jackfruit curry dish. Don't they put coconut milk in that, too?

Back
Top Bottom