What's new

MRCA ::: India May Cancel Fighter Competition

sudhir007

Reaction score
India May Cancel Fighter Competition | AVIATION WEEK

Victor Komardin, the deputy director of Russia’s arms export agency Rosoboronexport, contends that the two short-listed candidates for India’s Medium Multirole Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) competition have effectively ruled themselves out by putting too high a price on their fighters.

India’s politicians told the local press earlier this year that the MMRCA contract was a $10 billion deal, but reports from India in recent weeks say the manufacturers of the two finalist aircraft, the Eurofighter Typhoon and Dassault Rafale, are each asking for around $20 billion to fulfill the 126-aircraft order, Komardin says.

“Against the backdrop of the [financial] crisis [sweeping the world], it is hard to see how any government would allow such a waste of money, particularly when there are social problems” to deal with, Komardin says. “And there is no imminent threat to India’s [sovereignty]. My prediction is that this tender will be canceled.” Komardin spoke to Aviation Week on the sidelines of the LIMA Airshow in Langkawi, Malaysia.

India and Russia are close partners on defense. Rosoboronexport’s MiG-35 was on the long list for India’s MMRCA competition. Komardin says the MiG-35 was withdrawn from the competition before the short list was decided. If India issues a new tender, it creates an opportunity for Russia and the U.S. to rejoin the competition.

Why russia did not offered its su 37/47 in MMRCA instead of mig-35?

Its heavy fighter buddy , our tender is for medium fighters . But it doesnt make any sense in war whether its medium or heavy fighter . Su35mki is my dream .

Indeed..........su-35 is heavy long range fighter.................but we don't need to buy su35 bcoz our super sukhois r preety much on level of su35

Indeed..........su-35 is heavy long range fighter.................but we don't need to buy su35 bcoz our super sukhois r preety much on level of su35
but our mki is a jumbo on a radar . What ever might be the reason Su35 has better avionics, maneuverability,agility,stealth than Su30mki .

Why russia did not offered its su 37/47 in MMRCA instead of mig-35?

Su-47 was just an experimental aircraft for the PAK FA and not intended for production. I think they ended up deciding the forward swept wing was not worth it. As for the Su-37, this was a technology demonstrator, and most of its tech was incorporated in the Su-30MKI that India has. I think the IAF wanted to diversify and get a cheaper medium fighter to supplement the Su-30MKI. Unfortunately, the shortlisted aircraft probably cost more than the soon to come upgraded super Sukhoi, and the super Sukhoi will be far superior to the Typhoon and Rafale. If I was in charge of decision making, I'd just order more super Su-30s. Unfortunately, the politics of diversifying the suppliers to European manufacturers is probably the main factor in the MMRCA...

We need to give our airforce something that is worthy machine. If not, we might as well give them some crop dusters and say get on with it. $20 billion is quite some price though.

LOL so much talk about the MMRCA, now you guys wanna cancell the deal. The companies that took part are gonna be mad at you guys:taz:

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

We need to give our airforce something that is worthy machine. If not, we might as well give them some crop dusters and say get on with it. $20 billion is quite some price though.

You guys are buying planes like typhoon for your airforce, $20 billion sounda a good deal to me for 126 of them

If it is cancelled I call up on all IAF pilots to ground their planes and walk away. Its not worth flying for such an airforce.

Back
Top Bottom