What's new

MRCA Competition-threat to PAF?

Lockheed F-16

Reaction score
How you all know, India will buy some high-tech aircrafts like the F 16, Typhoon or Rafale. What is the answer of the PAF to it? Can we fight with the existing fleet against aircrafts like Gripen or Rafale?

india is not buying anyting like rafale or typhoon or gripen. instead they choose to develop the Tejas and working on 5th generation aircraft with russia

But iam sure they will go for the f-18's!!

5th Generation Aircraft In development
• Russia and India
o Sukhoi PAK FA and Sukhoi/HAL FGFA (maiden flight expected in 2009)

they are already wasting money on Tejas project. they willnever go for F-18

Americans are favorites to win the MRCA competition.

Boeing with F18 E/F & Generakl Dynamics with F16/70 have offered massive transfer of tech...

Just for the record.

India has brought off the USA the follwing.

Yesterday $2 billion deal for P8 posedion maritime planes x 8

Nov $1 billion deal for C130J long range extended transport planes

2007 USA Troop and helicopter ship 10,000 tonne in weight $100m

over 40 engines of General ectric for TEJAS FIGHTER mark 1

" so to say india won,t give USA MRCA contract is way off the mark

They might end up buying the F-16IN, just for the sake of pissing us off. :P

In my opinion, they'd probably end up buying the MIG-35. Considering how India is familiar with Russian technology and performance and have always been satisfied. Not only that, production would be cost-effective, opening more options for them to spend on other sectors of the Military.

Secondly, buying a latest fighter from USA would create some troubles between the Kremlin and India. Bailing out on Russia in a decision like this would definitely create some problems.

It's anyone's guess for now, so let's just wait and see.

Last edited:
I think the Rafale will win it, full ToT (including AESA tech) and even source codes. It will give the IAF a massive new capability and it is free from American export regulations and restrictions as it is all French. SPECTRA would not be provided though as it is forbidden to be exported.

RUSSIA has lost the MRCA deal Already....

India accepted the MIG35 as a candidate just for LIP SERVICE..

Already Russia will have 230 su30 mki in IAF until 2030.

ADD PAF FA 5th generation project and its heavily russian based.

IF India wanted russian only WHY BOTHER WITH GLOBAL TENDER...

IAF wants USA APG79 radar and the other tech that comes with it.

BOEING & LOCKHEED are all over india... offering massive kickbacks and TOT....

Infact since india was given the nuclear deal its guranteed it will be a USA MRCA.

BUT WHICH ONE.

F16 BLOCK 70 ??????

OR

F18 SUPER HORNET E/F ????

I think it will be F18..I personally like Mig35 and Eurofighter!

IAF wants USA APG79 radar and the other tech that comes with it.

BOEING & LOCKHEED are all over india... offering massive kickbacks and TOT....

If I am right India will not get ToT for the AESA radar with the F18, I'm not sure about the F16 though.

dude haven't u heard any think about Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft Competition .

Indian MRCA Competition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

india should go for any of European fighter .

i am saying again and again that india will not go for typhon or rafale or gripen or any american jet

okay check this out

DERA study

Britain’s Defence Evaluation and Research Agency (now split into QinetiQ and DSTL) did an evaluation in 1994 (simulation based on the available data) comparing the Typhoon with some other modern fighters in how well they performed against an expected adversary aircraft, the Sukhoi Su-35. Due to the lack of information gathered on the 5th generation combat aircraft, the inability to take into account advances in avionics and weapons now fitted to the fighters tested, and lack of knowledge on the capabilities of the Su-35 during the time of this study it is not meant to be considered official and its results should be taken with a pinch of salt.

The study used real pilots flying the JOUST system of networked simulators. Various western aircraft supposed data were put in simulated combat against the Su-35. The results were:

Aircraft Odds vs. Su-35
Lockheed Martin/Boeing F-22 Raptor 10.1 : 1
Eurofighter Typhoon 4.5 : 1
Dassault Rafale C 1 : 1
McDonnell Douglas F-15C Eagle 0.8 : 1
Boeing F/A-18+ 0.4 : 1
McDonnell Douglas F/A-18C 0.3 : 1
General Dynamics F-16C 0.3 : 1

These results mean, for example, that in simulated combat, 4.5 Su-35s were shot down for every Typhoon lost. Missiles such as the KS-172 may be intended for large targets and not fighters, but their impact on a long range BVR engagement needs to be factored in.

The "F/A-18+" in the study was apparently not the current F/A-18E/F, but an improved version. All the western aircraft in the simulation were using an older version of the AMRAAM missile, except the Rafale which was using the MICA missile. This does not reflect the likely long-term air-to-air armament of Eurofighters (as well as Rafales), which will ultimately be equipped with the longer-range MBDA Meteor (while carrying the AMRAAM as an interim measure).

Back
Top Bottom