Muslim Girl Can Marry Once She Completes 15 Years of Age: Gujarat High Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iggy

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
AHMEDABAD: A Muslim girl can marry when she attains puberty or completes 15 years of age, the Gujarat High Court has said.

The court made the observation while quashing legal proceedings under the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act against a Muslim youth who had married a 17-year-old girl of his community.

Justice J B Pardiwala in the order passed on December 2 said that according to the Muslim Personal Law, a Muslim girl, if she attains puberty or completes the age of 15 years, is "competent" to get married.

"It is not in dispute that the boy and girl both are Muslims. According to the Personal Law of Muslims, the girl no sooner than she attains the puberty or completes 15 years, whichever is earlier, is competent to get married without the consent of her parents," the order said.

The court gave the judgement in connection with a plea filed by a Surat-based youth Yusuf Lokhat seeking to set aside the charge sheet filed against him in a that city's court under several sections of Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006.

"It appears that the parents of the girl have also now accepted the marriage. The man and his wife both are personally present in the Court. They confirm about their marriage. The girl submits that she is happily residing with her husband at her matrimonial home. Having regard to the peculiar facts of the case, in my view, no case is made out to prosecute the criminal proceedings further," the order said.

As per the case details, Lokhat married a 17-year-old girl from his community in February this year. Following the marriage, the girl's father, who was initially against the marriage, wrote to a Superintendent of the 'Children Home for Girls' in Surat, who had initiated legal proceedings against the boys and other three persons known to the boy.

so what is wrong with this in Massachusetts 12 year girl can marry.

AHMEDABAD: A Muslim girl can marry when she attains puberty or completes 15 years of age, the Gujarat High Court has said.

The court made the observation while quashing legal proceedings under the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act against a Muslim youth who had married a 17-year-old girl of his community.

Justice J B Pardiwala in the order passed on December 2 said that according to the Muslim Personal Law, a Muslim girl, if she attains puberty or completes the age of 15 years, is "competent" to get married.

"It is not in dispute that the boy and girl both are Muslims. According to the Personal Law of Muslims, the girl no sooner than she attains the puberty or completes 15 years, whichever is earlier, is competent to get married without the consent of her parents," the order said.

The court gave the judgement in connection with a plea filed by a Surat-based youth Yusuf Lokhat seeking to set aside the charge sheet filed against him in a that city's court under several sections of Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006.

"It appears that the parents of the girl have also now accepted the marriage. The man and his wife both are personally present in the Court. They confirm about their marriage. The girl submits that she is happily residing with her husband at her matrimonial home. Having regard to the peculiar facts of the case, in my view, no case is made out to prosecute the criminal proceedings further," the order said.

As per the case details, Lokhat married a 17-year-old girl from his community in February this year. Following the marriage, the girl's father, who was initially against the marriage, wrote to a Superintendent of the 'Children Home for Girls' in Surat, who had initiated legal proceedings against the boys and other three persons known to the boy.

---
:hitwall:
hope either HC will review or SC of india will reconsider it

Nothing new here Mohamed himself married a 6yr old girl and consummated the marriage when she was 9 and in desert land of Arabia there is no legal age for shaadi in Saudi land

Germany you can marry at 14? lol are you on crack?
It's true.

Yeah I was shocked that Germany being a western country would allow marriage at 14 lol
I'm sure there are some European countries who do allow it though with parental permission. Spain definitely did until the current government raised it to 16.

In Britain you can marry once you turn 16. In Germany 14. In Japan 13. It varies all over the world.

In India, it is 18 years for Girls and 21 years for Boys. This ruling creates an exception for muslims.

I think it should be 21 for the sake of prevailing maturity.

I dragged my wedding date ceremony for 4 years late due to being superstition about my future. Now happily married for 2 years

It sounds a Sharia court ruling .... All hail to pseudo secular seeds ....

All one needs to have a child marriage in India is to convert an underage girl to islam even though she'll hardly know a shit about it ,Great.

The same court will give lessons on how communalism is a threat to secular fundamentals of the constitution and we will be discussing it.:lazy2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom