What's new

Mossad spy could face charges in 1 week

unicorn

Reaction score
Mossad spy could face charges in 1 week

ShowImage.ashx

Ilan Grapel, the Israeli-American citizen accused by Egyptian authorities of spying for Israel, could face indictment next week, Egyptian newspaper Al-Ahram reported Thursday.

According to the newspaper, Grapel confessed to charges that he was working for the Mossad to foment unrest in Egypt and recruit Egyptian citizens to help him in his espionage campaign. The paper added that Grapel confessed to sending his Mossad handlers intelligence reports on a daily basis from Internet cafes in the Egyptian capital.

The Al-Ahram report also stated that Grapel claimed to be Muslim on the visa application that he submitted at the Egyptian consulate in Tel Aviv.

In addition, he tried to gain intelligence on Egyptian popular opinion of the Hamas-Fatah unity deal and “penetrated” meetings of the Muslim Brotherhood and Salafist parties, Al- Ahram reported.

On Sunday, Grapel was arrested at his downtown Cairo hotel by state security officers and taken before Judge Hesham Badawi of the Supreme State Security Prosecution who ordered him detained for 15 days on charges of “spying on Egypt with the aim of harming its economic and political interests,” according to the MENA news agency.

Grapel was in Cairo working for a nonprofit organization helping African refugees.The New York native, who is currently enrolled as a law student at Emory University, served as a paratrooper in the IDF during the 2006 Second Lebanon War, where he was injured in combat.

shows the pattern or political uprisings in the middle east just didn't come out of now where

I wonder how many CIA/Mossad agents are working in our NGO's.

Or how many innocent aid workers are arested on trumped up charges? So far what they have is he sent emails home and went to some public meetings and aske some people what they thought of the palestinian deal. Wo Ho major spy work.

I send emails almost every day go to public meetings and talk to people about what they think of problems in the middle east.
OMG arest me im a mosad spy.

Or how many innocent aid workers are arested on trumped up charges? So far what they have is he sent emails home and went to some public meetings and aske some people what they thought of the palestinian deal. Wo Ho major spy work.

I send emails almost every day go to public meetings and talk to people about what they think of problems in the middle east.

They might, if you ever visit an Arab country.

They might, if you ever visit an Arab country.

UAE killings sure they wernt spies just good ol israelis posing as somebdy else with fake passports....enjoyin the sun n killin ppl.

OMG i am jokin......NOT.

Grapel confessed to charges that he was working for the Mossad ........ Claimed he was a muslim.....

:lol::lol:

U can also get arrested violantly if ur protest in israel......even if ur a american jew.

Since when Jews started caring for best interests of Arabs? He wasn't just asking some questions.He was inciting people to commit acts of violence.

They didn`t need incitement to commit violence buddy.
@Pakistani
Yeah those were Israeli agents but this man in quetion read Israeli newspapers in public.
I know logic is a rare thing when Israel is concerned for a lot of Muslims but you can see the absurdness in it can`t you?

An Egyptian judicial official said yesterday that the prosecution does not plan to prosecute an American-Israeli man who was arrested in Cairo and accused of spying for Israel.

For the first time since Ilan Grapel was arrested, about a week, Judge Hisham Badawi of the Supreme State Security Prosecution issued a categorical denial of published reports ostensibly based on leaks from the investigation.

"Everything published in the Al Ahram newspaper this morning is fundamentally mistaken," Badawi was quoted as telling the Internet newspaper The Seventh Day yesterday.

Al Ahram had also reported that before coming to Egypt, Grapel had tried to get a visa to Egypt from the Egyptian Embassy in Tel Aviv by declaring he was a Muslim.

The newspaper, basing itself on what it said were leaks from the investigation room, said Grapel had sent numerous messages to the Mossad. He sent emails from various cafes in Cairo to cover his tracks, in addition to his efforts to collect information on the Palestinian reconciliation agreement and the Egyptian response to the post-Mubarak leadership.

According to the report, Grapel had attended meetings and conferences of various Egyptian political movements and parties, ranging from the Liberals to the Islamic streams. He followed military intelligence reports and tried to incite young people against the Supreme Military Council, which is considered the leader of the revolution, the paper said.

Al Ahram also reported that Grapel tried to assess the balance of power among the various political movements and predict what was likely to happen if the Muslim Brotherhood was to win the upcoming election.

According to the report, Grapel submitted information daily that was based on his frequent meetings with ordinary Egyptians.

Egyptian media outlets reported yesterday that representatives of the Israeli Embassy, including Ambassador Yitzhak Levanon, had met senior Egyptian Foreign Ministry and public prosecution officials, giving them documents that could help Grapel during questioning. Egyptian Foreign Minister Nabil al-Arabi refused to meet with the Israelis, referring them to mid-level officials.

Friends and relatives of Grapel yesterday expressed concern about developments in his case, with one friend, Josh Kahn, saying reports that Grapel had tried to pass as a Muslim were totally illogical.

Kahn, who keeps in touch with Grapel's family in the United States, said that it sounded like a story Egyptian intelligence would make up to justify his arrest, since he is not a spy.

When was the last time you landed in Israel and greeted with their grand welcome process, which happens to include investigating your private parts.

When was the last time you landed in Israel and greeted with their grand welcome process, which happens to include investigating your private parts.

They skip that part it would take to long and hold up the other passengers. ;)

Back
Top Bottom